Notre Dame
W Virginia
Ohio State
Colorado

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I don’t expect more than 4 or 5 to remain unbeaten. I do think any scenario where there are 3 or more power 5 (including ND) unbeaten would eliminate a once beaten SEC runner-up regardless of where they were previously ranked.

The real question would be whether or not a #1 Alabama losing to #2 UGA in OT in the SECCG would get in before a 1 loss Big 12 or PAC 10 champion. What happened last year would lead me to believe yes.

On a related note- I am really pulling for an undefeated UCF to get snubbed again in favor of a 1 loss power 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
On a related note- I am really pulling for an undefeated UCF to get snubbed again in favor of a 1 loss power 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If that happens the screams for playoff expansion will get louder. Plus, this will cause expansion because that is how things work now. Complain loud enough and long enough, eventually you get your way. I am hoping this joke of a team loses to end this garbage.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If that happens the screams for playoff expansion will get louder. Plus, this will cause expansion because that is how things work now. Complain loud enough and long enough, eventually you get your way. I am hoping this joke of a team loses to end this garbage.
I hope UCF Gets in as a 4 seed.....especially over a 1 loss tOSU or Clemson

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The only issue is that if UCF loses its probably to an undefeated USF.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
That will make it a perfect time to break from the NCAA and create Snuffy's 64 team College Football League. (I know - can't use CFL so I would have to find another name for it 😬)

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
While the clamoring would be loud it would be short-lived and - in the long run - might prove to cement the size of the CFP field as it is for some time, at least.

Put an undefeated UCF or USF in the CFP - against a true big-boy when the game really, really matters - and they'll get plastered worse than Notre Dame did by Bama in 2012. The cries would very quickly change to "See, we told you they didn't belong!" - and everyone in the world will know they were right and also know that it'll never happen again.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
As of Oct 9 the unbeatens are:

Those who will play each other are:

Alabama/Georgia
NC State/Clemson
Cincinnati/UCF(the defending NC)/USF

then we have

Notre Dame
W Virginia
Ohio State
Colorado
Given the teams remaining I don't see 6 going unbeaten.

Cincinnati/UCF/USF won't be a factor if more noteworthy teams are undefeated.
West Virginia final 4 games are @Texas, TCU, @ Okie State and Oklahoma so they probably lose to one or more of those.
Colorado probably loses to USCw, Washington or both.

After everything plays out we are probably left with Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Notre Dame as the Playoff teams.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm pretty confident WVU and Clemson will drop a game at some point. Although, Clemson's schedule is so light that I could be wrong on them.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Pete Fiutak brought up a similar scenario on Twitter:

Seriously asking ... 13-0 Ohio State. 13-0 Clemson. 13-0 SEC Champ and 12-1 SEC Champ loser (to the No. 1 or 2 team) ... going by four-best team criteria, who’s out if Notre Dame is 12-0?

He then made the point that Notre Dame gets in because the SEC team gets "punished" by having to play "an extra game."

Of course, something doesn't seem totally right to me with UGA. Don't be shocked if they lose to Florida.
Going by a true 4-best criteria, Notre Dame gets left out. They've droned on about the 13th data point. I mean, it somewhat forced the Big 12 to restart its championship game even though it was a guaranteed rematch every year. IMO, in that scenario, Georgia/Alabama is better than Notre Dame. You're going to hear a lot about Notre Dame's SOS. And I don't have any metrics in front of me, but I just don't buy it. Stanford isn't what we thought they were. USC is off this year. Florida State is garbage. At the end of the season, I'm betting only Michigan will stand out as a tough opponent. The rest are just empty suits.

But in reality, a 12-0 Notre Dame is not missing out on the playoff in favor of pretty much any 12-1 team.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
One of the radio guys here brought this up. Let’s say UCF gets in and they draw Ohio State or Clemson. Let’s say they beat one of those. They would then play Alabama and get beat so badly no other group of 5 would ever get in again.

It is funny these Georgia guys have pretty much said for a while now “No one is going to beat Alabama”. They have said the only team with even a chance of matching Alabama is Ohio State and they won’t do it unless Tua has the worst game anyone has ever had and even then it would still be close.

Then again, they followed it up with talk of Notre Dame and made this statement “Everybody likes Notre Dame”. Which could not be further from the truth. There are 3 types that like Notre Dame:
1. People that actually went to Notre Dame.
2. Catholics
3. Media

If Notre Dame is one of the undefeated, they are in the playoffs. I think they will lose to someone they shouldn’t. I also think there will only be 2 undefeated teams, Alabama and Ohio State. I think Colorado loses Saturday. UCF, USF, and Cincinnati will all beat each other to end that story. West Virginia will drop at least 2 games. Clemson will lose to someone they shouldn’t as per usual. Notre Dame will lose one as well, but still get in the playoffs. Alabama, Ohio State, Big 12 champion, and Notre Dame are in the playoffs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Going by a true 4-best criteria, Notre Dame gets left out. They've droned on about the 13th data point. I mean, it somewhat forced the Big 12 to restart its championship game even though it was a guaranteed rematch every year. IMO, in that scenario, Georgia/Alabama is better than Notre Dame. You're going to hear a lot about Notre Dame's SOS. And I don't have any metrics in front of me, but I just don't buy it. Stanford isn't what we thought they were. USC is off this year. Florida State is garbage. At the end of the season, I'm betting only Michigan will stand out as a tough opponent. The rest are just empty suits.

But in reality, a 12-0 Notre Dame is not missing out on the playoff in favor of pretty much any 12-1 team.
Notre Dame would have fought through a tougher schedule in 12 games than Clemson would have in 13 games, IMO. I expect most of these teams to drop a game and make this discussion moot.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

ND would get in over Clemson because 1) they would be Co ACC champs in name alone, 2) better SOS, and 3) more impressive.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One of the radio guys here brought this up. Let’s say UCF gets in and they draw Ohio State or Clemson. Let’s say they beat one of those. They would then play Alabama and get beat so badly no other group of 5 would ever get in again.
That's silly. If they win in the first round of the playoffs they will have proven that they belong no matter the outcome of the Alabama game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Notre Dame would have fought through a tougher schedule in 12 games than Clemson would have in 13 games, IMO. I expect most of these teams to drop a game and make this discussion moot.
ND would get in over Clemson because 1) they would be Co ACC champs in name alone, 2) better SOS, and 3) more impressive.
Well I wasn't comparing them to Clemson. I just assumed the 12-1 SECCG loser would be the head-to-head comparison to Notre Dame in that scenario. Maybe you guys are correct, Clemson would actually be left out.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yes
Well I wasn't comparing them to Clemson. I just assumed the 12-1 SECCG loser would be the head-to-head comparison to Notre Dame in that scenario. Maybe you guys are correct, Clemson would actually be left out.
The SEC loser will get left out unless the combination of ND and 2 P5 conferences eliminate themselves from the equation

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that Clemson would get in. We are on the same page. The one loss non-conference winner gets left out if there are four legit teams that are undefeated (not including UCF as "legit").

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.