Saban was "disappointed" to see the student section half-full during the UL game

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: Saban was "disappointed" to see the student section half-full during the UL game

A H/H with, say, Penn State rather than Louisiana Lafayette would most definitely help game attendance. If you played Penn State or any upper tier football program - even at 11 am - the place will be packed. At least at kick off.
A PSU H/H only replaces a neutral site opener. It doesn’t replace a directional school game. There is no way we are getting rid of the lower fbs games, and in terms of championship hunting we shouldn’t either. Maybe rethink who we play from those weaker FBS.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: Saban was "disappointed" to see the student section half-full during the UL game

I wonder if Saban has a "Wheel of Whine" in his office....and each week he spins it to find ONE thing to talk about so people won't talk about how good his team is....but will talk about whatever Saban is "Complaining about this time".... lol, I think it's brilliant.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

A PSU H/H only replaces a neutral site opener. It doesn’t replace a directional school game. There is no way we are getting rid of the lower fbs games, and in terms of championship hunting we shouldn’t either. Maybe rethink who we play from those weaker FBS.
Doesn't have to replace a neutral site game; but, if it does, so be it. By saying rethink who we play, you're proving my point. You asked how a h/h would solve 11am directional game attendance. The answer is pretty simple. Play a better opponent. I think all SEC schools have to play at least one 11 game. Can't control that. You can, however, control who you schedule.

I personally will be at as many games as possible. I've had season tix for 20 years. I've sat through good seasons and bad. I explain to my wife and daughters that we need to be there because you never know when this ride will end; and, now with Tua, we have the chance to see a once in a lifetime talent play.

Anyone who has sat on the east side in a FULL stadium, elbow to elbow with others, in 90+ degree heat, sun beating down on you for 4 hours, watching 3rd, 4th and 5th stringers play for 2 quarters - and the coach not opening up the playbook because you're already up by 40 - and you have a 3+ hour drive home in front of you knows exactly why some (not me; but some folks) leave at halftime. You can make all the snide remarks you want; but reality is reality.

The students, OTOH, is another story. I think this generation of kids have too many options now; and are aren't used to focusing on just one thing for 4 hours. As a parent of a Jr and Sr in HS, this is just my opinion.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Doesn't have to replace a neutral site game; but, if it does, so be it. By saying rethink who we play, you're proving my point. You asked how a h/h would solve 11am directional game attendance. The answer is pretty simple. Play a better opponent. I think all SEC schools have to play at least one 11 game. Can't control that. You can, however, control who you schedule.

I personally will be at as many games as possible. I've had season tix for 20 years. I've sat through good seasons and bad. I explain to my wife and daughters that we need to be there because you never know when this ride will end; and, now with Tua, we have the chance to see a once in a lifetime talent play.

Anyone who has sat on the east side in a FULL stadium, elbow to elbow with others, in 90+ degree heat, sun beating down on you for 4 hours, watching 3rd, 4th and 5th stringers play for 2 quarters - and the coach not opening up the playbook because you're already up by 40 - and you have a 3+ hour drive home in front of you knows exactly why some (not me; but some folks) leave at halftime. You can make all the snide remarks you want; but reality is reality.

The students, OTOH, is another story. I think this generation of kids have too many options now; and are aren't used to focusing on just one thing for 4 hours. As a parent of a Jr and Sr in HS, this is just my opinion.
Realistically we aren’t going to play 2 P5 OOC opponents so let’s stick to the 1, 2, and 1 model for argument’s sake because anything else is just wishful thinking. The point is that we are more than likely are going to suffer a 11 am kickoff with a directional school, and the only way to avoid it is schedule more intriguing lower fbs matchups than a regional nobody.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

Realistically we aren’t going to play 2 P5 OOC opponents so let’s stick to the 1, 2, and 1 model for argument’s sake because anything else is just wishful thinking. The point is that we are more than likely are going to suffer a 11 am kickoff with a directional school, and the only way to avoid it is schedule more intriguing lower fbs matchups than a regional nobody.
“I know nobody really asked this, but I’ve always been an advocate of playing all Power 5 schools,” Saban told a media horde. “I think we need to have more really, really good games on TV for the players. We can’t have fans who pay a lot of money for tickets and boxes and loges who support our programs to pay for games that no one is interested in watching.”
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/19/17587338/nick-saban-scheduling-power-conferences

You may think it's unrealistic; but apparently Saban thinks differently. Now, I also realize he's posturing somewhat because we all know he has the power to make that happen with our schedule if he really wants to. He's basically admitting that it's not fair to the fans to schedule these horrible matchups, then turning around and complaining because people aren't showing up when they actually schedule these horrible matchups.

Ohio State played Oregon State and TCU this year. Clemson plays South Carolina and Texas A&M. USC plays ND and Texas. I can go on and on . . . saying it's not realistic doesn't really hold water when other P5 programs are doing it. If they really want to fix the attendance/staying the whole game issue, they can schedule better and they know it. They just need to prioritize what's most important to them - making money and recruiting inroads off of the neutral site games or scheduling some H/H opponents that will put/keep people in the seats (although it IS possible to blend the two together over multiple seasons). Arkansas State, Louisiana and the Citadel is not appealing to anyone. There's just no way to argue that. It doesn't matter if it's 11, 2:30 or 7. As long as our OOC home schedule looks like this, we will continue to have these types of attendance issues. My two cents and now my pocket is empty. :)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/19/17587338/nick-saban-scheduling-power-conferences

You may think it's unrealistic; but apparently Saban thinks differently. Now, I also realize he's posturing somewhat because we all know he has the power to make that happen with our schedule if he really wants to. He's basically admitting that it's not fair to the fans to schedule these horrible matchups, then turning around and complaining because people aren't showing up when they actually schedule these horrible matchups.

Ohio State played Oregon State and TCU this year. Clemson plays South Carolina and Texas A&M. USC plays ND and Texas. I can go on and on . . . saying it's not realistic doesn't really hold water when other P5 programs are doing it. If they really want to fix the attendance/staying the whole game issue, they can schedule better and they know it. They just need to prioritize what's most important to them - making money and recruiting inroads off of the neutral site games or scheduling some H/H opponents that will put/keep people in the seats (although it IS possible to blend the two together over multiple seasons). Arkansas State, Louisiana and the Citadel is not appealing to anyone. There's just no way to argue that. It doesn't matter if it's 11, 2:30 or 7. As long as our OOC home schedule looks like this, we will continue to have these types of attendance issues. My two cents and now my pocket is empty. :)
Saban can think that all he wants to, but the truth is playing multiple P5 teams does us no benefits. Ask tOSU fans “was playing OU a huge advantage and entertainment value over playing Mercer?” Until there are rules requiring other SEC teams to play multiple then I’m against that idea and all for the 1,2,1 deal.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

then turning around and complaining because people aren't showing up when they actually schedule these horrible matchups.
I have to say this periodically because it seems some people either ignore or are oblivious to this fact. There are plenty of anecdotes from this year, from respected posters on this forum, about lackluster fan support for SEC games. I can underline that, I can bold that, I can emphasize it all I want, but that's the simple fact of the matter.

Did you listen to what Vinnie had to say? He was one of those heart and hustle type guys at Alabama, busted his butt and what game did he complain about fan support at? Was it an FCS team? No, it was Ole Miss. I've mentioned this a few times but the 2012 Auburn game never had a full stadium, and it ended with an upperdeck that was mostly empty. That's the Auburn game.

So we can complain about scheduling all we want, but this problem extends beyond that. The problem is fans showing apathy when the outcome is not in doubt. That's the issue, that's the problem, and unless you line up a murderers row of the top 12 teams in college football, there's no way to attain the type of close games some of these people seem to want. The fans simply have to allow themselves to be coached up and learn that it is important they support the team for 4 quarters, every single game, not just when it is close. That's not an issue with scheduling, because Saban is going to blow out every team he can.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.