Link: Tebow Calls Out Our Student Section

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well I was just about to put it in the other thread, heh.

On one hand you can argue he's just a pundit trying to stir the pot, but... I think he's also echoing a viewpoint some players are going to have. They are busting their butts and they want the fans to have their backs.

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
Tebow is exactly right. One more thing, if these student "fans" had been around in the late 90's through 2006 they'd be clapping their hands so much they would have blisters.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have stayed out of this discussion; while I would love to see the student section full for the entire game, it is their decision to make. What I object to is Tebow interjecting his opinion about the Alabama students, leave it alone Tebow, take that attitude and opinion to Gainesville. I respect Tebow but, am growing weary of his presence on sports programs with his rah rah persona.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Normally I would think that Tebow has no place in this discussion, but I think that Saban would appreciate his voice of support here.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Tebow may not be a Bama alumni and player but he exemplifies everything you want as a coach and teammate in a player on your team. He does not wear his orange and blue on his sleeve like so many others players do. He comes across as a genuine person who is always trying to make those around him better. That includes fans of opposing schools. People should stop taking what he says so personally and start listening to what comes out this young man’s mouth. Because its rare to ever hear him say anything that is truely negative and not done in a way to rasie up others.

Had he gone to Bama, everyone here would be talking about how he is the great spokesperson a school could ever ask for. He is human and has flaws. He makes mistakes and sins like the rest of us. But Tebow is what every man and woman would hope their kids grow up to be and confuct themselves as he does while respecting everyone around him.

Off my soap box. But anytime I hear or see someone saying something negative about this young man its nothing but pure jealousy and ignorance imo.

I would fallow that young man to war anyday.

Roll Tide.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The only thing I don’t like about Saban’s comments, and now other media’s comments, is this is coming after Louisiana. If this had been an SEC game then I’d understand more but, it’s Louisiana. If the schools wants more interest to be shown, schedule more interesting games.

As a fan, I’m sick and tired of of these cupcake games. I missed most of the 3rd quarter because I took my daughter to the store. These games are boring and a waste of time.

I’m also tired of these little schools living off the big schools’ dime. If they can’t afford football without a beat down from Bama then maybe they shouldn’t have football.

I don’t blame anyone for missing a glorified scrimmage.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If the schools wants more interest to be shown, schedule more interesting games.
That's misdirection though, did you listen to the Vinnie clip?

He specifically mentions an Ole Miss game. The truth is one reason Saban made this comments was to try to avoid a ghost town for future games. I've cited it before, but even the 2012 Auburn game was never a full stadium and the upper deck was mostly empty by the end of the game. For Auburn!

The simple fact is that Alabama can turn any game into a glorified scrimmage, that's a result of their hard work and effort. Was Alabama football really that more entertaining when Dubose and Shula were coaching? Some fans seem to prefer that, you got all the close games you could handle.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
The only thing I don’t like about Saban’s comments, and now other media’s comments, is this is coming after Louisiana. If this had been an SEC game then I’d understand more but, it’s Louisiana. If the schools wants more interest to be shown, schedule more interesting games.

As a fan, I’m sick and tired of of these cupcake games. I missed most of the 3rd quarter because I took my daughter to the store. These games are boring and a waste of time.

I’m also tired of these little schools living off the big schools’ dime. If they can’t afford football without a beat down from Bama then maybe they shouldn’t have football.

I don’t blame anyone for missing a glorified scrimmage.
In addition, these are 11am kickoffs, meaning the students have to begin arriving into the stadium at 9am to take seats. Then we have just shut the offense down at halftime. You have got to be pretty dedicated to get up that early for a game you know is going to be a mud stomping, sit in the heat of the day, and watch the 3rd string offense run 25 runs up the middle for the last 2hrs of the game.

For the record I went to every home game for the entire game as a student and I think the student showing has been weak. But our home games so far have been Arkansas State (11am), aTm, and Louisiana-Lafeyette (11am). Hardly riveting stuff. And the student section for the aTm game was more full than the general admission sections next to it, from what I saw. When we start playing real teams after breakfast, I expect the students to fill the seats and be loud and obnoxious.

Last edited:

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Feeling like an old timer here..............but when I was a student, we had to drive to Birmingham for 3 games per year and yes, there were a few 11 am games. I can only imagine the lack of a student crowd if they actually had to drive an hour. I remember leaving Tuscaloosa at 7 am to get over there. I missed going to only 1 game in Birmingham when I was a student. Never missed a Tuscaloosa game.

If you love Alabama football, you'll find a way to be there and the opponent doesn't matter.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Maybe if we played these so called “cupcakes” games closer like say Va Tech did with Old Dominion more people would come out. I may be in the minority but I watch every single play no
matter who the opponent and enjoy watching the future players get reps. They were told when they came here they would receive tons of support and cheers from the fans. Problem is when the 2nd and 3rd string guys get to go in they look up and no one is around. It’s not fair to them and to the whole team for working their tails off all off season and week and have fans that say you just aren’t playing a good enough opponent for me to have interest. Like I said I may be in the minority but I’ll watch 3rd string Bama football over in other team playing. Roll Tide Roll Baby!

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Old Timer here as well. I was at UA from 1973-1975 and I never missed a home game except for the Auburn game in 1974.. I got married the next day. I got there early to watch Bear lean on the goal post and stayed till the end. But I watch all of every game.... on TV. I think the biggest issue is getting the student tickets when you don't plan to go. I think with the student tickets being rationed out, some students that don't have tickets would go. I think that was one of Saban's issues, students not showing up in the first place. Back in the day, you got your basketball tickets the week of the game so if you weren't going you wouldn't pick one up. I'm sure with so many more students the procedures have changed.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Tebow may not be a Bama alumni and player but he exemplifies everything you want as a coach and teammate in a player on your team. He does not wear his orange and blue on his sleeve like so many others players do. He comes across as a genuine person who is always trying to make those around him better. That includes fans of opposing schools. People should stop taking what he says so personally and start listening to what comes out this young man’s mouth. Because its rare to ever hear him say anything that is truely negative and not done in a way to rasie up others.

Had he gone to Bama, everyone here would be talking about how he is the great spokesperson a school could ever ask for. He is human and has flaws. He makes mistakes and sins like the rest of us. But Tebow is what every man and woman would hope their kids grow up to be and confuct themselves as he does while respecting everyone around him.

Off my soap box. But anytime I hear or see someone saying something negative about this young man its nothing but pure jealousy and ignorance imo.

I would fallow that young man to war anyday.

Roll Tide.
I love the kid too class act. In a way Im glad he did not come to my bleoved university in Tuscaloosa at that time in our history. It may have been a waste of talent in a place where he may or may not have made a difference.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I love the kid too class act. In a way Im glad he did not come to my bleoved university in Tuscaloosa at that time in our history. It may have been a waste of talent in a place where he may or may not have made a difference.
He was around in 2008 and 2009. We had JPW and Gmac....I'm think Tebow would have been a very nice addition. But its water under the bridge. Hes a good guy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
He was around in 2008 and 2009. We had JPW and Gmac....I'm think Tebow would have been a very nice addition. But its water under the bridge. Hes a good guy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I think if Shula had signed Tebow, he would have survived another year and we would not have gotten Saban. So I am glad Tebow didn't come to UA.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.