25 years ago today the Battle for Mogadishu was fought ( black hawk down)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
When the government didn’t give the support the military what they wanted, these men’s courage and love for one another carried them through

https://www.google.com/amp/www.fayo...pa-on-todays-25th-anniversary?template=ampart

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...-the-fateful-fight-changed-combat-operations/

One of the few things I hold against Clinton. It was probably the most fierce and chaotic battles in modern history.

FWIW I hold a considerable blame against HW for this also, but Gothic serpent and it’s after is a blame I hold against Clinton for not supplying Gen garrison with the proper support he requested

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Wow. 25 years ago. How time does fly. If we intervene somewhere we need to bring enough stuff to get the job done.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Wow. 25 years ago. How time does fly. If we intervene somewhere we need to bring enough stuff to get the job done.
I agree with when we first went in, but like always we really shouldn’t stay because we have a tendency to make things worse. But believing Somalis were nothing more than rock slinging savages was the government’s grave mistake.

I’ll give Clinton this, at least he learned from his mistake and fought the Malosovich wars mostly through the air instead of mostly through the ground.

But the cat was out of the bag and just reaffirmed the suspicions about the USA weaknesses from Vietnam: No third world country could beat the US military but you could beat the US public opinion. It gave folks like Bin Laden the idea of drawing the US into long engagements and into costly urban battles that could change the US mindset amongst the people. Win the long game by losing the short game. Which is why democracies in general are weaker in long wars as opposed to dictatorships. Democracies don’t do well in long engagements when power is centralized.

Am I saying I want a dictatorship?!?! No and hell no. I’m saying we don’t need to try to win a war in an occupying manner vs a third world nation or failed state. If we go in then we need to win it fast and with a force as big a reasonably necessary with a clear plan.

But I do think letting Adidd off the hook after October 3rd, 1993 was ill advised. I also think Gothic Serpent should’ve never been implemented in the first place, but after soldiers were drug through the streets Adidd needed to be removed from power regardless of what should or shouldn’t happened before that day.

Last edited:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I agree with when we first went in, but like always we really shouldn’t stay because we have a tendency to make things worse. But believing Somalis were nothing more than rock slinging savages was the government’s grave mistake.

I’ll give Clinton this, at least he learned from his mistake and fought the Malosovich wars mostly through the air instead of mostly through the ground.

But the cat was out of the bag and just reaffirmed the suspicions about the USA weaknesses from Vietnam: No third world country could beat the US military but you could beat the US public opinion. It gave folks like Bin Laden the idea of drawing the US into long engagements and into costly urban battles that could change the US mindset amongst the people. Win the long game by losing the short game. Which is why democracies in general are weaker in long wars as opposed to dictatorships. Democracies don’t do well in long engagements when power is centralized.

Am I saying I want a dictatorship?!?! No and hell no. I’m saying we don’t need to try to win a war in an occupying manner vs a third world nation or failed state. If we go in then we need to win it fast and with a force as big a reasonably necessary with a clear plan.

But I do think letting Adidd off the hook after October 3rd, 1993 was ill advised. I also think Gothic Serpent should’ve never been implemented in the first place, but after soldiers were drug through the streets Adidd needed to be removed from power regardless of what should or shouldn’t happened before that day.
Our recent foreign entanglements have come with rose-colored glasses. Thinking Iraq would be a push-over, that the Iraqis would welcome our troops as liberators and with flowers. Getting rid of Saddam, Muammar Qaddaffi, without realizing that the region has no experience with liberal democracy - in fact, it will never work in that part of the world. The only reason Israel is a liberal democracy is that it was settled primarily by Ashkenazi/European Jews.

I admit that I was hoodwinked by the Arab Spring, thinking that overthrowing the despotic regimes would lead to greater freedom and democracy in the region. When all that did is create a vacuum under which ISIS and other Islamist groups could thrive. Even in the war in Syria, does anyone really believe that the force we were backing were interested in liberal democracy and freedom? I think we cast our lot with them because they seemed to be less odious than the murderous Assad forces and the sinister and evil ISIS terrrorists. There were other assorted Islamist groups in coalitions as well. What a mess.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Our recent foreign entanglements have come with rose-colored glasses. Thinking Iraq would be a push-over, that the Iraqis would welcome our troops as liberators and with flowers. Getting rid of Saddam, Muammar Qaddaffi, without realizing that the region has no experience with liberal democracy - in fact, it will never work in that part of the world. The only reason Israel is a liberal democracy is that it was settled primarily by Ashkenazi/European Jews.

I admit that I was hoodwinked by the Arab Spring, thinking that overthrowing the despotic regimes would lead to greater freedom and democracy in the region. When all that did is create a vacuum under which ISIS and other Islamist groups could thrive. Even in the war in Syria, does anyone really believe that the force we were backing were interested in liberal democracy and freedom? I think we cast our lot with them because they seemed to be less odious than the murderous Assad forces and the sinister and evil ISIS terrrorists. There were other assorted Islamist groups in coalitions as well. What a mess.
Agreed. And it's so obvious that the result is failure and more chaos. History is thick with examples of revolution that promised the populace something it never had or could handle. And the result was far worse. Liberal democracies with market economies take time to develop. It has to become part of the identity of the people. To paraphrase one of my political philosophy professors: To get a rose plant to grow you have to prepare the soil and care for the plant while it takes root. You can't just lob the seedling from a speeding car onto a trash heap and expect good results.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Well, the Russians spent 13 years fighting the Afghans before they threw in the towel and pulled out and we have now been there longer and we still haven't figured it out.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Well, the Russians spent 13 years fighting the Afghans before they threw in the towel and pulled out and we have now been there longer and we still haven't figured it out.
Like the British, and Alexander the Great before them.

Afghanistan is quicksand for empires. We were too stupid to realize it. We made great hay about how we toppled the Taliban so quickly, when all they did was run to the hills and continue fighting the low-grade fight until we got tired of it.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Afghanistan is quicksand for empires. We were too stupid to realize it. We made great hay about how we toppled the Taliban so quickly, when all they did was run to the hills and continue fighting the low-grade fight until we got tired of it.
Yeah but the profits have been rolling in for the bomb-makers. It's a great place to fight if you want unending war for your military industrial complex and you aren't worried about any human costs.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah but the profits have been rolling in for the bomb-makers. It's a great place to fight if you want unending war for your military industrial complex and you aren't worried about any human costs.
As the public has tired of the war in Afghanistan we appear to have identified Iran as our next point of conflict.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Alexander was the most successful because he saw it as an unconquerable place so he got a win over Besus and hightailed it to India instead of staying there. He basically said “ I beat the Persian remnants and we can move onto porus”.

What we should’ve done was get in, get our guy, and get out like Alexander. But we have made the same mistakes as the British and Soviets and got into a long engagement.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.