Question: Does Waddle deserve more touches?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I know the issue is that we are so insanely stacked on offense that its already hard to get guys like Ruggs, Jeudy, Smitty, Najee, DH, Jacobs, AND Irv Smith the touches they deserve. Adding Waddle makes it almost impossible.

But, this quote caught my eye...

NFL scout: Get Jaylen Waddle the ball

[FONT=&quot]The entire SEC – and the college football world – is focused on the impact of Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa. One NFL scout, though, says another Alabama player has been vastly overlooked. “I love the small kid, the wide receiver (Jaylen) Waddle. He’s a chunk play waiting to happen. I would get the ball in his hands any way I could. Passing game, jet sweeps, returns. Shoot, I’d run a play for him at tailback, block the heck out of it and see if he can make a guy miss to break a big one.” …[/FONT]
Link

He's just so explosive that it really might be worth drawing up a few jet sweep/running plays for him and use them a couple times a game. The other WRs and RBs are all fantastic but its clear Waddle with the ball in his hands is special. I wouldn't be opposed to finding more creative ways to get him involved.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I think Saban is trying to get him worked in a lot already. If we didn't have so much other talent I would say yes but don't want to play him so much he gets over extended and gets hurt. We are scoring enough just as things are.

I do agree that he is fun to watch though. When they punted to him last Sat and he had all that space in front of him, I said to my sons look out he's fixing to go all the way...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yes of course he does.

So does everyone else on our offense. :D
Right? That really is the biggest problem. I just think throwing in a running play, screen or jet sweep with him once or twice a game could be a good idea. Basically any play that gets the ball in his hands quickly, in space and with blockers. Turn it into a punt return kind of.

That said, you're right. And its not as though we need this kind of wrinkle based on how our offense has played so far.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
For me he's a hybrid of Desean Jackson (Cal Bears in College/Phi Eagles NFL) and Drake.

He 100% needs more touches and it looks like he is game by game. We have to remember he's only been with the team since Fall Camp so I'm sure he's working hard to get the playbook down.

But what I love is how great he's been at PR and as a TF at that. He fields it cleanly and confidently every time even if it's a fair catch. I'm no longer nervous about a botched fielding job like all of last year.

The kid is Amazing though....really REALLY special. I was just saying to a buddy of mine last night that Waddle could be a Heisman contender by time his Junior Year comes around. Especially if we put him at KR too. He'd be a Quadruple Threat like Christian McAffrey.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that he will be a player who will have more touches as you face better defenses. He has the ability to really stretch the defense from sideline to sideline.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I think that he will be a player who will have more touches as you face better defenses. He has the ability to really stretch the defense from sideline to sideline.
Agree. I expect to see Waddle get more touches v LSU, Auburn, and whoever we play after that. He needs to stay injury free, especially for those games. He brings a lot to the return game.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
He reminds me of David Palmer. Everytime #2 touched the ball you knew it could be a touchdown.
That`s who he`s reminded me of as well. Getting the ball to him from the line of scrimmage, IMO, is likely to be where he contributes the most long term, maybe not the return game ( as hard as that is to imagine ). Why? Because he`s terrible when it comes to blocking for him on a return. He`s a block-in -the-back waiting to happen. He`s almost too shifty, if that`s possible. Having said all that, will he continue to return kicks? Yep. Should he? Yep. I`d take the chance every time I could to get the ball in his hands ;) !

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.