What if 6 teams go undefeated?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Two things I’ve learned on TF:

1) Fans don’t know nearly as much about who should he our QB in spring ball as they think

2) Fans don’t know nearly as much about the mindset of the playoff committee as they think

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Two things I’ve learned on TF:

1) Fans don’t know nearly as much about who should he our QB in spring ball as they think

2) Fans don’t know nearly as much about the mindset of the playoff committee as they think
Well we did have that guy that believed in double committees. And obsessed over the lluminati of voters in back rooms with mustaches and big cigars. So number 2 maybe be wrong but not number 1

Some guy FromBama, spelled FSU as FRU, and constantly spelled in CAPS....but the name escapes me.... ;)

Point being some actually can care too much with #2, but #1 is less of a concern since so many made a butt of themselves in 2014 over it.

Last edited:

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
ND has a garbage schedule? Uh no. Not if Michigan, Stanford, USC and Syracuse finish strong.

Last edited:

bamarobr

May 30, 2018
I agree no way there will be 6 undefeated teams. But, I do wonder if UCF is one of them, do they get in? The easy answer is no, but after last year, if they go undefeated two consecutive years, the question will be asked, "Will a group of 5 team ever go" by group of 5 AD's.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree no way there will be 6 undefeated teams. But, I do wonder if UCF is one of them, do they get in? The easy answer is no, but after last year, if they go undefeated two consecutive years, the question will be asked, "Will a group of 5 team ever go" by group of 5 AD's.
The only relevant question is, what are the 4 best teams. I get that people with agendas ask other questions, but only people with agendas care.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
ND has a garbage schedule? Uh no. Not if Michigan, Stanford, USC and Syracuse finish strong.
Wouldn’t hold your breath on Cuse. They got some initial hype by beating FSU at their lowest point, but the Clemson game was fools gold. They played way over their heads against a team in disarray and down to their 3rd QB. Orange still have to play NC State, @ND, and @BC, all most likely losses. They are an 8-4 team at best, 6-6 at worst. End of the day they do no more for ND’s SOS than Mizzou will do for ours.

That’s not to insinuate ND has a garbage schedule. That’s overstating it. Let’s be real though, it’s a far more favorable schedule than they have most years. Other than USC there’s probably not a team in the last 6 games with a shot to beat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
The two that aren't from a power 5 get left out. If bama or uga are undefeated they go in. If Ohio st or,clemson stay unbeaten they are in. If ND stays clean they get in depending on how the big 12 shakes out.

Ucf can win a national title by beating Michigan state in the Idaho potato bowl as long as "mini trucker magazine" crowns them national champs again. so they don't really matter, nor should they.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Right now, the schedule is hot trash. I gave you Michigan. They are looking strong. Syracuse is average at best. Stanford has fallen off the wagon. USC? Maybe, but I'm not seeing it. Florida State isn't even hot garbage anymore. They're room temperature and fading fast.

Don't get me wrong. It was a nice schedule on paper at the beginning of the season. Midway through, however, it does not look great at all. But like I said, if Notre Dame can win out, they will still be in excellent shape for getting a playoff bid.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Right now, the schedule is hot trash. I gave you Michigan. They are looking strong. Syracuse is average at best. Stanford has fallen off the wagon. USC? Maybe, but I'm not seeing it. Florida State isn't even hot garbage anymore. They're room temperature and fading fast.

Don't get me wrong. It was a nice schedule on paper at the beginning of the season. Midway through, however, it does not look great at all. But like I said, if Notre Dame can win out, they will still be in excellent shape for getting a playoff bid.
I think that you have to give them credit for the teams that should have been. I mean, when ND scheduled those teams, they were very solid teams. Holding their performance against ND would be like holding FSU's collapse last year against Alabama.

All that said, because they have played what have turned out to be weak opponents, we have no idea how good ND is right now. They could be a great team, or another 2012 paper tiger.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think that you have to give them credit for the teams that should have been. I mean, when ND scheduled those teams, they were very solid teams. Holding their performance against ND would be like holding FSU's collapse last year against Alabama.

All that said, because they have played what have turned out to be weak opponents, we have no idea how good ND is right now. They could be a great team, or another 2012 paper tiger.
Yes, as I said, I think at the beginning of the year, the schedule looked strong. Notre Dame always has a good schedule on paper. It's just that, other than Michigan at this point, the rest looks unspectacular at best, even the teams they have yet to play. There is nothing Notre Dame can do to help that, but it is what it is. Ultimately, it won't hurt them unless we have unbeaten teams from 4 power conferences. Which is looking less likely by the day because of the Big 12.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Yes, as I said, I think at the beginning of the year, the schedule looked strong. Notre Dame always has a good schedule on paper. It's just that, other than Michigan at this point, the rest looks unspectacular at best, even the teams they have yet to play. There is nothing Notre Dame can do to help that, but it is what it is. Ultimately, it won't hurt them unless we have unbeaten teams from 4 power conferences. Which is looking less likely by the day because of the Big 12.
If ND goes undefeated - they are in. IMO, deservedly so. The PAC12 only has Colorado undefeated now, does anyone expect that to continue? The same in the Big12 with WVU. As is now stands, IMO, ND would be taken over an undefeated Clemson as well as an undefeated WVU and Colorado, though again the likelihood of either going undefeated is tiny. In fact, the only undefeated teams who are locks over ND are Alabama, OSU and UGA. I.e., there is NO way an undefeated ND is left out - none. Don't let the Ball State and Vandy games fool anyone, they look much better than 2012.

On another note. Many like to dismiss JH as a coach but Mich has a legitimate shot to make it. Though I would still pick OSU because they appear better overall, Mich's D is very good and the O is improving and JH is a good coach. So is Herman, though Texas will unlikely make it this year even if they win out, which they could. JH and Herman are not clowns as some here like to claim, they are very good coaches at blueblood programs, however flawed those administrations are. But JH seems like he's still trying to win in Les Miles style, though he is a far superior coach.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There are currently 11 undefeated teams. Mathematically 7 can go undefeated by the time the playoff teams are chosen. I doubt there are 7 undefeated teams. Colorado and West Virginia will most likely lose at least one game before the playoffs. The 3 AAC teams all play each other and I believe will eliminate each other by beating each other. I think UGA loses to Florida. I know clemson will lose to someone they shouldn’t, it is just a matter of time. I am not willing to put money on it but I think the only undefeated teams will be Alabama and tOSU.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I think there have only been two undefeated teams in the playoffs since they went to this format, so I think the possibility of there being six this year is slim (I'm discounting UCF and their cupcakes-only schedule). My guess is the committee is now hoping for undefeated Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Ohio State. Ohio State and Alabama have the toughest remaining schedules. Notre Dame gets the huge benefit of avoiding a conference championship game (and no, having one extra game against Navy or Vandy does not substitute for that). Clemson plays in the relatively weak ACC.

So I think this year does offer the possibility of the most undefeated teams ever, which makes it easy on the committee, in my opinion. I think it is highly unlikely that an undefeated ND gets left out.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
On another note. Many like to dismiss JH as a coach but Mich has a legitimate shot to make it. Though I would still pick OSU because they appear better overall, Mich's D is very good and the O is improving and JH is a good coach. So is Herman, though Texas will unlikely make it this year even if they win out, which they could. JH and Herman are not clowns as some here like to claim, they are very good coaches at blueblood programs, however flawed those administrations are. But JH seems like he's still trying to win in Les Miles style, though he is a far superior coach.
I agree with this for sure. I don't think Michigan or Texas will win out, but both are good teams and blueblood programs that would more than likely make the playoff if they win out.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Honestly, I feel like Clemson drops a game and misses the playoff -- the ACC is just weak this year, they aren't going to have the SOS if they aren't undefeated.

I think it's Bama, tOSU, Notre Dame and either UGA or a 12-1 Big 12 champ. Just like last year, Pac-12 is dead by October.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Honestly, I feel like Clemson drops a game and misses the playoff -- the ACC is just weak this year, they aren't going to have the SOS if they aren't undefeated.

I think it's Bama, tOSU, Notre Dame and either UGA or a 12-1 Big 12 champ. Just like last year, Pac-12 is dead by October.
I believe Sagarin rating is currently ranking the ACC dead last among the power 5 conferences

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.