Vacation ideas for graduation

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
So I’ll be graduating from nursing school in May, and my mother wants us to go on a trip. I told her Bora Bora but that is extremely expensive. I was half joking about going to bora bora. I am now thinking somewhere on this side of the world like the Caribbean, etc.

What beaches have you visited? What areas do you like or would you suggest for two women traveling together? Of course, safety is our number one concern since we’ll be alone. Also, somewhere that is peaceful and not terribly crowded.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
So I’ll be graduating from nursing school in May, and my mother wants us to go on a trip. I told her Bora Bora but that is extremely expensive. I was half joking about going to bora bora. I am now thinking somewhere on this side of the world like the Caribbean, etc.

What beaches have you visited? What areas do you like or would you suggest for two women traveling together? Of course, safety is our number one concern since we’ll be alone. Also, somewhere that is peaceful and not terribly crowded.
Maui, but it is expensive.
Amalfi Coast or Capri in Italy but again expensive.
Tybee Island was nice.
Hilton Head, SC was better.
I think the beaches at Destin are the best. Navarre might be a cheaper option and pretty nice as well.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I love Destin but it is getting really crowded. We have been going to Mexico beach the last couple years, but the water isn’t as pretty. We’ve been to the Virgin Islands on a cruise before, and the water is beautiful. Might be fun to stay for an entire week, but again I worry about safety.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hey Jessica....have you ever been to California?

If not, that would be an option for you and your Mom to consider.

In particular, the entire coastal area is very picturesque...and there's plenty of places to visit and stay. Last time I was there I stayed at a regular motel in Carmel and it was very reasonable, but there are also many other inn/resort type places if that's more to your liking.

A few places worth looking into are the Reagan Library (located in Simi Valley), Morro Bay, and Big Sur.

The Ventura area is also a cool place to hang out.

Further south there's Huntington Beach and Newport Beach and even further south is San Diego.

Fly into LA and rent an SUV for a week.

Highway One view of the Pacific on the way to Carmel.....

View from the Reagan Library:

Lot of interesting places to see........good luck!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Adding to my post above.....going north from LA through Ventura, Santa Barbara, Morro Bay/SLO, Big Sur, and Carmel....then there's Monterey Bay with much to see not the least of which is the Aquarium. They also have whale watching which is pretty cool. Then if interested you can keep driving north into the San Francisco Bay area - including the beautiful Golden Gate Bridge.

Lots of great Mexican food places in Cal and of course there's In and Out!

Here's are links to Ventura, Big Sur, Morro Bay, Carmel, Monterey Bay, the Aquarium, and the San Francisco Bay areas.

Congrats on your forthcoming graduation and a new career awaiting you, Jessica!!! Hope you and your Mom enjoy your excursion, wherever it ends up!

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Cow Wreck Beach on Anegada in the BVI might fit the bill. It may be too deserted for you though. White Bay, Jost Van Dyke, BVI is another great beach.

Are you wanting to do a bunch of exploring or mainly enjoy a peaceful beach experience?

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Gulf Shores/Orange Beach are really nice. Its not too far from home and its not too crowded. My wife and I took my parents there this past summer. Loved it!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Cow Wreck Beach on Anegada in the BVI might fit the bill. It may be too deserted for you though. White Bay, Jost Van Dyke, BVI is another great beach.

Are you wanting to do a bunch of exploring or mainly enjoy a peaceful beach experience?
I've always wanted to go to Anegada and Jost. Done Tortola and Gorda and loved Gorda

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I've always wanted to go to Anegada and Jost. Done Tortola and Gorda and loved Gorda
Since my BVI trips have been by sailboat, I'm torn on recommending them. I don't know if someone would enjoy a whole week at Anegada or not. It would depend on what they wanted out of the trip. I regret staying aboard while some of the others went to Cow Wreck this past May. They had the beach to themselves. The crowds post Irma are dramatically down.

To Jessica, go to IG and search on Anegada Beach Club and also #anegada

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Travel to the BVI isn't cheap. Lately, airfare is about 2x or more what it typically runs. It'll come down. If flying somewhere isn't what you have in mind, then I would look at some east coast beaches. Yes, they're not as pretty as the Gulf, but the crowds are dramatically different. I've been to Fernandina and St. Augustine in the last few years. I would recommend them both. At Fernandina, you would have a beach umbrella maybe every 20 yards. St. Augustine was a little more crowded. Lodging is much cheaper too. Restaurants and things to do are close. You don't have the long waits at restaurants like you do at the Gulf either. I've really become a fan.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I love Destin but it is getting really crowded. We have been going to Mexico beach the last couple years, but the water isn’t as pretty. We’ve been to the Virgin Islands on a cruise before, and the water is beautiful. Might be fun to stay for an entire week, but again I worry about safety.
If not BVI, then St. John. Most of the island is a National Park. You can find houses for rent on vrbo and airbnb. I don't think safety is any different than on the mainland. The advantage of USVI over BVI is you don't need a passport. You fly into STT and take a ferry to either St John or the British side. Lots of the island and place names in Kenny Chesney music comes from St. John and Jost Van Dyke.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

Just a peaceful beach is what we’d want. My mom is disabled so she can’t do a lot of exploring. Now I can, but probably not something I’d want to do alone.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Just a peaceful beach is what we’d want. My mom is disabled so she can’t do a lot of exploring. Now I can, but probably not something I’d want to do alone.
From a mobility standpoint, St John might be a better choice than the BVI options. Look at Maho Bay, Cinnamon Bay, Caneel Bay, or really any of the bays on the north shore of St. John. You can browse on google maps and the different hotel names will be visible.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Anywhere from Gulf Shores, east around Florida and up the East Coast are beautiful sand beaches but crowded.
Really nice beach in Carlsbad, Ca that didn’t seem that crowded.
Costa Rica is nice - beaches are lighter in the north, darker sand in the south (Pacific side).
Only been to Great Inagua but I’d think any island from Bahamas to Trinidad/Tobago would work, if affordable (a few of them aren’t for most people).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Curious if anyone has ever been to Isla Mujeres, Mexico? Still trying to decide where to go in May, and we have a local couple here that owns and rents a house there. Looks like a nice place to visit. I know you have to take a ferry from Cancun over to the island.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
We really enjoyed Bermuda. Beautiful beaches, lots of historical sightseeing, night life, great food, and shopping. You can tour nearly the entire island on a scooter, but be careful on the round - abouts.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.