Anti-PC Writers Tricked Academic Journals Into Accepting Hoax Papers on Dog Rape, etc

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Bwahahahahahaha!

A trio of writers who describe themselves as left-leaning but decry the academic influence of political correctness, identity politics, and what they call "grievance studies" conducted an experiment: Could they fool scholarly journals into publishing hoax papers masquerading as legitimate scholarship?

The answer, it turns out, was yes.

In addition to the papers on fat studies, feminism spirituality, and neoliberal choice feminism, Lindsay, Pluckrose, and Boghossian also found a home for a fourth paper, "Rape Culture and (Gay) Performativity at Urban Dog Parks."

Wilson spent 100 hours in three dog parks, where she made note of a whole bunch of times when one dog humped another. When the humping was male-on-male, owners intervened in the overwhelming number of cases. But when the humping was male-on-female, owners were far less likely to stop it. This, the study suggests, might say something about the owners' internalized homophobia and their willingness to overlook female victims of sexual assault.
http://reason.com/blog/2018/10/03/dog-rape-hoax-papers-pluckrose-lindsay

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
There's a lot of garbage in academic circles these days. I've talked before about a former girl friend - only briefly, but we were friends before and currently - who left her budding career in foreign policy (Chinese studies) to run off to become an angry feminist poet. In between she became a part time lesbian, ran off to Southern California with her much older male professor from Georgetown, came back to the DC area to get married to a very marginally masculine man, and had a son she is raising to be gender neutral. So, now she's a published poet of angry, man-hating feminism and is a professor at a major university in the area. So, yeah, there's that. :rolleye2::biggrin:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
On the surface, seems like a silly story.

There’s a legitimate need for “gate-keeping” in many areas of life, not just academia. But in my opinion, humanity’s story of struggle for individual freedom is the story of struggle for access to information and knowledge. From the Gutenberg Press to educational access to the digital age and a free and open internet, freedom is enabled by knowledge. And power resides in the hands of those who control the flow of information.

Gate-keeping, as necessary as it may be in so many areas, is rife with the potential for misuse. It requires vigilant oversight in order to maximize the dissemination of legitimate information, and minimize the dissemination of “fake news”. Else it can easily become a tool of intentional or unintentional oppression.

Or maybe it’s just a silly story.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Let's hope they don't take this obvious clownery to legitimate scientific journals.

There is already the alternative health meme that we don't need peer-reviewed research, that the Big Pharma companies are making people sick for profit. Hey, all you need to cure cancer is take my new snake oil, drink lots of veggie juice, take coffee enemas, follow the David Avocado Wolfe (Google that idiot and laugh) protocols.

I doubt this kind of frivolity would get past the NIH and other respectable scientific research journals. The alt-health folks hate to have the light of truth (RESEARCH!) put upon them. (See Gerson "therapy")

But I digress.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.