Question: Coaching hot seats

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
As we approach the halfway point of the season, some coaching chairs are getting warm, some may be on fire.
Matt Luke - how much rope do they give him? As much as it takes to get off probation, then a firm handshake and a thank you
Bobby Petrino - is he dead man walking? They can't do any better right now and they don't expect not to have a down year occasionally
Will Muschamp - does he have to upset Clemson to keep his job? I only see two more probable wins. If he misses a bowl the next 2 years straight, I look for him to get fired and join WWE
Derek Mason - will winning five games keep his job? 4 wins keeps his job, 5 wins gets an extra 2 years, 6 and a bowl gets a raise and extension, win the bowl for 7+ wins and he gets naming rights to the stadium and a statue
Gus - if they lose to A&M, Georgia and Bama (first very possible, last two probable), is he gone? Not unless Dye will come back and coach for free
Thoughts? Others who may be in trouble (I kept it southern).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Derek Mason is a lifer at Vandy, as long as he wins 5-6 games every year with the occasional 7-8 win season, he’ll be there.

I don’t think Petrino survives this year, really Lamar Jackson saved him, Louisville was really bad last year outside of LJ.

Muschamp is safe.

Luke is safe.

All the first year coaches are safe, I think Taggart and Frost will be ok.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Gus is not on the hot seat. As long as he beats Nick every 2-3 years and has a 9+ win season in there somewhere I think he will be on the plains for a long time with that contract.
Well he won a fluke his 1st year, then lost 3 in a row, then had fortunate circumstances (Bama injuries and stuck with a declining one dimensional QB) surrounding the game last year, he will probably lose at least 3 more in a row.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I don't think you can put Frost or Taggert on the hot seat just yet.
Frost came into a bad situation, meaning the cupboard was pretty bare. Also, as we know first hand from when CNS took over at Bama you have to cull the heard of those who don't want to put in the work/buy in.He's gonna have to have at least three years to recruit and then you can see where he is at. JMHO he won't last because the Nebraska fans are too delusional (worse than us in expectations and they haven't done anything for a long time) and nothing short of a conference championship in year 3 will keep him employed there.
I have never been greatly impressed with W Taggert. But you have to give him time to recruit, too. They do not have a qb. Francois is not the answer for them at that possition.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The problem for Muschamp is that Clemson is doing so well now in comparison to South Carolina.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Gus is not on the hot seat. As long as he beats Nick every 2-3 years and has a 9+ win season in there somewhere I think he will be on the plains for a long time with that contract.
I don't think Auburn can afford to buy Gus out but if they tank this season who ever authorized that massive raise last year may be toast. Gus's agent played Auburn for a fool. Gus was never going to Arkansas, the cupboard was bare and they don't have the recruiting base to compete at the highest levels. Yes, when he has all the pieces he can go on a tare and win some impressive games but he's never going to be consistent. He's the Dave Krieg of coaching. For you young'uns Krieg was a QB for the Seattle Seahawks in the 80's. He was the most streaky passer I remember. When he was on he looked like Tua, but when he was off, he was REALLY off. They would always talk about replacing him, then he would go on a steak and win every game he played. it was maddening for them I'm sure.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I don't think Auburn can afford to buy Gus out but if they tank this season who ever authorized that massive raise last year may be toast. Gus's agent played Auburn for a fool. Gus was never going to Arkansas, the cupboard was bare and they don't have the recruiting base to compete at the highest levels. Yes, when he has all the pieces he can go on a tare and win some impressive games but he's never going to be consistent. He's the Dave Krieg of coaching. For you young'uns Krieg was a QB for the Seattle Seahawks in the 80's. He was the most streaky passer I remember. When he was on he looked like Tua, but when he was off, he was REALLY off. They would always talk about replacing him, then he would go on a steak and win every game he played. it was maddening for them I'm sure.
I remember Dave Krieg well. I believe it was Krieg that Derrick Thomas got his 7 sack game against. Thomas should have had 8, but Krieg eluded him somehow and threw a TD pass to win the game. Good comparison.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
An "established good coach" looks for destination programs and I'm not sure Ole Miss has ever been considered a destination program, or at least in the last 30-40 years hasn't been. Ole Miss, like Miss St, will have to look for coaches on the come-up as they did Mullen. Mullen wasn't going to be hired by a big time program until he cut his teeth and showed success at a mid to lower tier FBS school first. Granted, I'm not sure Mullen is the best example because he did stay nine years at Miss St and I'm not sure Ole Miss will routinely be able to find a coach on the come-up to stay that long. But there are only so many destination programs out there and not all of them have openings every year and the good coaches on the rise have to coach somewhere until a destination program comes open. Ole Miss just has to be able to identify those type coaches and get them with the understanding that they may only have them three years or could get one like Mullen who ended up staying for a while.

Let me change my original question. What established good coach would want to go to Oxford?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Well he won a fluke his 1st year, then lost 3 in a row, then had fortunate circumstances (Bama injuries and stuck with a declining one dimensional QB) surrounding the game last year, he will probably lose at least 3 more in a row.
Make that every 2-4 years and he’ll still be ok. It’s been almost 40 years and four coaches removed since auburn has failed to at least do that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
An "established good coach" looks for destination programs and I'm not sure Ole Miss has ever been considered a destination program, or at least in the last 30-40 years hasn't been. Ole Miss, like Miss St, will have to look for coaches on the come-up as they did Mullen. Mullen wasn't going to be hired by a big time program until he cut his teeth and showed success at a mid to lower tier FBS school first. Granted, I'm not sure Mullen is the best example because he did stay nine years at Miss St and I'm not sure Ole Miss will routinely be able to find a coach on the come-up to stay that long. But there are only so many destination programs out there and not all of them have openings every year and the good coaches on the rise have to coach somewhere until a destination program comes open. Ole Miss just has to be able to identify those type coaches and get them with the understanding that they may only have them three years or could get one like Mullen who ended up staying for a while.
I would say Mullen isn't a great example for a different reason. The landscape has changed since 2008. His first contract was $1.2 million a season. Coordinators at successful programs are already making that.

Back to your original post, though:

I was told by several Ole Miss friends of mine that Luke is nothing more than a warm body until the program is at a point (regarding removed from sanctions etc) where they can legitimately hire a good coach. That no decent coach is going to want to come in under sanctions.
Who do your Ole Miss pals classify as a good coach? They aren't going to be able to go out and hire a successful P5 coach unless there are very few openings that year. Ole Miss wouldn't be an attractable job to someone like that. That's why I made my original post.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I would say Mullen isn't a great example for a different reason. The landscape has changed since 2008. His first contract was $1.2 million a season. Coordinators at successful programs are already making that.

Back to your original post, though:

Who do your Ole Miss pals classify as a good coach? They aren't going to be able to go out and hire a successful P5 coach unless there are very few openings that year. Ole Miss wouldn't be an attractable job to someone like that. That's why I made my original post.
Have no clue. But whoever it is they believe will be a lot better than Matt Luke. Due to the no profanity rule, I cannot use the phrase they have used to describe the program under Luke. But they feel they will be able to do a lot better. I have no reason to believe they think they will be able to get an Urban Meyer, Nick Saban type coach. But I think they feel they can get a coach who can put a competitive product on the field. By which Matt Luke definitely cannot. I've seen junior college defenses better than theirs. That is an embarrassment to not only the SEC but the game of football itself.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Have no clue. But whoever it is they believe will be a lot better than Matt Luke. Due to the no profanity rule, I cannot use the phrase they have used to describe the program under Luke. But they feel they will be able to do a lot better. I have no reason to believe they think they will be able to get an Urban Meyer, Nick Saban type coach. But I think they feel they can get a coach who can put a competitive product on the field. By which Matt Luke definitely cannot. I've seen junior college defenses better than theirs. That is an embarrassment to not only the SEC but the game of football itself.
Completely off topic, but I've been meaning to share this fabulous tweet about Matt Luke from SEC Media Days for awhile now.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1019225650106978304

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Every conference has high profile HC jobs, in the SEC: Ole Miss, MSU, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Missouri, Arkansas and South Carolina would not be considered high profile jobs any way you want to define it. That is not to say they can't get a good coach, but in most cases it will be a settle for coach.

Every once in a while these schools stumble on to an up and coming coach, but the problem is if he worth his salt he won't be there very long. A coach has to also decide if being at say Virginia Tech offers a better opportunity for success than jumping to USCe or Arkansas. Neal Brown at Troy appears to be an up and coming HC, but he has to be selective in his next move to avoid a dead end job like the schools mentioned above.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Gus kinda reminds me of Phillip Fulmer, he refuses to hire an assistant coach that's smarter than he is. It seems that he only wants yes men or people he's familiar with. With a buyout like he has I think we'll see Gus around for at least 2 more years.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Gus kinda reminds me of Phillip Fulmer, he refuses to hire an assistant coach that's smarter than he is. It seems that he only wants yes men or people he's familiar with. With a buyout like he has I think we'll see Gus around for at least 2 more years.
You don’t think Cutcliff is smarter than Phat Lock?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
They were making fun on the radio today about Joe Morehead saying it would not be a quick fix. Hahaha. What is to fix? Miss State should be proud to go 8-4 and 6-6 should be acceptable. Miss St is not Alabama, Auburn, LSU or Texas A&M. Anyway, they were saying the Cowbells are highly upset with the new HC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.