Intel on on Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama's OL and more

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I`ve about arrived at the conclusion that the general consensus of the board is that regardless of the opponent`s defensive scheme ( they could put all 11 in the box ), we should be able to run the ball at will. Anything short of that is subject for major concern. Do I personally think that the O line is as proficient as we want it to be and as we need it to be, particularly later on ? No, and I don`t think CNS thinks so either. Do I think that a reasonably talented front 7 can have an impact on our running game ( a la aTm )? Most assuredly, and they did. I would submit that the genesis of most of the hand wringing concerning the running game stems from the aTm game and their total sell out to stop the inside running game. So what happens? The OC and Tua took advantage of what they gave them and ate them up through the air. Certainly, there may be some positional adjustments on the O line, but they are a talented group. I predict that when the others on our schedule realize that to do what the Aggies tried to do is suicide, particularly if they don`t have 4 or 5 first round NFL caliber DBs running around in their secondary, we`ll see more " normal " fronts and more lanes open up. I personally think we`ll be fine in the running game, if we keep Tua healthy.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Out of curiosity does anyone have a breakdown or know of one that shows how successful we are at different runs and into different gaps?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I've re watched most of the aTm game several times, skipping to Bama's offensive series. I don't think anyone on here will argue that it is in a team's best interest to play toward their strength's and keep from having to play from their weaknesses. It very well maybe that the passing game is this offense's strength this season. We pass the ball with ease yet seems like more of a struggle in effort to run the ball. That doesn't mean the team gives up on trying to get better at the running game. But every team will do one thing better than the other. No matter how much they practice both. Our OL pass blocks better than they run block to this point. Tua's chances of completing a ten yard pass is more likely than one of our RB's breaking off a ten yard run. It's bizarro world for Bama fans right now and we think "something's wrong". But I don't think anything really is "wrong" as much as it is different. Our traditional weakness is now our strength and our traditional strength is now our weakness. But the end result (which is all that matters) is we have the most potent offense in the country. And it's not like our running is actually "bad". It's just not our strength as it traditionally has been. But you can tell by Saban's comments that he wants more success from the running game so rest assured there will be improvement. But with the talent we have in Tua, don't expect the running game to be as good as our passing game. As good as D Harris and N Harris are, they aren't generational type talents like Tua is at their position. So my guess is we're going to ride Tua's left arm as far as it will carry us.
I still believe the running game will get there. Womack is back with 2nd team in practice this week. It's going to be interesting to see if he get a shot to play with 1's in next two weeks. Leatherwood is learning his position and is getting better each week. We have to remember that. We've had some good and bad moments.. but one thing to do is keep eyes on Cotton... I think we will see some kind of shuttling on OL soon.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Also Damien Harris said in an interview that there was missed opportunities in the game and some of the RBs weren't patient. I think we will see RBs having big game ... either this weekend or next weekend

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
The run game is a bit of an issue, the defensive front isn't. TAMU found some things with the QB run early but after halftime Mond had negative yards rushing, so it got fixed.

The ILBs can be tricked and take bad angles from time to time, which is something to watch, but not anything to lose sleep over.

The D-line is very good. Anyone worried about that may need to see a psychologist.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The run game is a bit of an issue, the defensive front isn't. TAMU found some things with the QB run early but after halftime Mond had negative yards rushing, so it got fixed.

The ILBs can be tricked and take bad angles from time to time, which is something to watch, but not anything to lose sleep over.

The D-line is very good. Anyone worried about that may need to see a psychologist.
At the risk of offending the Clemson DL, which we all know is the best in the past 30 years, I think Alabama's DL is one of the best in the country. That's 3 NFL first round talents playing there. The way the draft goes, they may not go in the first 32 picks, but they are on that level.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree. Saban said ILB are improving each week. They had too mental breakdown s and that came from lack of experience

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I think depth is the only DL concern. Depth and inexperience are an issue a the MLB positions. If those 2 stay healthy they will be lethal by the LSU game.

We just need folks to stay healthy and we need the backups to develop and the players to want to develop.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I think depth is the only DL concern. Depth and inexperience are an issue a the MLB positions. If those 2 stay healthy they will be lethal by the LSU game.
We just need folks to stay healthy and we need the backups to develop and the players to want to develop.
I just read that with Johnny Dwight coming back (he made the sack on the last play of the A&M game, I believe) we now have two complete, competent units on the DL. We can swap out our entire front and bring in a fresh set of guys if needed. That is big. The second unit needs some additional seasoning, but it's a positive development that they are coming along and that Dwight is back now.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Totally disagree on DL depth. LaBryan Ray is a big time player. Mathis and Dwight are good players that can provide good minutes. I even believe Musika and Wynn can contribute if needed. At linebacker, we need to get Benton and McMillon more Game reps. Wilson and Moses are terrific players but depth needs to be in place later in year. Hopefully the outside spots they continue to work in Mosley and Anoma. Anoma is a future star. Ale Kaho is a great player as well. The next few weeks should provide an opportunity to build depth and develop areas of the team that need work.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Totally disagree on DL depth. LaBryan Ray is a big time player. Mathis and Dwight are good players that can provide good minutes. I even believe Musika and Wynn can contribute if needed. At linebacker, we need to get Benton and McMillon more Game reps. Wilson and Moses are terrific players but depth needs to be in place later in year. Hopefully the outside spots they continue to work in Mosley and Anoma. Anoma is a future star. Ale Kaho is a great player as well. The next few weeks should provide an opportunity to build depth and develop areas of the team that need work.
Would not at all surprise me if Ale Kaho and Anoma are getting more snaps by the last 1/4 of the season, if not before. Also, I believe I saw where the staff has been pleased with the minutes that McMillon has played on the inside ( that`s big ).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Concerning the OL/Running Game, has Tua been given the green light to check out of run OR change them?

Seems like I read that he has not been given that "authority" just yet so I wonder if there are times the defenses are making last second adjustments and we are running into their adjustments?

Given what I've seen with Tua so far, I hope the staff is already easing him into the opportunity to change plays. If/when he gets to that level, our offense might even go to another gear.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I need to rewatch the game still but Anoma looked the part when he was in the game. I hope he gets more opportunities as the year progresses

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Mathis, Musika and Wyn haven't shown us much of anything. Not saying they are bad, but they have relatively little experience.
Ray and Dwight have shown competence in their play and are good.

But if Quinnen Williams goes out, can Musika or Wyn step in without a drop in production? That's a big ask.
Same goes for the other 2. Ray and Dwight might be able to swap for Buggs, but it's an even bigger ask for someone to step in for Raekwon Davis, who is eating double-teams at the moment.

The DL is thin depth wise. You've got 2 players with decent experience and production behind the starters and 2 unknowns with almost no experience and 1 journeyman lineman.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Concerning the OL/Running Game, has Tua been given the green light to check out of run OR change them?

Seems like I read that he has not been given that "authority" just yet so I wonder if there are times the defenses are making last second adjustments and we are running into their adjustments?

Given what I've seen with Tua so far, I hope the staff is already easing him into the opportunity to change plays. If/when he gets to that level, our offense might even go to another gear.
I don't think he has, and on RPO that is sort of decision that gets built into the play, you know what I mean?

I don't think he's like McCarron in 2013 or McElroy in 2010 yet. I expect him to be for sure next year, maybe even end of this year.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
To add something - expect teams to stop doubling Davis in future games. It's clear they thought he was the biggest threat on our D-line but with the emergence of Quinnen Williams and the steady pressure of Buggs, expect teams to either choose a different double team, increase protections across the line, or try to go 1v1 across the board. Doubling Davis has not stopped us from getting to the QB or opened huge holes in the middle for the run. Try something else.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
To add something - expect teams to stop doubling Davis in future games. It's clear they thought he was the biggest threat on our D-line but with the emergence of Quinnen Williams and the steady pressure of Buggs, expect teams to either choose a different double team, increase protections across the line, or try to go 1v1 across the board. Doubling Davis has not stopped us from getting to the QB or opened huge holes in the middle for the run. Try something else.
Hmmm. Sounds like a problem...glad its not ours! :biggrin2:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Mathis, Musika and Wyn haven't shown us much of anything. Not saying they are bad, but they have relatively little experience.
Ray and Dwight have shown competence in their play and are good.

But if Quinnen Williams goes out, can Musika or Wyn step in without a drop in production? That's a big ask.
Same goes for the other 2. Ray and Dwight might be able to swap for Buggs, but it's an even bigger ask for someone to step in for Raekwon Davis, who is eating double-teams at the moment.

The DL is thin depth wise. You've got 2 players with decent experience and production behind the starters and 2 unknowns with almost no experience and 1 journeyman lineman.
Exactly. The debate has been whether or not this is one of Bama's best teams and others here are pointing out that there is no experienced proven edge rusher with Terrell Lewis sidelined who would complement the three great down lineman. There is some excellent talent at the ILB positions but young relative to the long line of early round draft choices that have played the position.

I have thought about the 92 NC defense in comparison and believe this one has a ways to go. We will definitely know how much the team has grown when we travel to Baton Rouge.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.