Chip and Frost can’t win a game (Nebraska and UCLA woes)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Guys, this could be Nick Saban in 2007.

Today, Frost is 43, and in his second HC position, first in Power 5. In 2007, Nick Saban was 56, and in his third P5 HC position, fourth collegiate position, and fifth counting the NFL.

Point being, Saban was going through these exact same emotions, for the exact same reasons, as Frost is today. He was just more experienced and polished at handling the issues in front of the major league press.

Look, I'm well aware of Frost's reputation for confidence bleeding over into cocky hubris. But I see a humbled man. One who, for the first time, has encountered a material minority of his team who doesn't see life, let alone football, in remotely the same way he does.

Like Saban, when he's talking discipline, he's not talking about just keeping your name out of the police blotter, though that's certainly included. He's also talking about stupid mental mistakes. Dancing on the sideline while you're down 13-0. Not going to class. Not being faithful in workouts. Just not approaching life in general with a sense of accountability.

Did anybody notice the mention of respecting people in supporting roles -- specifically servers in the chow line? I promise you, one of more players dissed one or more servers, simply because they could, and because it was tolerated in previous regimes. That's the same mentality as beating children, or women, or abusing animals. It's lording authority at a physical level because you have it over someone who has no way to assert themselves. Frost either witnessed it or heard about it, and was embarrassed at a personal level.

He's genuinely perplexed. He's citing specific examples of knucklehead behavior. He's citing, by name, specific players who are getting the repeated message and doing it right. Frost is trying to change a culture, which I can tell you is no small task, and he's using the media to get his message out. He's not as practiced and polished as Saban, but I promise you, he'll get there.

I'm changing my mind about this guy.

Last edited:

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I do too. He is a good one. I think, though, recruiting players to Nebraska is going to be as tall or taller a mountain than getting the focus and discipline he will eventual arrive at.

Today, Frost is 43, and in his second HC position, first in Power 5. In 2007, Nick Saban was 56, and in his third P5 HC position, fourth overall. Not to mention extensive experience in coaching the NFL, at both the assistant and HC levels.

Point being, Saban was going through these exact same emotions, for the exact same reasons, as Frost is today. He was just a little more experienced and polished at handling the issues in front of the major league press.

Look, I'm well aware of Frost's reputation for confidence bleeding over into cocky hubris. But I see a humbled man. One who, for the first time, has encountered a material minority of his team who doesn't see life, let alone football, in remotely the same way he does.

Like Saban, when he's talking discipline, he's not talking about just keeping your name out of the police blotter, though that's certainly included. He's also talking about stupid mental mistakes. Dancing on the sideline while you're down 13-0. Not going to class. Not being faithful in workouts. Just not approaching life in general with a sense of accountability.

He's genuinely perplexed. He's citing specific examples of knucklehead behavior. He's citing, by name, specific players who are getting the repeated message and doing it right. Frost is trying to change a culture, which I can tell you is no small task, and he's using the media to get his message out. He's not as practiced and polished as Saban, but I promise you, he'll get there.

I like this guy.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I like Frost also, but he has one hell of an uphill climb. If you have never inherited a piece of crap company and tried to change the culture then you cannot know what he is going through. There is no one size fits all owner's manual to tell you what and how to do it. You have to have your value system, the courage to implement and enforce it, and that may not be enough to change attitudes and get a total buy in. It ain't easy and it is easy to be a critic.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Today, Frost is 43, and in his second HC position, first in Power 5. In 2007, Nick Saban was 56, and in his third P5 HC position, fourth collegiate position, and fifth counting the NFL.

Point being, Saban was going through these exact same emotions, for the exact same reasons, as Frost is today. He was just more experienced and polished at handling the issues in front of the major league press.

Did anybody notice the mention of respecting people in supporting roles -- specifically servers in the chow line? I promise you, one of more players dissed one or more servers, simply because they could, and because it was tolerated in previous regimes. That's the same mentality as beating children, or women, or abusing animals. It's lording authority at a physical level because you have it over someone who has no way to assert themselves. Frost either witnessed it or heard about it, and was embarrassed at a personal level.

I'm changing my mind about this guy.
Meh. He is still 0-4 with 1 respectable loss. If he was this great coach that everyone believes then he wouldn’t have lost the team by game 4 or get blown out like he has. I think he looks like a totally lost assistant coach trying to act like a head coach. I just think he is 4 years and out imo

Last edited:

volhater80

Scout Team
Aug 15, 2018
I like Scott. Seems like a good genuine guy. I think he will have them competing in the future but not good enough for national championships. Don't think he'll be able to pull good enough recruits.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Both have moved to 0-5

Chip- loses a close game vs Washington

Frosty- Gets pummeled vs Wisconsin

Next up- Chip goes on the road to Berkley to face Cal. Frosty goes on the road to face a team that seems to have found their step in NW. Who wins first? Stay tuned

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It didn't take Mike Riley long to run Nebraska into the ground. It seems every time Nebraska fires a HC they tank it. Wonder why that is?

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It didn't take Mike Riley long to run Nebraska into the ground. It seems every time Nebraska fires a HC they take it. Wonder why that is?
Nebraska is a GOOD job, but not a GREAT job. They pay a lot of money to get decent names to come down to Lincoln, but once they get there they find that the Osbourne days are long gone and aint coming back.

From folks in the know, Nebraska thought they had Bielema in 2014 so they rushed out all the dirt on Pelini in an effort to get him, but found out Bielema suckered them into getting him a pay increase at Arkansas. So Nebraska was stuck begging and the only person that had a decent amount of success and experience that answered their call was Rielly.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Nebraska is a GOOD job, but not a GREAT job. They pay a lot of money to get decent names to come down to Lincoln, but once they get there they find that the Osbourne days are long gone and aint coming back.

From folks in the know, Nebraska thought they had Bielema in 2014 so they rushed out all the dirt on Pelini in an effort to get him, but found out Bielema suckered them into getting him a pay increase at Arkansas. So Nebraska was stuck begging and the only person that had a decent amount of success and experience that answered their call was Rielly.
I’ve found the Nebraska brain trust, whoever they are, to be utterly lacking in self awareness. Couple this with leaving the Big 12, and it’s been the death knell for that program.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’ve found the Nebraska brain trust, whoever they are, to be utterly lacking in self awareness. Couple this with leaving the Big 12, and it’s been the death knell for that program.
Part of the reason they and Pelini didn’t get along from 2010 to 14. He actually ( according to people in the know over there) wanted to get aTm, OU, Mizzou, and Nebraska to make a run at the SEC instead of pursuing the Big 10 when discussions were actually moving forward for leaving.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How many former Nebraska employees are at Oregon State? Goodness.

Seems like he does have a legitimate concern, though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.