JessN: Arkansas wrap-up: Bama wins big, but leaves for home with lots to fix

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Thanks for pointing out what many are ignoring and trying making excuses for. Honesty is the best policy.
I do see our Middle Linebackers as playing poorly. They failed to make tackles, failed to stop the QB from running/passing. Arkansas was a bad team, yet we allowed them to score 31 points.

Our Kicking problem is 6 weeks old. What does it take to improve that vital portion of our Offense? IMO: Missing PATS that aren't blocked is inexcusable.
We miss enough FG to make me wonder why we aren't going for it on 4th downs.

Lastly... Did our coaches attempt to make any changes during Halftime?
I hope like hell our game plan isn't just to let TUA outscore the other teams,
and sit on a lead trying to run out the clock...
It might work, but why hasn't our Defence got their heads in the game?
Did out coaches and players take Arkansas that lightly?
Has out Defense regressed?
Our Defense needs a lot of work before we play the likes of LSU,
Auburn, or if we are lucky, Georgia.
IMO: Our Defensive coaches have to get off their butts, and get to work. Sorry for the rant.
I know I should feel better after a 34 point win, but my concerns run deep.

Last edited:

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Weren’t the last 2 TDs given up by the 3rd string guys? It’s not like we are going to play those guys in a somewhat close game so, I’m not sure what all the worrying is about. After watching LSU, State and AU yesterday, none of those offenses worry me and none of them have the defense to completely slow down our offense. At this point, outside of a poor performance, I don’t see any regular season game that will be within 2 TDs entering the 4th. Does the defense have some things to fix, yes, especially when the 3rd string is in but, it’s not like we have a bad defense. And a good enough defense is probably all we need this year.
Last touchdown came against mostly reserves (although the DL were the same 1s/2s rotational players Ray, Mathis and Dwight as work with the starters). The one before it may have had one or two 2s/3s guys in but not enough to matter.

Notice how I listed those: "1s/2s" and "2s/3s." Except for the backup ILBs and the last two guys in the secondary, there is no "third team" on this defense. The DL rotates seven guys regularly, and those are the only seven that play. Jamey Mosley is the only reserve SLB that plays, and he plays during go-time and also in blowouts.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Thanks for the effort, but the doom and gloom after a single poor game is puzzling. Literally every fan in America would love to have your problems.
I guess I'm going to have to get you guys to tell me how I address shortcomings after a win. First of all, "doom and gloom" is an exaggeration on your part. However, if all I'm supposed to say after wins is "scoreboard," I don't think I'm doing you (or myself) a proper service.

Watching OU right now, even though they lost to Texas, gives me indigestion. Georgia was lucky to get past them last year and I wouldn't relish playing them right now the way the defense is playing. Now, OU would have no answer for Tua, but when you rely on offense to win games for you in Power 5 college football, you better darn well not have a Jeff-Rutledge-vs.-Nebraska day when the QB is off by a tad and throws 5 interceptions (his only 5 of the year, at that) or Tua gets hurt or it rains like it did in Columbia, S.C., this past Saturday or some other kind of horror show. A good defense is almost always the safer bet. The silver lining here is that Saban says the errors were correctable.

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
I agree some things need fixing....but I feel pretty good knowing Coach Nick Saban is our chief mechanic. :)

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I guess I'm going to have to get you guys to tell me how I address shortcomings after a win. First of all, "doom and gloom" is an exaggeration on your part. However, if all I'm supposed to say after wins is "scoreboard," I don't think I'm doing you (or myself) a proper service.

Watching OU right now, even though they lost to Texas, gives me indigestion. Georgia was lucky to get past them last year and I wouldn't relish playing them right now the way the defense is playing. Now, OU would have no answer for Tua, but when you rely on offense to win games for you in Power 5 college football, you better darn well not have a Jeff-Rutledge-vs.-Nebraska day when the QB is off by a tad and throws 5 interceptions (his only 5 of the year, at that) or Tua gets hurt or it rains like it did in Columbia, S.C., this past Saturday or some other kind of horror show. A good defense is almost always the safer bet. The silver lining here is that Saban says the errors were correctable.
Lets not forget - Chad Morris was an OC, and a pretty danged good one. So it took the hogs a while to pick up his system (they did outgain the Barn), and CNS warned about this being a trap game. Arkansas was never really “in” the game because they’re just not talented enough.
If Mizzou scores 31, I’d start to worry - I haven’t double checked but I read Locke hasn’t thrown a TD pass in the last two games. Bama has work to do, granted, but they’ve got enough skill players to get it done, barring any injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The silver lining here is that Saban says the errors were correctable.
That is really the story right now - not the poor play in one game, and not a sense of dread over what might happen if Saban cannot get it fixed. The reality is probably a simple one - Saban will get most of the problems fixed, but not all of them. Alabama's defense will not be 2016 or 2011 great, but will still be one of the top 5-10 defenses in the country. Given what you lost to the NFL, that is remarkable.

Keep Tua healthy and you win it all. Lose Tua and the other teams have a chance.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
I blame the defensive issue somewhat on Tua. Our TOP is horrible. Simply because we are scoring so quickly. We have little depth and they are back on the field in just minutes, sometimes in seconds.

I guess my point is. With this O, the D is going to get gassed quickly.
+5.1

IMO, hard to coach up the D when they are on the sidelines for only 2-3 minutes...

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Lets not forget - Chad Morris was an OC, and a pretty danged good one. So it took the hogs a while to pick up his system (they did outgain the Barn), and CNS warned about this being a trap game. Arkansas was never really “in” the game because they’re just not talented enough.
If Mizzou scores 31, I’d start to worry - I haven’t double checked but I read Locke hasn’t thrown a TD pass in the last two games. Bama has work to do, granted, but they’ve got enough skill players to get it done, barring any injuries.

Not surprising he didn't throw a TD pass the last game...did you see the rain coming in 55-gal drums...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Not surprising he didn't throw a TD pass the last game...did you see the rain coming in 55-gal drums...
Both teams played in the same weather, as posted by others. Scarnecchia (sp) who is the backup QB for SC threw for three td’s.
Passing involves two people; both have to perform for it to be successful. If one doesn’t (and it matters not if the pass is two feet too high or it bounces off the receivers hands), the play is either wasted or possibly an interception. Missouri, despite Locke’s abilities (and I have yet to see anyone on here disparage those) is not doing great in the passing game.
I don’t see them putting up 300 yds + passing against Bama, unless he throws it 60 times. I do see their hurry up offense possibly causing problems with alignments and players being where they need to be.
If Mizzou doesn’t stack the box, Bama might get 300+ yds on the ground. If they do, Bama scores 60+ points again.
But knowing you have a weak secondary (currently 116th ranked pass defense), it doesn’t make a lot of sense to put them under the gun against Bama’s passing attack.
I guess it’s a “pick your poison” situation, and I like it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's been poo poo'd every time it has been suggested, but I really thought the Arkansas QB looked like a good talent. It's not like he looked like a scrub player getting lucky out there. I know what Arkansas's record was going into the game, I know North Texas punked them, but from what I saw they have some nice pieces to build on going forward.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's been poo poo'd every time it has been suggested, but I really thought the Arkansas QB looked like a good talent. It's not like he looked like a scrub player getting lucky out there. I know what Arkansas's record was going into the game, I know North Texas punked them, but from what I saw they have some nice pieces to build on going forward.
They played well in that game, and that is not because Alabama played poorly. Most teams, given the same opportunities, would not have had nearly the success that they had in that game. Maybe they played over their heads, or maybe they really have some talent at the positions leveraged in that game. But no team is going to perform better than they did in those situations. They were nearly flawless in their execution when Alabama was out of position.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.