New kicking idea...

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I can't wait until the day comes when there's a kicker who can nail 100-yard field goals.

"Okay, it's 4th and 37 and we're on our own 1-yard line. Oh, well. We'll just have to settle for three points."

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, Alabama has figured out a way to avoid the punting issues.

They just haven't punted the past two games.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I saw several teams with walk-on, transfers and freshmen kickers nail 40+ fgs. A couple nailed 50+. I guess I should be happy with what we have and not complain. I griped about the QB not being able to pass and now I have my wish -- except defense seems to be an after thought now and even Coach did not seem to be upset with giving up 30+. I thought he would be livid on the sideline but he seemed to just except the new style. It was OK though because I was livid enough for both of us. I do like the idea of going for two on each PAT. Also wouldn't mind either punting or going for it on 4th down.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
When you get held repeatedly and called for interference 50% of the time, your D is bound to suffer a bit

But who has a better D than us right now? Clemson? LSU? UGA?

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
He may have accepted the fact that we are not really good on D any longer. I think what got him so upset in the past was knowing we could have done better.
Oh, I think he was upset, but also a part of him was happy that it gave him something to work on and get after the team this week. Obvious motivation for the next game with Missouri's offense coming in.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Coach tends to get upset when we play well; but builds them up when they struggle a bit.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
It's been put forth as a mathematical theory for years. This may be the year to test it...
The problem with that mathematical theory is that it's based upon limited data; few, if any, teams go for it on fourth down anywhere near as often as that theory suggests it should be done.

Sure, if teams tend to be as successful going for it on fourth down averaging going for it 10 times a game as they do when going for it 1.5 times per game then, of course, it's a great idea. However, if the success rate drops from ≈40%-50% to around 10% then it's a horrible idea.

Whichever FBS coach - if there ever is one - that decides to employ and test this theory - regardless of the outcome - should immediately receive a massive-cajones-of-steel trophy.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The problem with that mathematical theory is that it's based upon limited data; few, if any, teams go for it on fourth down anywhere near as often as that theory suggests it should be done.

Sure, if teams tend to be as successful going for it on fourth down averaging going for it 10 times a game as they do when going for it 1.5 times per game then, of course, it's a great idea. However, if the success rate drops from ≈40%-50% to around 10% then it's a horrible idea.

Whichever FBS coach - if there ever is one - that decides to employ and test this theory - regardless of the outcome - should immediately receive a massive-cajones-of-steel trophy.
There is (or was) a HS team in Texas that did this. They punted only if backed up in their own end, and then only if the distance was more than a specific maximum.

The interesting thing to me is that, if you know you’re going on 4th (barring a disaster on 3rd), it changes your outlook on the 3rd down play. As in 3rd and 5-7 is no longer necessarily a passing down.

The Philadelphia Eagles have a watered-down version, and it works in an environment where 2-3 losses don’t disqualify you from the playoff. Not sure of applicability in FBS.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Bulovas is a Redshirt Freshman so I think inexperience is part of the woes. I'm not happy, but that could be a cause.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I think we have the best kickers in the game, don't y'all know how hard it is to hit an upright? And we've done it three, four, maybe five times now, our guys are just showing out. ;)

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I think we have the best kickers in the game, don't y'all know how hard it is to hit an upright? And we've done it three, four, maybe five times now, our guys are just showing out. ;)
Other teams hit 50 yarders and game winners. Bama kickers hit..........the uprights. :cool:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.