Calvin Ridley making a run for ROY!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Oh I agree on the 1st part there. I'm not trying to slight or snub Julio at all. Maybe it's just me getting older and not having as good a memory as I used to?

But I swear the only BIG TIME play I can even really visualize Julio having was the Screen/dump-off Sprint against LSU in 2009 where ran like a damn Gazelle for a TD. Phenomenal play.

I want to say I vaguely remember him having a big game over Tennessee in 2010 too..... like 200+ yards or so? Not sure.

But for the 2nd point there I think McElroy gets kind of a bad shake in hindsight. He was a Good to Very Good QB for us in 2009-10. He spread the ball around to Multiple WR's and that's partly why Julio didn't have jaw dropping TD numbers. Multiple guys had 2-3 TD's receiving.

From November of 2009 till his final game against Mich State I thought he played fantastic!!

He threw for 200+ yards in 13 of those final 19 games and threw Multiple TD's in 10.

He also had a higher career Comp%, YPA, and Passer rating that Jalen, A higher Passer rating and YPA than Coker, and a Higher Comp% and Passer Rating than Blake Sims.

We've gotta remember that Greg was kind of stuck in a relic offense too. How good could HE have been with Kiffin calling plays?

I'm mostly saying if Julio would have played in this offense with Tua, he would have put up dramatically better numbers. And if he had played under Kiffin, he would have had a season like Amari had in 2014.

You are correct, McElroy was hampered by the offensive philosophy of that era as well. I would simply rank AJ McCarron, 2014 Blake Sims, and probably even Coker higher than him. But you're right, if we could put McElroy in today's offensive scheme, he would probably have much better numbers as well.

Bryant0086

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2009
Atlanta is loaded at receiver. Obviously, Julio is a stud and Calvin looks to be one in waiting. Guys in these parts already knew that, of course. Sanu is also a heck of a receiver. I would say Ridley definitely has a shot at ROY, but the team looks a lot like The Steelers...... all the talent in the world, but can't seem put it together.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I'm mostly saying if Julio would have played in this offense with Tua, he would have put up dramatically better numbers. And if he had played under Kiffin, he would have had a season like Amari had in 2014.

You are correct, McElroy was hampered by the offensive philosophy of that era as well. I would simply rank AJ McCarron, 2014 Blake Sims, and probably even Coker higher than him. But you're right, if we could put McElroy in today's offensive scheme, he would probably have much better numbers as well.
Julio was also hindered by the physical talent of the guys playing quarterback for him. Those guys were winners and played tough, but the physical arm talent to take advantage of Julio's speed just wasn't there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
If the NFL became a football league again it might be worth watching or even talking about.
I wish all Bama players the best but once they are in the Non Football League, the only time I read about them is on this site.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.