Intel on on Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama's OL and more

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe I had lower expectations for this defense because of what left, but I’ve been pretty pleased with the first four games. There’s needed improvement for sure, but the next four games provide the time for it.

If we see the same problems against Tennessee that have been around the first month of the season, think there will be cause for worry. Until then, I’m going to believe (more like hope) the players are learning from their mistakes. The best way to learn is from failure, and these games allow for failure while still winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Concerning the OL/Running Game, has Tua been given the green light to check out of run OR change them?

Seems like I read that he has not been given that "authority" just yet so I wonder if there are times the defenses are making last second adjustments and we are running into their adjustments?

Given what I've seen with Tua so far, I hope the staff is already easing him into the opportunity to change plays. If/when he gets to that level, our offense might even go to another gear.
Nope. What's interesting is that Jalen was allowed to audible out last year, but Tua isn't.. I guess it's part of plan.. Hopefully we'll see him doing that this weekend.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Exactly. The debate has been whether or not this is one of Bama's best teams and others here are pointing out that there is no experienced proven edge rusher with Terrell Lewis sidelined who would complement the three great down lineman. There is some excellent talent at the ILB positions but young relative to the long line of early round draft choices that have played the position.

I have thought about the 92 NC defense in comparison and believe this one has a ways to go. We will definitely know how much the team has grown when we travel to Baton Rouge.
The D is not as good at this time, but IMO, the offense puts this team far above the '92 team overall.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I think everybody loves the starters. It is the depth that is the worry on the D-line.
The run game is a bit of an issue, the defensive front isn't. TAMU found some things with the QB run early but after halftime Mond had negative yards rushing, so it got fixed.

The ILBs can be tricked and take bad angles from time to time, which is something to watch, but not anything to lose sleep over.

The D-line is very good. Anyone worried about that may need to see a psychologist.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Perhaps they feared that every play would turn into a pass play... :)
This is both humorous and has a grain of truth. Tua is good enough no matter what defense he looks at he's likely to see where to go for a first down on any given play. He is so good that restraining him to keep things balanced and to eat up some clock might actually be warranted.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is both humorous and has a grain of truth. Tua is good enough no matter what defense he looks at he's likely to see where to go for a first down on any given play. He is so good that restraining him to keep things balanced and to eat up some clock might actually be warranted.
It's sort of along the lines of when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail... :D

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I’m confident that our D will improve, but we had major breakdowns on that side of the ball against AM. We lost contain on Mond big time on 3-4 big plays while the game was still competitive. The negative yardage and sacks mostly came in garbage time once the outcome was no longer in doubt thanks to our high power O. We need continuous, marked improvement before
November gets here and the schedule upgrades dramatically. With Saban and Coach Kool, I’m confident that will happen.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I’m confident that our D will improve, but we had major breakdowns on that side of the ball against AM. We lost contain on Mond big time on 3-4 big plays while the game was still competitive. The negative yardage and sacks mostly came in garbage time once the outcome was no longer in doubt. We need continuous, marked improvement before
November gets here and the schedule upgrades dramatically. With Saban and Coach Kool, I’m confident that will happen.
Call me an eternal optimist, but by that time I think that everything “clicks” and the defense is fine

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I beg to differ. D has played above expectations this season. We need to do better job of containment and tackle and we will be okay.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I agree completely that the D has played very well, above expectations, but I don't believe they're as good as the '92 defense yet. That's what I was referring to.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.