Chip and Frost can’t win a game (Nebraska and UCLA woes)

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Running him off has worked out to be an absolutely horrible decision.
Nebraska has made a succession of bad hires since then.

The Bill Calllahan era ended in disaster.

Bo Pelini was a decent coordinator, but over his head as a head coach. Could not control his emotions. Turned off the media and the fan base with his boorish behavior.

Mike Riley was a bad fit for a team that wanted to compete for Big 10 conference titles. His teams were poorly conditioned, and last year's team just quit.

Scott Frost won a lot of games at UCF. But I still think winning games in that conference is no comparison to a Big Boy conference. Yeah, they beat Auburn, but bowl games without national title consequences tend to be exhibitions.

The only time I saw UCF play was in their conference title game. I thought I was watching a basketball game. 56-48 or something like that.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Bo Pelini was a decent coordinator, but over his head as a head coach. Could not control his emotions. Turned off the media and the fan base with his boorish behavior.

Mike Riley was a bad fit for a team that wanted to compete for Big 10 conference titles. His teams were poorly conditioned, and last year's team just quit.

Scott Frost won a lot of games at UCF. But I still think winning games in that conference is no comparison to a Big Boy conference. Yeah, they beat Auburn, but bowl games without national title consequences tend to be exhibitions.

The only time I saw UCF play was in their conference title game. I thought I was watching a basketball game. 56-48 or something like that.
It was 62-55 in 2 OT.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It was 62-55 in 2 OT.
That game featured Memphis (#4 total offense and #2 scoring offense) against UCF (#5 total offense and #1 scoring offense). It was bound to be high scoring. As far as scoring defense goes, Memphis was horrible at #102 (32.5 ppg) while UCF was middle of the road at #52 (25.3 ppg).

In the regular season matchup, UCF won 40-13.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
That game featured Memphis (#4 total offense and #2 scoring offense) against UCF (#5 total offense and #1 scoring offense). It was bound to be high scoring. As far as scoring defense goes, Memphis was horrible at #102 (32.5 ppg) while UCF was middle of the road at #52 (25.3 ppg).

In the regular season matchup, UCF won 40-13.
UCF also beat South Florida in a wild, high scoring game late in the year. There were literally no defensive stops that I can remember. Nebraska is a tough place to win nowadays. This isn't 1995.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Anybody catch the part where schools can't restrict in the near future? It says there will be tougher penalties for tampering, but what kind of evidence do you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The biggest problem with pelini was that he didn’t understand which board members and boosters were his guys and which ones wanted him gone. Remember it was a board member that started releasing tapes after the Wisconsin beat down in Indianapolis that started turning the fans against him. Before that there was a period where he was the second most loved person in Nebraska.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
The biggest problem with pelini was that he didn’t understand which board members and boosters were his guys and which ones wanted him gone. Remember it was a board member that started releasing tapes after the Wisconsin beat down in Indianapolis that started turning the fans against him. Before that there was a period where he was the second most loved person in Nebraska.
His post-game pressers were comedy gold. Whether they won the game or not, he'd come up to the podium in a teed-off mood, and bully the members of the press. "That's a stupid question, next!!" He had no tact. But he won 9 games every year. Always had a head-scratcher home loss to an inferior team.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
His post-game pressers were comedy gold. Whether they won the game or not, he'd come up to the podium in a teed-off mood, and bully the members of the press. "That's a stupid question, next!!" He had no tact. But he won 9 games every year. Always had a head-scratcher home loss to an inferior team.
True, but Husker fans loved him giving it to the press until those tapes came out in 2013.

I thought Pelini was very entertaining. I think the funniest incident is when he got Tboned by a Nebraska fan in Omaha on signing day.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In pressers he reminded me of Belichick, Parcells and Saban - intimidating, condescending (and hysterical as long as you were not one of the guys asking questions). On the sidelines he reminded me of Muschamp - totally out of control.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
In pressers he reminded me of Belichick, Parcells and Saban - intimidating, condescending (and hysterical as long as you were not one of the guys asking questions). On the sidelines he reminded me of Muschamp - totally out of control.
He acted just like the guys you mentioned but he didn’t have the clout/record to back it up. What’s he doing these days anyway?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He acted just like the guys you mentioned but he didn’t have the clout/record to back it up. What’s he doing these days anyway?
He is the head coach at Youngstown State (Tressel is the school President). Bo played at OSU and is an Ohio guy, so he has a future here as long as he wants to keep coaching.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.