Link: Tebow Calls Out Our Student Section

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Time to revoke the student tickets, give them to fans who go to all games and stay until the end of all games and who cheer. They have become spoiled, do away with their tickets and sell them to the public. I know many who can no longer afford tickets. Time to sell those tickets to the public at a reduced cost. Problem solved, real fans will always fill the stadium.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
As a Florida alum, Tebow has no business commenting on this topic. As a sports contributor, it's certainly within his wheelhouse to comment. I have no problems with what he said.....Show up!

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Tim Tebow is a paid media personality, so I'd say he definitely has a place to comment on this phenomenon.

Two things here that simply cannot be ignored:

- Increase in out of state students who do not acclimate to UA football culture the way homegrown students do
- TV affecting game times and length. When I was a student we might have had one cupcake game during the day (MSU in 02, USF in 03) - otherwise they were PPV only, and at night. Much more comfortable and games were much shorter.

Find a way to make it easier for students to convert tickets again. I'm not driving from BHM in hopes of finding cheap tickets to a blowout, but if I were in Tuscaloosa, I might drive over to campus and hope for the best. Find a way to entice local folks - who don't have to incur the costs of gas and meals - to pick up the slack when demand falls due to weather, opponent, etc.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I wonder if Tebow has had an opinion on Jalen insisting on playing quarterback and not considering any other position.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Regarding the length of games, our home games have lasted 3:26, 3:23, and 2:55. Considering the points we put up, that is not actually too bad. A game should take about 3 hours to play. The UGA - Vandy game last night took 3 hours to play 3 quarters.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Tebo made a valid point, but he was out of place saying it.
If he wants to enter a SEC conversation,
he should talk about Florida.

I'm not a Tebow fan, I usually don't listen to him.
Did I mention that Tebow needs to get a 'Big Boy Haircut'.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I was at Bama a long time ago ('86-90 and 94-96). Do they still have block seating in the student section? If so, they should get rid of that and just open it to the whole student body. A lot of the organizations who had seating blocks would leave games early to go to whatever social (party) events they had planned. It may be different now, I don't know.

As to the point about quality of opponents, do any of you know if UA has been trying to line up big time home-and-homes but been unable to find any takers? I seem to recall series against Michigan State and maybe Wisconsin getting cancelled for whatever reasons.

I do know that when I was there we could only dream of the success they're having now. Amazing to think they're having trouble keeping a much larger student base engaged with the program....

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I was at Bama a long time ago ('86-90 and 94-96). Do they still have block seating in the student section? If so, they should get rid of that and just open it to the whole student body. A lot of the organizations who had seating blocks would leave games early to go to whatever social (party) events they had planned. It may be different now, I don't know.

As to the point about quality of opponents, do any of you know if UA has been trying to line up big time home-and-homes but been unable to find any takers? I seem to recall series against Michigan State and maybe Wisconsin getting cancelled for whatever reasons.

I do know that when I was there we could only dream of the success they're having now. Amazing to think they're having trouble keeping a much larger student base engaged with the program....
I think part of it is typical human nature to take things for granted. It's like spoiled people who get everything they want. Instead of appreciating what they have, what do they do? They just want more. I'm going to appreciate what we have and enjoy every minute of it.

B1GMark

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 10, 2018
I get these student-athletes bust their tail to be great football players but more of them are doing it make it to the NFL than to impress their classmates in their English class. I have no problem with calling out the student section for enthusiasm but think it goes over the top for Saban/Tebow to say they owe it to the players to stay to the end of blowouts and tv timeouts after each series. And Tebow should address the country, not Alabama. Students leave early at every blowout game, not just exclusive to Bama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.