Sack allowed #9

Total Offense # 5

Turnover Margin #13
Defense TDs # 3
3rd down Defense Conversion # 7
Passes intercepted # 3
Scoring Defense #5
Team Sack #5
Team Passing Efficiency Defense #3 ( I'm shocked!)
Rushing Defense #43

Total Defense #23

Source: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/468

My Take: Not bad at all. On offense, we probably need to improve our rushing offense. This is first time in long time that it's not in top 20. I think we will be in top 20 by end of season. We are blowing out the teams by halftime that our TOP is ranked #50.

Considering some issues we had on our defense, the number is impressive except for Rushing defense. We will fix that. If we can get our defense improved in our running game, the total defense will improve drastically.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think rushing defense numbers are skewed; if you used just first half numbers, I’m thinking that would improve drastically.
But, as has been mentioned before, back end of defense has to step up in run defense; 2nd and 3rd string are not helping enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think rushing defense numbers are skewed; if you used just first half numbers, I’m thinking that would improve drastically.
But, as has been mentioned before, back end of defense has to step up in run defense; 2nd and 3rd string are not helping enough.

That's a valid point. I think 2nd and 3rd string are improving each week. They have to play better. Going forward, we won't see 3rd string play much.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I can see the offensive and defensive rankings leveling out eventually. Like #8-10 offense and #10-15 defense. Which, put together, is just dominant.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
That's a valid point. I think 2nd and 3rd string are improving each week. They have to play better. Going forward, we won't see 3rd string play much.
They do need the experience, and maybe they’ll get a little more in the Citadel game (and hopefully the Tennessee game [emoji6]).

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
You know, our numbers look inverted from years past, when the defense led the charge and running the ball primarily was our offense. The search for balance seems pretty well locked in now. And that balance makes Alabama almost, almost, unbeatable at this level. Also like to add, that our schedule so far has been pretty standard to every year, and everyone else's, but Alabama is just THAT MUCH BETTER than years past. I look at the rest of the top 5, and I don't see a team there that Alabama wouldn't be at least a touchdown favorite against.

Ole Miss was predicted to be a shootout. Texas Aggies hung a few points on us in garbage time. I believe we WILL get into a true shootout at some point. Any of those other top 5 teams would be my pick, but we wouldn't see them until the playoffs. Let's see how this Missouri game goes with regard to our defensive progress. Sure, we will hang 50-60 on them, but could they break the 30 point mark?

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017

Perfect example of BamaProblems. 3d string not pulling its weight, and too much garbage time skewing the data.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I’m a big believer that defense ultimately wins championships. Otherwise, Oklahoma would probably have 5 NC’s in the last 10 yrs instead of us. It’s concerning to me that I see a marked drop off this year in our D when up until now we have never had to worry about being in the top 3 in total D during the Saban era. I think we need to progressively improve on that side of the ball if we are going to repeat as NC in January. The talent and coaching pieces are there to do it.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I’m a big believer that defense ultimately wins championships. Otherwise, Oklahoma would probably have 5 NC’s in the last 10 yrs instead of us. It’s concerning to me that I see a marked drop off this year in our D when up until now we have never had to worry about being in the top 3 in total D during the Saban era. I think we need to progressively improve on that side of the ball if we are going to repeat as NC in January. The talent and coaching pieces are there to do it.
Take a look at our defensive numbers when the score is within three touchdowns and get back to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Take a look at our defensive numbers when the score is within three touchdowns and get back to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have. Our ones are pretty dang good but below that we are extremely vulnerable on that side of the ball. We either have no depth or twos and threes that simply won’t execute. The ones cannot play the whole game against anyone much less against LSU, Georgia, the barn, or Ohio State.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have. Our ones are pretty dang good but below that we are extremely vulnerable on that side of the ball. We either have no depth or twos and threes that simply won’t execute. The ones cannot play the whole game against anyone much less against LSU, Georgia, the barn, or Ohio State.
Which ones? The DL? We rotate those throughout the game already.

The secondary only rotates to build depth - no reason they can't play an entire game if needed.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Which ones? The DL? We rotate those throughout the game already.

The secondary only rotates to build depth - no reason they can't play an entire game if needed.
I’d say mainly the LB corp, but also to some extent the dbs. Lots of sloppy tackling in the run game and big pass plays. Mond and TAMU in particular I felt were able to expose and exploit some weakness in these areas.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I agree that defense wins championships, but good grief we're breaking in a brand new secondary that is performing way better than I thought they would! Add the annual exodus
to the NFL off our defense and our best pass rusher injured, we seem to be doing fine. I agree we aren't at the level of some past teams but we need to give them time to grow. We've got a lot of backups finishing our games and some of those guys probably aren't ready but they need playing time.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I agree that defense wins championships, but good grief we're breaking in a brand new secondary that is performing way better than I thought they would! Add the annual exodus
to the NFL off our defense and our best pass rusher injured, we seem to be doing finiie. I agree we aren't at the level of some past teams but we need to give them time to grow. We've got a lot of backups finishing our games and some of those guys probably aren't ready but they need playing time.
Like you, I’m optimistic that they’ll develop and improve, I just hope it’s before the real season begins in November. Until then they simply are not going to be tested.

Bryant0086

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2009
The numbers are skewed because of garbage time. Having said that, our numbers would be worse than last year with last year's defense playing this year. A quick strike offense eventually undermines the defense because they are on the field for so many more plays. Does it really matter if you are beating teams 56-30 as oppose to 27-10 ?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If we get Terrell Lewis back for the playoffs I won't be even a little bit worried about our defense.

Not sure there is a team we will play in the regular season that has a good enough offense and defense to really make any defensive drop off(which I'm not sure we've really had) matter all that much. You can't simply stop our running game and hold us under 30. Heck you might not be able to hold us under 40.

The only teams with the talent to beat us if Tua has an off night are teams we won't see until the SECCG and playoffs IMO.

Can't wait for the LSU game

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.