Bama opponents never get called for holding - review after seeing officiating today..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Alabama opponents really don't get called for holding

It looks like Alabama is in a much better place this year with respect penalties called against your opponents, coming in at #34 right now with 7.4 penalties called per game called against your opponents to date. Last year that number was 4.5. Maybe no holding calls, but it does not appear that you are being treated terribly unfairly so far this year.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-penalties-per-game?date=2018-10-04

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

It looks like Alabama is in a much better place this year with respect penalties called against your opponents, coming in at #34 right now with 7.4 penalties called per game called against your opponents to date. Last year that number was 4.5. Maybe no holding calls, but it does not appear that you are being treated terribly unfairly so far this year.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-penalties-per-game?date=2018-10-04
Unlike most years where this holding data shows the games have pretty much all been over by halftime, so there's not as much desire (subconscious or ordered) for the refs to keep it more interesting by helping the other team.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

Looks now like a bias may be forming against other successful teams such as Clemson and UGA since they are now near the bottom.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think Alabama does better on opponent penalties because we're drawing more DPI calls on the opponent. That's just a reckon though.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

It wouldn't bother me if the non-flagged holding penalties weren't so abundant and more so glaring and obvious.

I mean game after game and series after series we have DL being egregiously held if not outright tackled to the ground. It's ridiculous. A quick 1-2 second hold here and there I could live with but our guys are being held upwards of 4-5+ seconds with the damn refs looking right it.

Some have mildly voiced concerns over not pressuring or sacking the QB enough.....

To that I say go back and watch how badly our guys get held non stop all game. If tearaway jerseys were being worn our front 7 would be jersey-less.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Whatever holding is taking place against you, it isn't working. You have 18 sacks already. :biggrin:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Whatever holding is taking place against you, it isn't working. You have 18 sacks already. :biggrin:
#BamaProblems right?...lol

It's more frustrating I guess in the 2nd half. Some of these garbage points are scored on us because holding penalties aren't being called and it allows drives to continue that otherwise would be killed by the penalty.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

One issue with that is that other dominant programs are not getting the same treatment. For example, over that period of time Ohio State has been 75-8. That's pretty darn good right? But they're right in the middle of the pack when it comes to holding calls.

So we're talking about underdog sympathy that somehow exists only for opponents of Alabama.
As it should be. :biggrin:

There are other good teams with good records, but even people not interested in football are aware that Bama is THE dominant team in the game.

I'm hearing the expression "It's not like we have to play Alabama" to describe a task that is not too difficult...I've heard it (or a similar thought) in pop culture, literature, even politics. Bama's dominance sticks out like a sore thumb. :smile:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

That UL game skewed that though :smile:. Remember, they had a half dozen motion penalties and another half dozen illegal participation (12 on field) calls. :biggrin:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This needs to be bumped to the top so that people understand why the Hogs didn't get called for repeated egregious holds against Alabama. As the Michigan man's stats show - NO ONE DOES. It's not just Arkansas...

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

This needs to be bumped to the top so that people understand why the Hogs didn't get called for repeated egregious holds against Alabama. As the Michigan man's stats show - NO ONE DOES. It's not just Arkansas...
The no call on the one long run they had was about as egregious as I have seen with an absolute impact on the play. Luckily we recovered the fumble and went on the 99 yard TD drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

This issue really bothers me, especially when in close games like LSU, Auburn, etc might be. Refs need to be consistent with both teams. I am sure Saban notices but there is not much he can do about it I guess. If BAMA starts holding then I am sure it will get called immediately. I hope we get the best refs for LSU and for Auburn. Teams will do this all the time to BAMA.

Who are the best refs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Alabama had a couple of misses that benefited us. Specifically on a couple of our long completions (Juedy TD comes to mind). This one at least went bad both ways. Arkansas was holding a great deal on those outside counter runs. Alabama had a few long completions where Lester Cotton was bear hugging a guy.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

While I think some holding calls were missed by the refs against us, today and in previous games, I refuse to believe that there is some kind of conspiracy involved nor do I think it excuses the poor defensive play by our team.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I think these refs were just bad. Missed call galore on both sides. Calls that were called were reviewed and reversed. Just checked out the Arkansas board and they believe they got the wrong end of the deal.
Well, imo, on Najee's fumble that was reversed...they missed 2 on that. Najee fumbled because of the targeting hit he took. They reversed the call on the field and decided it wasnt targeting.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I think these refs were just bad. Missed call galore on both sides. Calls that were called were reviewed and reversed. Just checked out the Arkansas board and they believe they got the wrong end of the deal.
But THAT is because Arkansas is Awbun in Red. Find me a Hog fan that would admit that we could have scored 100 pts on them?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

When you are winning by several touchdowns every week it is difficult to get much sympathy from the refs. I think it is a badge of honor that this disparity exists.
This is a lot like the whole SEC scheduling their bye week before playing Alabama

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.