Intel on on Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama's OL and more

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't have an intel to share with or anything, but the article is good to read:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...otes_intel_on_tua_o-l.html#incart_river_index

Alabama coaches have been happy with how they've been able to spread the ball around to several different players in the passing game. Through four games last year, only one player had multiple touchdown catches -- Calvin Ridley, who had two at that point. There are already six players with multiple touchdown catches this year. Jerry Jeudy is tied for third-best nationally with six TD catches.
Word is that Dan Enos continues to be a great asset for the quarterback group. The combined numbers for Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts: 16 touchdown passes, only one interception and a 72 percent completion percentage.
-- The offensive line, to put it nicely, is still very much a work in progress, especially along the interior of the line. Left guard Lester Cotton, in particular, has been a problem area for the line thus far. Interestingly, Matt Womack, who was Alabama's starting right tackle last season, is back practicing now. We'll see if that eventually leads to some changes along the line.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I don't have an intel to share with or anything, but the article is good to read:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...otes_intel_on_tua_o-l.html#incart_river_index
It appears the new coaching hires have been fabulous with Enos leading the way. Kuligowski is probably the same on the DL. Gattis may be the most underrated hire with the job he is doing with the WRs. It's understandable that Tua is getting the lion's share of the credit but the WRs are often WIDE open, they catch the ball, they block well and are tough as nails for relatively skinny guys. Of course much of that credit goes to the kids themselves but CJG did a great job at PSU with their WRs and appears to be doing the same with Bama's. Though CNS gets a lot of credit for the DBs, evidently Scott is doing a great job. Maybe some technique or observation he has brought has led to the DBs turning back for the ball more quickly but it seems that is the case. On and on...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Alabama is usually at its peak when they run the ball down opponents throats mercilessly. See Georgia in 2012 as a prime example. This group has talent but it's still finding itself. To win big games in the SEC you have to be able to beat people on the line of scrimmage. Maybe the addition of Matt Womack shakes things up. Tua and the passing game are awesome but we need to get our edge back in the trenches. We need to get that fixed soon because in the next few weeks we will need to impose our will. Arkansas and Missouri are actually good defending the run. Would also like to see some of the back ups get valuable playing time so they can provide depth. Kedrick James and Tyrell Shavers are just two names. Anoma and Benton as well.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Alabama is usually at its peak when they run the ball down opponents throats mercilessly. See Georgia in 2012 as a prime example. This group has talent but it's still finding itself. To win big games in the SEC you have to be able to beat people on the line of scrimmage. Maybe the addition of Matt Womack shakes things up. Tua and the passing game are awesome but we need to get our edge back in the trenches. We need to get that fixed soon because in the next few weeks we will need to impose our will. Arkansas and Missouri are actually good defending the run. Would also like to see some of the back ups get valuable playing time so they can provide depth. Kedrick James and Tyrell Shavers are just two names. Anoma and Benton as well.
I'm not worried about the run game. A&M not only loaded the box, they ran numerous inside blitzes as well. Whatever reason, we decided for the most part to run into the teeth of that, as opposed to bouncing outside. Jimbo had chosen his poison. I'm not sure why he almost disregarded Tua, but he did. Things will change, as time goes on and Womack comes back...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I'm not worried about the run game. A&M not only loaded the box, they ran numerous inside blitzes as well. Whatever reason, we decided for the most part to run into the teeth of that, as opposed to bouncing outside. Jimbo had chosen his poison. I'm not sure why he almost disregarded Tua, but he did. Things will change, as time goes on and Womack comes back...
Just a comment I went back and looked at Ben Litvin's https://twitter.com/Ben_Litvin analysis of Bama's run attempts against TAMU . After going over the running plays a number of times it appears that there is a lot of work to do all around to have a more effective run game. The ultimate of course would be to have Tua be able to check out of plays when he sees they are outnumbered at the point of attack.

As I think about it Jimbo had a pretty good defensive game plan. Neither team was able to cover the tight end but if he had managed to get Hentges covered he had a chance to keep the game close after stopping the run game.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm not worried about the run game.
I guess my biggest curiosity is how committed Alabama will be to the run game. It is pretty appealing to know you can dial up big play on a downfield pass almost at will (heh typed the wrong word), but it takes a real concerted effort to wear a team down on the ground.

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Matt Wyatt is out with his film study of key plays in the TAMU game. Interesting to see Tua's work from another QB's viewpoint.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I guess my biggest curiosity is how committed Alabama will be to the run game. It is pretty appealing to know you can dial up big play on a downfield pass almost at all, but it takes a real concerted effort to wear a team down on the ground.
I agree. I'm pretty sure the rushing yard totals will increase as the season progreses. CNS has always talked about having balance when it comes to the offense. And its going to be several matchups where there running game will be crucial in my opinion. I won't be surprised if we see the running game be a focus point Saturday.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Destroying ULL is not going to be hard. Their defense got their doors blown off by MSU. Fitzgerald had over 100 yards rushing by himself. When Jalen replaces Tua in the game, they still may not be able to stop us from scoring. Next week at Arkansas will be challenging because they have a very good run defense. Othewise lousy team but they really gave the barn fits last week. Should be interesting to see how our team improves and adjusts week by week.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Matt Wyatt is out with his film study of key plays in the TAMU game. Interesting to see Tua's work from another QB's viewpoint.

I love his analysis. Wish he would throw a couple of “you dead” and “everyone eats” in there though. 🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I love his analysis. Wish he would throw a couple of “you dead” and “everyone eats” in there though. 藍藍藍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The unOfficial Assistant aka John Doe is out today with his look at defensive play against TAMU to satisfy your need for more exciting commentary.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I love his film studies. He gives some great insights.
Looking at the several analysis I have viewed after the TAMU game there is a lot of work to be done on the front seven, the offensive line and the run game.

We could expect a similar game plan from LSU and Auburn after viewing Jimbo's success at stopping the run with his front seven and opening up the middle of the defensive front for QB runs. There were defensive adjustments in the second half but there was clearly a hole in the defensive scheme that Mont was able to exploit.

On the other side of the ball the staff has to be questioning how effective the position shifts have been particularly moving Alex Leatherwood inside and how long will be required to get Piersbacher comfortable at the Center signal caller position.

This is clumsily written but I just don't see the offensive line and defensive front nearly up to the level of previous NC teams and the depth on the defensive front is lacking. I know CNS recognizes this and smarts over this being called a super team. It may become that but not yet!

squeally dan

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2008
I'm a fan of a solid running game, but who do we so desperately need it for? Arkansas? Tennessee? Missouri? I hope they can get it going soon but don't really understand this post. This isn't the same kind of Alabama team we are used to seeing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Looking at the several analysis I have viewed after the TAMU game there is a lot of work to be done on the front seven, the offensive line and the run game.

We could expect a similar game plan from LSU and Auburn after viewing Jimbo's success at stopping the run with his front seven and opening up the middle of the defensive front for QB runs. There were defensive adjustments in the second half but there was clearly a hole in the defensive scheme that Mont was able to exploit.

On the other side of the ball the staff has to be questioning how effective the position shifts have been particularly moving Alex Leatherwood inside and how long will be required to get Piersbacher comfortable at the Center signal caller position.

This is clumsily written but I just don't see the offensive line and defensive front nearly up to the level of previous NC teams and the depth on the defensive front is lacking. I know CNS recognizes this and smarts over this being called a super team. It may become that but not yet!
That's basically what he's been telling people or trying to, without calling out specific players. These problems have been covered up so far with an amazingly effective passing game. Without Tua there would have been a ton of three and outs...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've re watched most of the aTm game several times, skipping to Bama's offensive series. I don't think anyone on here will argue that it is in a team's best interest to play toward their strength's and keep from having to play from their weaknesses. It very well maybe that the passing game is this offense's strength this season. We pass the ball with ease yet seems like more of a struggle in effort to run the ball. That doesn't mean the team gives up on trying to get better at the running game. But every team will do one thing better than the other. No matter how much they practice both. Our OL pass blocks better than they run block to this point. Tua's chances of completing a ten yard pass is more likely than one of our RB's breaking off a ten yard run. It's bizarro world for Bama fans right now and we think "something's wrong". But I don't think anything really is "wrong" as much as it is different. Our traditional weakness is now our strength and our traditional strength is now our weakness. But the end result (which is all that matters) is we have the most potent offense in the country. And it's not like our running is actually "bad". It's just not our strength as it traditionally has been. But you can tell by Saban's comments that he wants more success from the running game so rest assured there will be improvement. But with the talent we have in Tua, don't expect the running game to be as good as our passing game. As good as D Harris and N Harris are, they aren't generational type talents like Tua is at their position. So my guess is we're going to ride Tua's left arm as far as it will carry us.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.