Link: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1. - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 74
  1. #40
    BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    7,416

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    If they decide to crown a different champion, that team would still be considered co-champions by pretty much everyone.
    Weíll have to agree to disagree on that. Ask anyone who the champion from 2003 was and theyíll say LSU, except for USC fans.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #41
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    18,834

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    We’ll have to agree to disagree on that. Ask anyone who the champion from 2003 was and they’ll say LSU, except for USC fans.
    Outside of the SEC, pretty much everyone believes that it was a split championship. I am not saying that they are right or wrong - just pointing out the reality of the situation. The AP poll is very highly respected, even by SEC fans. Alabama has a bunch of AP trophies in your trophy cases, displayed very proudly.

  4. #42
    BamaNation All-American PacadermaTideUs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Navarre, FL
    Posts
    3,896

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    If they decide to crown a different champion, that team would still be considered co-champions by pretty much everyone.
    Maybe. If so, Iíll be in the minority.

    ADs of FBS institutions had all agreed to play by BCS rules and now CFP rules. As long as the institutions agree thatís how theyíll decide, thatís good enough for me. No such agreement prior to BCS.

    So for me, AP mattered prior to BCS and so long as they were a part of it. For me, no split champions in 03. LSU earned it outright as far as Iím concerned.

  5. #43
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    18,834

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacadermaTideUs View Post
    Maybe. If so, I’ll be in the minority.
    And if that team was Alabama?

  6. #44
    BamaNation All-American PacadermaTideUs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Navarre, FL
    Posts
    3,896

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    And if that team was Alabama?
    No different. CFB champion is crowned in the playoffs, not in the op-eds.

  7. #45
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    18,834

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    Let's hope it doesn't happen, because if Alabama (or OSU, or any other school) was awarded the AP #1 vote without having won the CFP, they would have a parade and throw a party and celebrate the championship.

  8. #46
    BamaNation All-American PacadermaTideUs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Navarre, FL
    Posts
    3,896

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    I guess weíre all UCF, huh? Well not me. But I was always a strong BCS proponent, and believed at the time that USC wasnít one of the top 2 teams. And prior to 03, the AP had also agreed to follow the BCS lead. So when they threw their hissy fit over USC, they lost a lot of credibility in my eyes. I guess that makes me biased. But it also makes me not UCF.

  9. #47
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    18,834

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacadermaTideUs View Post
    I guess we’re all UCF, huh? Well not me. But I was always a strong BCS proponent, and believed at the time that USC wasn’t one of the top 2 teams. And prior to 03, the AP had also agreed to follow the BCS lead. So when they threw their hissy fit over USC, they lost a lot of credibility in my eyes. I guess that makes me biased. But it also makes me not UCF.
    Nope - Colley Matrix is not the AP Poll. You cannot equate the 2003 USC claim to the UCF claim and maintain credibility.

  10. #48
    BamaNation All-American PacadermaTideUs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Navarre, FL
    Posts
    3,896

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Nope - Colley Matrix is not the AP Poll. You cannot equate the 2003 USC claim to the UCF claim and maintain credibility.
    Donít really give a hoot who does or does not find me credible. Itís simply my opinion: since the AP pulled out of the BCS, the AP is no more credible than the Colley Matrix. Feel free to disagree.

  11. #49
    REC | FB | BB Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    36,285

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacadermaTideUs View Post
    I guess we’re all UCF, huh? Well not me. But I was always a strong BCS proponent, and believed at the time that USC wasn’t one of the top 2 teams. And prior to 03, the AP had also agreed to follow the BCS lead. So when they threw their hissy fit over USC, they lost a lot of credibility in my eyes. I guess that makes me biased. But it also makes me not UCF.
    Speaking of hissy fits...
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  12. #50
    BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    7,416

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Alabama has a bunch of AP trophies in your trophy cases, displayed very proudly.
    Thatís not an apples to apples comparison though. At the time we won those AP titles, that was the system in place. Now we have the playoffs, and the AP is not part of the system, plain and simple. The AP poll (and all others really) died in 1998.

  13. #51

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    That’s not an apples to apples comparison though. At the time we won those AP titles, that was the system in place. Now we have the playoffs, and the AP is not part of the system, plain and simple. The AP poll (and all others really) died in 1998.
    If you don't think Alabama would celebrate an AP-only championship as a NC just as they do the BCS or CFP, just look at 1941...

    It would be claimed without hesitation.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

  14. #52
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Posts
    39,616

    Re: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

    Oh boy


    Sent from my iPad

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!