How good is Notre Dame?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
ND nearly always looks good playing the guys they play.
When it's crunch time we will know what they are made of.
The Talking Heads always love ND, so I too expect them to be in the Playoffs.
I don’t know why their SoS is so high. True, they don’t play any FCS teams, but Rutgers/Wake Forest/Pittsburgh/FSU/Ball State are all bad teams, and Maryland/Vandy/USC won’t finish high in their conferences. Throw in Navy and Northwestern and I only see three ranked teams, only one in Top Ten and probably won’t be for long.
To someone who knows: do they adjust this SoS ranking as the season goes on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don’t know why their SoS is so high. True, they don’t play any FCS teams, but Rutgers/Wake Forest/Pittsburgh/FSU/Ball State are all bad teams, and Maryland/Vandy/USC won’t finish high in their conferences. Throw in Navy and Northwestern and I only see three ranked teams, only one in Top Ten and probably won’t be for long.
To someone who knows: do they adjust this SoS ranking as the season goes on?

I can almost guarantee you that they will be ahead of Clemson when the first rankings come out if they are undefeated. Remember ND is technically an ACC team and has two better wins than Clemson. Clemson could win out but be shut out because of a soft schedule.

B1GMark

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 10, 2018
It is over a month away but will be interesting to see ND game vs Syracuse. The Orange about beat Clemson on the road.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
It is over a month away but will be interesting to see ND game vs Syracuse. The Orange about beat Clemson on the road.
And should have. Poor coaching got them beat. When you have a third string QB who’s never taken a meaningful snap, you don’t allow his running back to get 200+ yards rushing. Especially not Clemson, as their O line isn’t any better than their d-backs, IMO.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Notre Dame probably wins the ACC and the PAC this year, but I'm not really sure what that's worth. A playoff spot, but not much else.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Notre Dame probably wins the ACC and the PAC this year, but I'm not really sure what that's worth. A playoff spot, but not much else.
If they go undefeated then they are Co ACC champs in name only due to the conference ties. But knowing them that will be good for a ticket to the playoffs.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I read about Ian Book, the current ND QB. He was recruited out of California in 2016 as a 6' 193 pound drop back passer rated a 3 star recruit. Not exactly a Tua or Trevor Lawrence, but apparently has passed Wimbush, the former starter who will probably transfer if he follows the current pattern.

Last edited:

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
As a Bama fan, would love to see ND in that 4th seed if Bama is #1. I watched some of their game against Vandy. I don't think there could be a better matchup in the playoffs. But, if Bama stays healthy, only two teams are a real threat if Bama plays a clean game; Ohio St. and Georgia.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I think conventional wisdom is that ND has played the hardest part of their schedule, with VT (#24) and a few teams just outside (FSU, Syracuse and USC) to play. They are likely to win out and get in the final 4. This suites me just fine.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As a Bama fan, would love to see ND in that 4th seed if Bama is #1. I watched some of their game against Vandy. I don't think there could be a better matchup in the playoffs. But, if Bama stays healthy, only two teams are a real threat if Bama plays a clean game; Ohio St. and Georgia.
They are much better now than they were against Vandy with Book at QB. Not Alabama good, but better than they were. Let's see if Book can keep this up. Kelly's offense requires very good QB play.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If ND goes undefeated they are in the playoffs. This would have the effect of probably eliminating the PAC 12 champion and possibly the ACC champion. If Alabama and UGA are both undefeated heading into the SECC game the winner is in and the loser is probably eliminated. If we assume this plays out the CFB playoff would be ND, OU, tOSU and the Alabama/UGA winner. If OU drops a game and Clemson drops a game then the Alabama/UGA loser possibly could get in. A lot of football left though.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This is a math based SOS ranking (no bias). The explanation is at the bottom of the page, but there appears to be a glitch Iowa and Maryland, like maybe transposed.

http://myteamsbetter.com/#SOS?year=2018&conference=-1

1. Auburn ………. 61.38
2. Georgia ……… 60.63
3. Iowa …………..58.84
4. Maryland …… 58.96
5. Notre Dame 58.16

6. Miami 7. LSU 8.Iowa St 9. Alabama 10.Michigan St

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Well Sir..... if we look at Team Season Stats to date here is where they fall...

Scoring Offense: 52nd (32.8 ppg)
Total Offense: 48th (442.4 ypg)

Scoring Defense: 27th (18.8 ppg)
Total Defense: 36th (340.6 ypg)

So they are 'above average' on offense (though that is misleading because they have been MUCH BETTER with Ian Book at QB who is 7th Nationally in Passer Rating)

But they are 'kind of good' on defense....hovering around the Top 30.

Then you look at their schedule and the 2 big wins are Michigan and Stanford.

Well how good is Michigan really? They haven't played a decent team since the opening loss to ND.

Stanford looks good on paper but that's only if you ignore Oregon literally snatching defeat from the jaws of victory by fumbling the ball while trying to run the clock out instead of taking a knee. Stanford should be 3-2 right now.

My Opinion is they are probably a Top 15.....maybe Top 10 team with the new QB.

But they play NOBODY the rest of the year. They will be 14+ point favorites the rest of the way. They would have to throw up all over themselves against someone to lose a game.

So the thing is they will probably finish 12-0.... and they are 'Notre Dame'.....so they will be taking a playoff spot away from some more deserving Conference Champion.

Then they will get HAMMERED in the Semi-Final Round against someone from the group of Alabama or UGA, Ohio State, Oklahoma or WVU, Clemson or Miami, Oregon or Washington.

Well they might could beat Miami or Washington.... but the rest of those teams would SKULLDRAG them.

Last edited:

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
Then they will get HAMMERED in the Semi-Final Round against someone from the group of Alabama or UGA, Ohio State, Oklahoma or WVU, Clemson or Miami, Oregon or Washington.

Well they might could beat Miami or Washington.... but the rest of those teams would SKULLDRAG them.
That is always enjoyable watching that happen.:cool:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Somebody is going to slip up. It’s college football so I have a hard believing OU, tOSU, ND, and Clemson all remain undefeated. Red River Rivalry is this weekend so OU defense will get tested by an improved Texas. I suspect Bama’s chances of going undefeated aren’t much better than 50 or 60 per cent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.