What if 6 teams go undefeated? - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: What if 6 teams go undefeated?

Quote Originally Posted by TUSCALOOSAHONOR View Post
    Right now, win/loss wise, only ou (out of my listed 6) would be out of the NCP.
    Replace them with WVU

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Head to head would WV beat Clemson? Clemson has the experience but is a beatable team. I do believe WV would beat ou but doubt they beat tosh. So I'd put them 4th-5th.

BamaNation All-SEC

It is simple, the top 4 ranked teams go in, and no one but the committee knows who that will be.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Pete Fiutak brought up a similar scenario on Twitter:

Seriously asking ... 13-0 Ohio State. 13-0 Clemson. 13-0 SEC Champ and 12-1 SEC Champ loser (to the No. 1 or 2 team) ... going by four-best team criteria, who’s out if Notre Dame is 12-0?

He then made the point that Notre Dame gets in because the SEC team gets "punished" by having to play "an extra game."

Of course, something doesn't seem totally right to me with UGA. Don't be shocked if they lose to Florida.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Pete Fiutak brought up a similar scenario on Twitter:

Seriously asking ... 13-0 Ohio State. 13-0 Clemson. 13-0 SEC Champ and 12-1 SEC Champ loser (to the No. 1 or 2 team) ... going by four-best team criteria, who’s out if Notre Dame is 12-0?

He then made the point that Notre Dame gets in because the SEC team gets "punished" by having to play "an extra game."

I think it goes in this order:

1) SEC Champ
    2) Ohio St
    3) ND
    4) West Virginia
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    5) Clemson undefeated
    6) 1 loss SECCG loser
    7) Texas/ OU 1 loss
    8) PAC 12 1 loss champ
    9) PSU 1 loss
    10) UCF/ USF undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

Of course, something doesn't seem totally right to me with UGA. Don't be shocked if they lose to Florida.
    Something really does seem off. Mizzou should've beat them, but kept bouncing passes up in the air for INTs, and Tennessee really made them look bad. Looking forward:

@LSU- I just don't think LSU has the offense or really the defense to beat them even though its a BR. Them making this a day game may have sealed the deal
    UF- I wouldn't be surprised that a Florida team gaining tremendous confidence slaps them, and takes a step towards Atlanta
    @UK- If Kentucky had a qb then I would say Snell yeah they are going to beat UGA, but I just don't know
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-SEC TheTradition's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I think it goes in this order:

1) SEC Champ
    2) Ohio St
    3) ND
    4) West Virginia
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    5) Clemson undefeated
    6) 1 loss SECCG loser
    7) Texas/ OU 1 loss
    8) PAC 12 1 loss champ
    9) PSU 1 loss
    10) UCF/ USF undefeated
    This is pretty much spot on IMO. The PAC 12 and the ACC are at the most risk of not getting a team in. I think Clemson has to go undefeated. A 1-loss Clemson team will get passed by any 1-loss team from another conference.
    "We don't really hire people to come in here and do what they do - we hire them to come in and do what we want them to do."

Coach Nick Saban - Press Conference: 3/21/11

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by TheTradition View Post
    This is pretty much spot on IMO. The PAC 12 and the ACC are at the most risk of not getting a team in. I think Clemson has to go undefeated. A 1-loss Clemson team will get passed by any 1-loss team from another conference.
    Whats really hurting Clemson is ND. Notre Dame is technically an ACC team. I guarantee you if it comes down to ND and Clemson you are going to hear a lot of Co Champs bullcrap to diminish Clemson's extra game.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-American

The likelihood of there being 6 undefeated P5 teams is infinitesimal. There have been a total of 6 undefeated teams entering the BCS or CFP in the past 7 years. Not one year has there been more than one. The real issue is finding 4 one loss teams which is the only reason Bama made it last year. There were no undefeated teams and only 5 one loss teams with Wisc being the team left out. It will be an upset if there is more than two undefeated teams, unusual if more than one. In fact, it would be the first time in eight years. We were seriously considering 2 two loss teams: AU and OSU.

The above is another reason why those who claim Bama is lucky to make the playoffs with a loss are just talking. Since the CFB playoffs there have been 2 undefeated teams out of the 16 participants, Bama being one of them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

As of Oct 9 the unbeatens are:

Those who will play each other are:

Alabama/Georgia
    NC State/Clemson
    Cincinnati/UCF(the defending NC)/USF

then we have

Notre Dame
    W Virginia
    Ohio State
    Colorado
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation All-American Snuffy Smith's Avatar

What if 6 teams go undefeated?

I don’t expect more than 4 or 5 to remain unbeaten. I do think any scenario where there are 3 or more power 5 (including ND) unbeaten would eliminate a once beaten SEC runner-up regardless of where they were previously ranked.

The real question would be whether or not a #1 Alabama losing to #2 UGA in OT in the SECCG would get in before a 1 loss Big 12 or PAC 10 champion. What happened last year would lead me to believe yes.

On a related note- I am really pulling for an undefeated UCF to get snubbed again in favor of a 1 loss power 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Snuffy Smith; October 9th, 2018 at 07:40 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    On a related note- I am really pulling for an undefeated UCF to get snubbed again in favor of a 1 loss power 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If that happens the screams for playoff expansion will get louder. Plus, this will cause expansion because that is how things work now. Complain loud enough and long enough, eventually you get your way. I am hoping this joke of a team loses to end this garbage.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

There will be two unbeaten teams at the end of the year

Bama and UCF
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    If that happens the screams for playoff expansion will get louder. Plus, this will cause expansion because that is how things work now. Complain loud enough and long enough, eventually you get your way. I am hoping this joke of a team loses to end this garbage.
    I hope UCF Gets in as a 4 seed.....especially over a 1 loss tOSU or Clemson
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung