The Modernist House on the Prairie

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Interesting story about preserving an iconic structure.

LINK

The Prairie House, built in 1961, was featured in Life and Look magazines and newspapers throughout the world. Famed photographer Julius Schulman came to Norman and photographed the house. Greene, who studied at OU under Goff, is an architect, but also an accomplished artist.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Architect Herb Greene (right) and his artistic director, Lila Cohen, gaze out the semi-circle window of a former bedroom in the Prairie House. A piece of Oklahoma’s architectural legacy will be protected thanks to a collaboration between the OU College of Architecture and preservationist Brent Swift. Scott Williams

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
OK that explains your comment, no offense.

Did you read the article I linked? It may provide some insight into the significance aspect.

No one is saying this is a beautiful structure by conventional standards. But it has historical significance on several levels.
There is a possibility it was discussed in my Architectural Theory class and I just don’t remember. Although I am pretty sure I would, I was always pretty, vocal about what I thought was bad design or just a crap building. I loved theory class because we got to be honest without judgement. I did a presentation on cyborg architecture. Basically, architecture with no soul. I was particularly brutal to today’s residential housing. I had a great source that I would have to look up his name. He was equally brutal to residential cookie cutter neighborhoods.

As far as this is concerned? This is just a hut. It is not interesting to me. If I had never seen this article and just happened upon this structure, I would never think anyone extensively studied it.

Side note: One of our first assignments was to take a picture was a building that we considered to be “architecture” and a building we considered to be “just a building”. These had to be local so Georgia or Atlanta. My building that I considered architecture was The High Museum of Art. My “just a building” was the Atlanta Marriott Marquis. I took some heat for that one. I think John Portman is a hack architect and hate all of his buildings. I was also pretty vocal in my hatred of one of the more famous architects Frank Lloyd Wright (I have always called him Frank Lloyd Wrong.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.