Bama opponents never get called for holding - review after seeing officiating today..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I understand, I’ll get back to the OP. I guess I don’t understand why in one post you and others freely admit that Bama gets by with holding. “Everybody holds” is what one above poster said. But when your team is last in the league in holding penalties called against them then the narrative changes from “we get by with holding also” to I can’t believe how we don’t get any holding calls for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where this really stems from is from two places with Alabama fans:

1) Auburn gets away with bloody murder at JHS and gets any rule change to benefit the offense they want

2) the 2016 defense was one of the GOAT but one of the least held of all time. You can’t tell me in 99 plays in one game that defense wasn’t held once.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
It's because - as you admitted earlier - Bama typically walks on the field with superior athletes coached by superior coaches, yet somehow the other teams never have to hold the DL and LBs that almost without exception end up playing on Sundays.

It's not a black or white issue - we admit that everyone gets away with penalties - but when a team that's loaded with players that should, if anything, require opposing players to grab a jersey or whatever in order to block them or get past them is dead last in opposing penalties against, it makes no sense. If anything, Alabama should be on the upper end of spectrum wrt opposing teams getting penalized trying to get by or stick with the bigger, faster players Bama generally has.

Yet Bama has been ranked dead last not just in the SEC, but in all of FBS for the last two years in opposing penalties. It's inexplicable outside of bias - there's no way each and every team elevates their level of execution to such a high level only against one team...
I agree................

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I understand, I’ll get back to the OP. I guess I don’t understand why in one post you and others freely admit that Bama gets by with holding. “Everybody holds” is what one above poster said. But when your team is last in the league in holding penalties called against them then the narrative changes from “we get by with holding also” to I can’t believe how we don’t get any holding calls for us.

Oh, good grief! Think! Alabama holds no more or less than any other team. However, playing against Bama gives you a 250% better chance of NOT being called for holding. It doesn't matter if you're Arkansas or anyone else...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Oh, good grief! Think! Alabama holds no more or less than any other team. However, playing against Bama gives you a 250% better chance of NOT being called for holding. It doesn't matter if you're Arkansas or anyone else...
But if i misrepresent your argument its much easier to call you a hypocrite.

MaoTseTusk

Suspended
Oct 6, 2018
Firstly, I don’t agree with your opinion that Alabama holds no more or less than any other team. We’ll just agree to disagree on that one as our opinions are totally different on that.

What do you attribute this 250% discrepancy toward? Is it referee bias against Bama? Is it a conspiracy?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Firstly, I don’t agree with your opinion that Alabama holds no more or less than any other team. We’ll just agree to disagree on that one as our opinions are totally different on that.

What do you attribute this 250% discrepancy toward? Is it referee bias against Bama? Is it a conspiracy?

Do you have ANY actual proof otherwise? If not this discussion can stop because you're just trolling this board at this point.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

So regardless of being called or not, are you asserting that Alabama players hold their opponent more frequently than their opponents do?

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Re: Alabama opponents really don't get called for holding

Alabama had a couple of misses that benefited us. Specifically on a couple of our long completions (Juedy TD comes to mind). This one at least went bad both ways. Arkansas was holding a great deal on those outside counter runs. Alabama had a few long completions where Lester Cotton was bear hugging a guy.
I think you’re gonna have to get a few screen shots to convince this guy

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Never mind - you came here with an agenda and I am not going to continue to play your game. Focus on your next opponent. The season is only half over.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Could you please post the hundreds of thousands of pictures of every hold from every Div 1 school over the last 10 years that shows this discrepancy that you are alluding to here? That should prove it and we already know you like pictures.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

There aren't any stats on how often Bama holds. There aren't any stats on how often Arkansas holds. However, there are stats on how often Bama's opponents get called for holding - and it's pathetic, but you don't want to talk about that because you don't even begin to have an answer for it. You are hanging by a thread here. If you want to hang around and discuss football productively, fine. If you want just to argue angels on the head of a pin endlessly, I'll put you out of your misery quickly...

MaoTseTusk

Suspended
Oct 6, 2018
Ok so by this line of logic I can say that simply by becoming the head coach at Alabama your penalties per game ranking would go from 8th in the league to 3rd the instant you step on campus. That’s quite remarkable!

That is exactly what happen for Nick Saban when he left LSU to go to Alabama.

In all seriousness how do you explain this? He already was at a powerhouse program. He didn’t switch leagues, heck he didn’t even switch divisions. He was a national championship coach at Baton Rouge so it’s not like he morphed from an average coach to a great one at Bama? That’s a HUGE bump for an established coach.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Could you please post the hundreds of thousands of pictures of every hold from every Div 1 school over the last 10 years that shows this discrepancy that you are alluding to here? That should prove it and we already know you like pictures.
And remember, we asked for Div 1 pics, so you should filter out all that pop warner stuff from the Bret Arky days...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Ok so by this line of logic I can say that simply by becoming the head coach at Alabama your penalties per game ranking would go from 8th in the league to 3rd the instant you step on campus. That’s quite remarkable!

In all seriousness how do you explain this? He already was at a powerhouse program. He didn’t switch leagues, heck he didn’t even switch divisions. He was a national championship coach at Baton Rouge so it’s not like he morphed from an average coach to a great one at Bama? That’s a HUGE bump for an established coach.

What does any of this have to do with Saban? Alabama fans have theories about the current penalty discrepancies, and none of them involve conspiracies. They all center around the idea that physically dominant teams and players simply don't get the same calls as weaker teams and players get. There are examples throughout sports. But, really, we don't know why - we only know that the stats bear it out. Alabama's opponents have fewer penalties called in games with Alabama than their other games, and Alabama's opponents get called for fewer penalties than other teams' opponents.

I would say that it is just a statistical anomaly if it had not become a trend for the last 5+ years.

Do you have a better idea why these stats look as they do?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Do you even understand that you're making the OP's point? When he came to Bama, it was practically a guarantee that he would face biased calls in favor of the other opponents' OLs? Good God! What do you understand?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I'll say it again - Alabama has averaged 6th in the SEC over the last five years in penalties per game.

Maybe it's time to reevaluate your argument as your data points are either wildly outdated or totally incorrect.

MaoTseTusk

Suspended
Oct 6, 2018
Better if you check your numbers before just posting stuff, we do like facts around here:
Southeastern Conference Leaders Penalties:
2014: 3rd
2015: 12th
2016: 5th
2017: 3rd
2018: 6th

So over the last five seasons, Bama has ranked 6th in the SEC in penalties per game. I'm guessing this isn't the anomaly you were looking for.
You like stats that fit your agenda!

I wonder why you didn’t include ALL sabans years in Tuscaloosa? LOL!

2007- 1st
2008- 1st
2009- 3rd
2010- 3rd
2011- 1st
2012- 1st

Whoops! I guess you just forgot to leave these out!!

It’s amazing that the minute Saban walked into Tuscaloosa his teams went from 7th-8th in penalties per game in the league to 1st-3rd least penalized. That’s an amazing jump!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.