"Doesn't It Get Boring" - All The Winning (My Dinner With a Longhorn)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yesterday an old Longhorn buddy I've only seen maybe twice in the past 10 years (but we talk on the phone a bit) happens to be in the area so we agree to meet up for dinner. We talk all the stuff - Supreme Court, what's up with his new marriage, how his insane ex and mine are Siamese twins joined together at the bank account, etc - and of course we get our way around to football. We're planning to go to the Texas/Alabama game in coming years, and he has a little experience now in Austin as to what's good and what's bad. And then he asks me - "Doesn't all this blowing folks out by huge scores get to be boring after awhile?"

We got interrupted eventually by his ex calling, but I was on point.

"Yeah, I'll admit it's kind of hard to get up for games like tomorrow, but that's not much different than ten years ago. This year what I want is to blow everyone out by at least three touchdowns, and I don't care how boring it is. Why? Because don't you WANT to be 'the greatest college team of all-time?' Don't you want to be mentioned in the same breath as 95 Nebraska and 01 Miami, especially since those were now so long ago that a lot of folks don't even remember? I'm willing to put up with a year or two of non-challenging games to put a three-peat in the bank - which btw we only missed by a single play. I'd love to break Oklahoma's 47-game winning streak, which I doubt will happen but this is the best chance we've ever had. I want things that nobody has ever done and to collect some scalps we owe ash whippings to along the way - Ohio State and Oklahoma most notably. There will come a time - and it's closer than we think - when we will again have seasons with five or six or even more close games. Those years - like 1991 and 1994 - are both exciting and yet nerve-racking. And for years there was always that little media hum about how we'd have trouble with a fast break, high powered offense (Baker Mayfield, Marcus Mariota). This year we have a gunslinger who can keep us in any game no matter how far behind at any time.

There will be enough years in my life for some close, exciting games. I'm willing to take a dominant team to be an all-time team for a year or two or three. Keep in mind we lost an entire decade to Phil Fulmer's shenanigans, but they're paying for it now."

We parted and for the record, he has never once brought up "if Colt hadn't got hurt."

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Yesterday an old Longhorn buddy I've only seen maybe twice in the past 10 years (but we talk on the phone a bit) happens to be in the area so we agree to meet up for dinner. We talk all the stuff - Supreme Court, what's up with his new marriage, how his insane ex and mine are Siamese twins joined together at the bank account, etc - and of course we get our way around to football. We're planning to go to the Texas/Alabama game in coming years, and he has a little experience now in Austin as to what's good and what's bad. And then he asks me - "Doesn't all this blowing folks out by huge scores get to be boring after awhile?"

We got interrupted eventually by his ex calling, but I was on point.

"Yeah, I'll admit it's kind of hard to get up for games like tomorrow, but that's not much different than ten years ago. This year what I want is to blow everyone out by at least three touchdowns, and I don't care how boring it is. Why? Because don't you WANT to be 'the greatest college team of all-time?' Don't you want to be mentioned in the same breath as 95 Nebraska and 01 Miami, especially since those were now so long ago that a lot of folks don't even remember? I'm willing to put up with a year or two of non-challenging games to put a three-peat in the bank - which btw we only missed by a single play. I'd love to break Oklahoma's 47-game winning streak, which I doubt will happen but this is the best chance we've ever had. I want things that nobody has ever done and to collect some scalps we owe ash whippings to along the way - Ohio State and Oklahoma most notably. There will come a time - and it's closer than we think - when we will again have seasons with five or six or even more close games. Those years - like 1991 and 1994 - are both exciting and yet nerve-racking. And for years there was always that little media hum about how we'd have trouble with a fast break, high powered offense (Baker Mayfield, Marcus Mariota). This year we have a gunslinger who can keep us in any game no matter how far behind at any time.

There will be enough years in my life for some close, exciting games. I'm willing to take a dominant team to be an all-time team for a year or two or three. Keep in mind we lost an entire decade to Phil Fulmer's shenanigans, but they're paying for it now."

We parted and for the record, he has never once brought up "if Colt hadn't got hurt."
I love blowout games. I want BAMA to always have at least a 14 point lead (less stressful for me that way:) I like competitive games only if I could see into the future and know BAMA would end up winning. I love watching other teams play competitive games though.

"Boring" games gives us fans a chance to see 2nd/3rd stringers play. I love that part too.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
This is a historical era of Bama football. I don't know how anyone could find it boring. Were the Shula or Dubose years where we struggled to hit .500 more interesting? I mean, sure, I had plenty of games where I got worked up back then, but it often wasn't a positive sort of excitement. And could have watched the championship game last year and thought it was ho hum? Without a fair share of dominant games, we'd never be there.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is a historical era of Bama football. I don't know how anyone could find it boring. Were the Shula or Dubose years where we struggled to hit .500 more interesting? I mean, sure, I had plenty of games where I got worked up back then, but it often wasn't a positive sort of excitement. And could have watched the championship game last year and thought it was ho hum? Without a fair share of dominant games, we'd never be there.

I'm gonna fix it for ya...

This is a historical era of college football. I don't know how anyone could find it boring. Were the Shula or Dubose years where we struggled to hit .500 more infuriating? I mean, sure, I had plenty of games where I got worked up back then, but it often wasn't a positive sort of excitement. And could have watched the championship game last year and thought it was ho hum? Without a fair share of dominant games, we'd never be there.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Exactly! I love to see teams or individuals perform at a peak level. I loved watching Jordan play basketball. He made very good players look ordinary. That is what Saban's Bama teams have often done. My wife today has asked if I don't feel sorry for the players on the other team, and I say that I don't because they aren't 10 year old kids any more. I'm sure they have all been on the good side of some blow-outs during their playing days. I don't see any need to rub it in, but I also tried to explain that I do want our first string guys to get some more playing time because there will be a few games this year where they have to execute late in games and they need to stay sharp. Anyway, I'll take the "boring" blow-outs every Saturday, especially when compared to the crap fest we had to endure during the Dumbose and Sheila days.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You're killing me, Smalls...
Because we were tied together on phones so many years, I still get collection calls for her debts.

This week she had an electric bill sent to collections, where her last one from over a year ago is. I just can't figure out how someone who was evicted from her apartment for non-payment and had an electric bill turned over for collections was able to get an electric company to hook things up in the first place. (She also has run up $138,000 in student loans because she can't get normal credit like humans do, but I digress).

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
My wife and I went to a pumpkin patch with some friends precisely because the game was against ULL, and as a friend of mine was texting me updates during the game, one of the friends we were with (an Alabama graduate) asked what was going on (I think we were up 21-0 at this point), and she said, "That's so boring." I asked her if she'd rather have 50/50 games where Alabama is always battling it out, and she said that yes because then she would be interested. Like Selma, I'm not bored by the blowouts; I find it impressive of how often Alabama has been blowing people out, and the longer it continues, it leads to "best ever" discussions. Imagine if Alabama averaged winning every game by at least 3+ TDs and went undefeated this year? No one could argue against putting this year's edition up there with 1995 Nebraska, 2001 Miami, 2004 USC, etc. Let the blowouts continue, and I still think Alabama will struggle in one or two games this year.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I love blowouts! (as long as we are doing the blowing out :smile: )

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My wife and I went to a pumpkin patch with some friends precisely because the game was against ULL, and as a friend of mine was texting me updates during the game, one of the friends we were with (an Alabama graduate) asked what was going on (I think we were up 21-0 at this point), and she said, "That's so boring." I asked her if she'd rather have 50/50 games where Alabama is always battling it out, and she said that yes because then she would be interested. Like Selma, I'm not bored by the blowouts; I find it impressive of how often Alabama has been blowing people out, and the longer it continues, it leads to "best ever" discussions. Imagine if Alabama averaged winning every game by at least 3+ TDs and went undefeated this year? No one could argue against putting this year's edition up there with 1995 Nebraska, 2001 Miami, 2004 USC, etc. Let the blowouts continue, and I still think Alabama will struggle in one or two games this year.
My wife, an OM grad but a converted Bama fan has said "boring" several times this year. I don't think I"ve ever heard a male Bama fan say "boring" yet...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Close games for us come when the O has trouble scoring. Not an issue this year.

This isn’t a gimmick offense. This is an offense with 4-5 receiving options at anytime and a QB who can squeeze a banana into a tailpipe from 50 yards

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Blow outs are a lot easier on the HEART of OLD FOLKS. I'll take a Blow-out every Saturday, then in the SECCG, in the playoffs and in the NCCG.

Close games are VERY stressful. That old heart can only take so many of those. So, thanks to Coach Saban, the rest of the coaching staff and all contributing players.

Well, missing two field goals can be stressful even in a blow out.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
My wife, an OM grad but a converted Bama fan has said "boring" several times this year. I don't think I"ve ever heard a male Bama fan say "boring" yet...
My wife, who understands very little about football and only watches bits and pieces of the games, feels bad for the teams that Bama pummels. She was happy to see ULL score in the second half. "We need to share some points." Sigh.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.