Question: Why are there “cupcake” games in college football?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I get that the SEC is a tough conference but overmatched out of conference teams are an exercise in futility. I could maybe justify it at the beginning of the year but not after that.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty simple really.
The Cupcakes need the money, and lots of the bigger schools see playing us as a LOSS and they don't want that loss.
Not to mention that Coach Saban doesn't keep his foot on the throats of the Cupcakes the whole game. Some of the larger schools have run their mouths and we might not call off the dogs as early.
One other thing... Playing the Cupcakes gives them exposure, and a chance to rate where they are in relation to a top team.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
It helps the Power 5 teams bolster their records (and in the case of weaker Power 5 teams get to bowl games) while giving them "tune up games" early in the season.

It helps support smaller programs financially.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Clemson/tech might have been OOC, but back then they were FAR from major.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
But they were far from a cupcake too. In 2007, Clemson finished 9-4 and lost to Auburn in OT in the Peach Bowl. In 2008, they would finish 7-6 after Tommy Bowden was dumped for Dabo. In 2008, Va Tech would win the ACC and in 2009 finish 10-3 and beat Tennessee in the Peach Bowl.

The problem with a lot of these matchups is that they have been great when the deals were inked, but then some - like Louisville this year - fell on hard times. Still not a cupcake though.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Clemson/tech might have been OOC, but back then they were FAR from major.

Definitely not historical powerhouses, but preseason 2008, Clemson was ranked 9 in the AP, and we were 24. IIRC, we were a 7-9 point underdog. It was our real coming out party under Saban. I was there, and it was glorious.

Preseason 2009, VT was #7 and we were #5.

Even at the time, those were marquee games.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Sorry, I was more thinking about how Clemson ended that season. Something like 7-5 I think.
Definitely not historical powerhouses, but preseason 2008, Clemson was ranked 9 in the AP, and we were 24. IIRC, we were a 7-9 point underdog. It was our real coming out party under Saban. I was there, and it was glorious.

Preseason 2009, VT was #7 and we were #5.

Even at the time, those were marquee games.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
A few thoughts:

1) How does a team from a lesser conference ever get a chance to prove themselves if they never play up the food chain?

2) There are plenty of dynasty teams that aren't in a dynasty cycle, so while those games might not be competitive today, that doesn't mean that will always be the case.

3) Without these games, the smaller schools will never make enough money to make their programs competitive through updates to their facilities.

4) These games are helpful in the early season for polishing problems that weren't exposed until the regular season. Later in the season they give the starters a needed break and give the second and third strings much needed real-world playing time.

Granted...I get where you're coming from. These sorts of games aren't the most exciting for fans and don't really help improve a program's resume.

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
I understand all of the reasons for playing the cupcakes of college football, and I know these reasons are legitimate. I do not like them because of the potential for cheap shots from the underdog teams after they get frustrated. Also, the cupcake games are generally boring as all get out. I love Bama football! With a maximum of 15 games, I really want to see Bama play exciting games all 15 times. I just cant get up for Bama vs Helen Keller U.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I understand all of the reasons for playing the cupcakes of college football, and I know these reasons are legitimate. I do not like them because of the potential for cheap shots from the underdog teams after they get frustrated. Also, the cupcake games are generally boring as all get out. I love Bama football! With a maximum of 15 games, I really want to see Bama play exciting games all 15 times. I just cant get up for Bama vs Helen Keller U.
As I've tried to suggest, perhaps too gently, even if that were tried, it would be an impossible dream...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Because fans are gullible enough to pay money to buy the tickets....
I disagree, think of it like this. Some fans like me are retired and can't afford to attend the bigger games. The price is too high, even higher when you consider buying gas, eating out, snacks at the game, parking ect... There will be tickets to the Alabama vs La La game sold on the street for reasonable prices. Not so when we play big games. What this translates to is not all tickets are wasted when we play a Cupcake. Lots of fans welcome finding tickets at a reasonable price. If you don't want to watch a Cupcake game, don't watch it. If you don't want to attend a game you have tickets for, by all means sell it and allow other people to attend. Sorry for ranting. Touched a sore spot with some of us.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I disagree, think of it like this. Some fans like me are retired and can't afford to attend the bigger games. The price is too high, even higher when you consider buying gas, eating out, snacks at the game, parking ect... There will be tickets to the Alabama vs La La game sold on the street for reasonable prices. Not so when we play big games. What this translates to is not all tickets are wasted when we play a Cupcake. Lots of fans welcome finding tickets at a reasonable price. If you don't want to watch a Cupcake game, don't watch it. If you don't want to attend a game you have tickets for, by all means sell it and allow other people to attend. Sorry for ranting. Touched a sore spot with some of us.
Indeed. More than a few fans go to “cupcake” games because those are the only tickets they can afford.
That in and of itself isn’t a reason for those games. But take out the cupcakes and play all conference games, and the playoffs would involve teams with depleted rosters. Probably all of them, truth be told, if all conferences did it.
That forces ND out, or into a conference. And opens up lesser conferences to claim a spot; unless they are forced to play all P5 opponents outside of their conference schedule on a rotating basis.
Ain’t ever going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For those who don't get what Earle, CA, and I (and Gray and others) are basically saying..........look at it like this.

The ACC and SEC play eight conference games, the other P5 teams play nine. So right there you have an EXTRA GAME that the ACC and SEC teams (presumably) "have" to fill with someone....and if they don't, there's the fear that come decision time they might run into "but team X played fewer games." Better to play a cupcake and fork over some money for education (in hopes of getting the big pot of gold) than run the risk of losing out because you played less.

But that's not even the beginning of the problem. You also have in-state rivalry games between OOCs that reduce the number of games you can schedule. Clemson and South Carolina have played every single year for more than a century going back to LONG before the ACC came into existence (1953) or SC joined the SEC (1992).

You have games like:
Georgia-Ga Tech
Michigan-Notre Dame
USC-Notre Dame
Florida-Florida St

Those rivalries are huge and local money makers so those games aren't going anywhere.

Purdue and Notre Dame used to play every single year. What happened? The Big Ten expanded to a nine-game schedule starting in 2016, so Purdue last met the Irish in 2014. LSU used to play Tulane every year long after the Green Wave left the SEC.

So.....you already have one fewer game for three of the P5 conferences and some have already filled that slot with a huge rival. That means you now have even fewer chances for the ACC or SEC and then you run right smack into something called economics. Alabama would LOSE MONEY if we went and played home/home games with Oregon St, UCF, or Wazzu.

Let's say - for the sake of argument - Alabama and USC decide they want to play a home/home. That's reasonable, right? Both schools have big home stadiums, national brand, etc. So look at USC's overall schedule:

9 conference games (out of 12)
Notre Dame
USC has to pick 2 other opponents

Also.....these games have to be played when OTHER teams have an open date, which pretty much guarantees they MUST be September games. So....home and home in September......won't really affect USC too awful much or some other schools (Texas), but who wants to add that burden to a schedule?

What about Texas?
9 Big 12 games
3 slots to fill - one is usually a national power (Ohio St, USC)

If you're Texas, do you want to ADD Alabama to that slate? Of course, they have with a H/H in coming years.

Alabama otoh has to fill FOUR games. And we've done a really good job of challenging right from the opener - Va Tech twice, FSU, WVA, USC, Clemson in 2008, and we had a H/H with Penn State in September, too.

The Tim Brandos of the world can complain about our schedule all they wish, but the fact remains no team of the last decade has played more big games than Alabama has - and nobody has won more, either. That alone refutes the whole "Alabama doesn't play anybody" cliche.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For those who don't get what Earle, CA, and I (and Gray and others) are basically saying..........look at it like this.

The ACC and SEC play eight conference games, the other P5 teams play nine. So right there you have an EXTRA GAME that the ACC and SEC teams (presumably) "have" to fill with someone....and if they don't, there's the fear that come decision time they might run into "but team X played fewer games." Better to play a cupcake and fork over some money for education (in hopes of getting the big pot of gold) than run the risk of losing out because you played less.

But that's not even the beginning of the problem. You also have in-state rivalry games between OOCs that reduce the number of games you can schedule. Clemson and South Carolina have played every single year for more than a century going back to LONG before the ACC came into existence (1953) or SC joined the SEC (1992).

You have games like:
Georgia-Ga Tech
Michigan-Notre Dame
USC-Notre Dame
Florida-Florida St

Those rivalries are huge and local money makers so those games aren't going anywhere.

Purdue and Notre Dame used to play every single year. What happened? The Big Ten expanded to a nine-game schedule starting in 2016, so Purdue last met the Irish in 2014. LSU used to play Tulane every year long after the Green Wave left the SEC.

So.....you already have one fewer game for three of the P5 conferences and some have already filled that slot with a huge rival. That means you now have even fewer chances for the ACC or SEC and then you run right smack into something called economics. Alabama would LOSE MONEY if we went and played home/home games with Oregon St, UCF, or Wazzu.

Let's say - for the sake of argument - Alabama and USC decide they want to play a home/home. That's reasonable, right? Both schools have big home stadiums, national brand, etc. So look at USC's overall schedule:

9 conference games (out of 12)
Notre Dame
USC has to pick 2 other opponents

Also.....these games have to be played when OTHER teams have an open date, which pretty much guarantees they MUST be September games. So....home and home in September......won't really affect USC too awful much or some other schools (Texas), but who wants to add that burden to a schedule?

What about Texas?
9 Big 12 games
3 slots to fill - one is usually a national power (Ohio St, USC)

If you're Texas, do you want to ADD Alabama to that slate? Of course, they have with a H/H in coming years.

Alabama otoh has to fill FOUR games. And we've done a really good job of challenging right from the opener - Va Tech twice, FSU, WVA, USC, Clemson in 2008, and we had a H/H with Penn State in September, too.

The Tim Brandos of the world can complain about our schedule all they wish, but the fact remains no team of the last decade has played more big games than Alabama has - and nobody has won more, either. That alone refutes the whole "Alabama doesn't play anybody" cliche.
A USC-Bama h-h would probably be the worst idea ever. A low turnout in LA, and a scalper gouging situation in Tuscaloosa. If we are to do a H-H it really needs to be an east of the Mississippi deal with a few exceptions like Texas, ND, OU, and Nebraska.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A USC-Bama h-h would probably be the worst idea ever. A low turnout in LA, and a scalper gouging situation in Tuscaloosa. If we are to do a H-H it really needs to be an east of the Mississippi deal with a few exceptions like Texas, ND, OU, and Nebraska.
yep.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I get all this...especially the financial part. I'm retired also...however, what I miss are the mid-season intersectional games -- like Notre Dame or USCwest or Penn State, etc. Those were incredible games with tension and meaning....

But then...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I get all this...especially the financial part. I'm retired also...however, what I miss are the mid-season intersectional games -- like Notre Dame or USCwest or Penn State, etc. Those were incredible games with tension and meaning....

But then...
USCW is one of those games best played at a neutral site. A home and home would be a nightmare for both programs unless both teams are elite.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.