What if 6 teams go undefeated?

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
We were undefeated after 13 games (14 really) in 2016 also, but I get your point.
Indeed, we did have a great record at that point! Sure would have loved to have completed that season on out, but it really does illustrate how hard, if not impossible, it is to go all the way through a major conference schedule and win the bowl game too. UCF doesn't count :D

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
To answer the original question -- Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Oklahoma would get in under that scenario.

Clemson wouldn't have the strength of schedule and UCF wouldn't be considered.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
It’s my experience losses will occur...usually late in the season. As far as Bama goes they are the best team in America. The only one that can beat Bama is Bama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Looking at the schedules it could be very tough for OU to finish the regular season undefeated. They got the Red River Shootout, @TCU, @Texas Tech, Bedlam, and finally @WV.

rollntider

All-SEC
Jun 10, 2001
Bessemer AL 35023
www.blindsideblitz.com
I don't know who would get in, but based on the media talkings I know UCF and Notre Dame should not go based on:

#1 SOS, in 2017 Bama played 9 P5 opponents , and faced 2 non P5 and 1 FCS school. This was an argument against Bama being in the playoffs.
UCF will have faced 1 P5 team, 10 non P5 teams and 1 FCS team.

#2 Notre Dame - Danny Kannel will tell ya, a team that does not play in a conference title game should not be allowed in the playoffs because they play one less game than the rest , and the playoff field is for conference champions only. This was an argument by the media that they stood on.

To me the playoff committee should have a rule that states to be in the playoff you have to be a conference champion and played in the conference title game, if not, the media should drop that argument because Notre dame gets a pass all day on this mess.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
It is simple, the top 4 ranked teams go in, and no one but the committee knows who that will be.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Pete Fiutak brought up a similar scenario on Twitter:

Seriously asking ... 13-0 Ohio State. 13-0 Clemson. 13-0 SEC Champ and 12-1 SEC Champ loser (to the No. 1 or 2 team) ... going by four-best team criteria, who’s out if Notre Dame is 12-0?

He then made the point that Notre Dame gets in because the SEC team gets "punished" by having to play "an extra game."

Of course, something doesn't seem totally right to me with UGA. Don't be shocked if they lose to Florida.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Pete Fiutak brought up a similar scenario on Twitter:

Seriously asking ... 13-0 Ohio State. 13-0 Clemson. 13-0 SEC Champ and 12-1 SEC Champ loser (to the No. 1 or 2 team) ... going by four-best team criteria, who’s out if Notre Dame is 12-0?

He then made the point that Notre Dame gets in because the SEC team gets "punished" by having to play "an extra game."

I think it goes in this order:

1) SEC Champ
2) Ohio St
3) ND
4) West Virginia
- - - - - - - - - - -
5) Clemson undefeated
6) 1 loss SECCG loser
7) Texas/ OU 1 loss
8) PAC 12 1 loss champ
9) PSU 1 loss
10) UCF/ USF undefeated

Of course, something doesn't seem totally right to me with UGA. Don't be shocked if they lose to Florida.
Something really does seem off. Mizzou should've beat them, but kept bouncing passes up in the air for INTs, and Tennessee really made them look bad. Looking forward:

@LSU- I just don't think LSU has the offense or really the defense to beat them even though its a BR. Them making this a day game may have sealed the deal
UF- I wouldn't be surprised that a Florida team gaining tremendous confidence slaps them, and takes a step towards Atlanta
@UK- If Kentucky had a qb then I would say Snell yeah they are going to beat UGA, but I just don't know

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
I think it goes in this order:

1) SEC Champ
2) Ohio St
3) ND
4) West Virginia
- - - - - - - - - - -
5) Clemson undefeated
6) 1 loss SECCG loser
7) Texas/ OU 1 loss
8) PAC 12 1 loss champ
9) PSU 1 loss
10) UCF/ USF undefeated
This is pretty much spot on IMO. The PAC 12 and the ACC are at the most risk of not getting a team in. I think Clemson has to go undefeated. A 1-loss Clemson team will get passed by any 1-loss team from another conference.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is pretty much spot on IMO. The PAC 12 and the ACC are at the most risk of not getting a team in. I think Clemson has to go undefeated. A 1-loss Clemson team will get passed by any 1-loss team from another conference.
Whats really hurting Clemson is ND. Notre Dame is technically an ACC team. I guarantee you if it comes down to ND and Clemson you are going to hear a lot of Co Champs bullcrap to diminish Clemson's extra game.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The likelihood of there being 6 undefeated P5 teams is infinitesimal. There have been a total of 6 undefeated teams entering the BCS or CFP in the past 7 years. Not one year has there been more than one. The real issue is finding 4 one loss teams which is the only reason Bama made it last year. There were no undefeated teams and only 5 one loss teams with Wisc being the team left out. It will be an upset if there is more than two undefeated teams, unusual if more than one. In fact, it would be the first time in eight years. We were seriously considering 2 two loss teams: AU and OSU.

The above is another reason why those who claim Bama is lucky to make the playoffs with a loss are just talking. Since the CFB playoffs there have been 2 undefeated teams out of the 16 participants, Bama being one of them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.