JessN: Louisiana wrap-up: Flat finish belies just how dominant Alabama was

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Is it POSSIBLE that first-stringers at a place like UL-L are as good as players in the third organizational groups at Alabama? . . . AND they have more game experience.
Depends on where. On ULL's side, their top three RBs could all play at a lot of SEC schools. The Calais kid was scatback but the others all have Power 5 D-1A size. The Ragas kid who started for them could probably get a scholarship anywhere he wanted to go except maybe Bama and a handful of other places with full depth charts. The OL from the center going right were all decent players. I would say those 3-4 guys were as good as what Bama has at the third-string level. Nowhere else on offense, though.

Defensively, they just didn't have it. They've got an Ole Miss transfer at DE and he doesn't start. The Nevada transfer kid at CB probably could have ended up at an Ole Miss or a South Carolina but he's from Lafayette originally. Their middle linebacker, I thought, was a good player coming in but he didn't really flash. Not sure you're allowed by law to play anywhere other than ULL or LSU with a name like Jacques Boudreaux. :p

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Anoma is an outside linebacker, yes. As such, it will be hard for him to be a sideline-to-sideline player for UA because Bama doesn't use its OLBs in that way in this scheme.

The guy I think can fill that role is Brandon Ale Keho, but it won't come this year. He badly needs weight to play ILB for Alabama. I expect Moses and Wilson to both get there but I thought they would this year -- Wilson at least -- and the development curve seems to have flattened a bit for both.
I think the relative lack of experience is showing up some. for the past several years we got used to a guy starting for a year at one ILB spot before he had to be the signal caller, so he had a lot of field time prior to jumping into that role, and Wilson didn't have that luxury, even though he did play a lot. We also got spoiled in that SDh was a really, really good signal caller. His ability to handle that load let guys like Foster and Evans play fast.

I think Moses has progressed pretty well so far this year and he's getting more instinctive which means he's having to think about it less and just react.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.