Tropical Storm Michael strengthening, to hit Florida Gulf Coast by mid-week

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Rather than shock and awe ("GET OUT NOW!") would rather see.....

Comprehensive primer/workshops on how to manage:

• Generator
  • Property & vehicles
  • Pets and livestock
  • Communications
  • Infrastructure (home, business, storage, etc.)
  • Medical situations
  • Insurance and FEMA assistance
  • Provisions management
  • Shelter infomation
  • Fuel availability info

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Hope everyone stays safe, I can see this monster going anywhere from Pensacola to Apalachicola.
This one kind of snuck up on us, don't know if it's just fatigue or complacently, but it really wasn't even on my radar till yesterday. And I live in Mobile :/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Rather than shock and awe ("GET OUT NOW!") would rather see.....

Comprehensive primer/workshops on how to manage:

• Generator
  • Property & vehicles
  • Pets and livestock
  • Communications
  • Infrastructure (home, business, storage, etc.)
  • Medical situations
  • Insurance and FEMA assistance
  • Provisions management
  • Shelter infomation
  • Fuel availability info
link

link

like with many things, there is tons of info available. convincing folks to prepare for possible future natural disasters is the tough part, humans are stubborn and tend to think that bad things aren't going to happen to them.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Hope everyone stays safe, I can see this monster going anywhere from Pensacola to Apalachicola.
This one kind of snuck up on us, don't know if it's just fatigue or complacently, but it really wasn't even on my radar till yesterday. And I live in Mobile :/

Well, the wind is blowin' harder now Fifty knots of there abouts, There's white caps on the ocean. And I'm watching for water spouts It's time to close the shutters It's time to go inside.
You should be OK where you are - but please keep us posted as appropriate!

Hurricane season isn't over until the end of November...being in Florida, I'm ever watchful.......

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
And living in Florida for years, and former emergency management- I tend to get obsessed with these. But this one I just ignored. Good thing I'm not 200 miles west!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
link

link

like with many things, there is tons of info available. convincing folks to prepare for possible future natural disasters is the tough part, humans are stubborn and tend to think that bad things aren't going to happen to them.
Thanks and sure...there's information "out there"...but I don't see any of it mentioned in the live TV coverage.

I agree that we are always up against human nature - which is why I'm advocating for as much education as possible.....but....would prefer videos or actual demonstrations on live television than just the links you provided, just because when you watch someone doing something it's usually more entertaining as well as informative - and so a win-win for those looking for more details on ways to better manage storm situations.

Remember in grade school when the AV person rolled the projector into the classroom and you knew you were going to watch a movie? Or when you made plans to visit the local theater to watch the latest Marvel Avengers movie? That's what I would like to see....enthusiasm and - make it fun.

Here's an example of one that IMHO isn't all that great, but at least it is more entertaining than something on paper:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Thanks and sure...there's information "out there"...but I don't see any of it mentioned in the live TV coverage.

I agree that we are always up against human nature - which is why I'm advocating for as much education as possible.....but....would prefer videos or actual demonstrations on live television than just the links you provided, just because when you watch someone doing something it's usually more entertaining as well as informative - and so a win-win for those looking for more details on ways to better manage storm situations.

Remember in grade school when the AV person rolled the projector into the classroom and you knew you were going to watch a movie? Or when you made plans to visit the local theater to watch the latest Marvel Avengers movie? That's what I would like to see....enthusiasm and - make it fun.

Here's an example of one that IMHO isn't all that great, but at least it is more entertaining than something on paper:

there is no money in public service announcements.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Tropical storm warning not as far north as Athens-Clarke Co. but I live on the southeast side of the county, almost bordering Oglethorpe County, so it's really just a couple of miles from me. For now, a state of Emergency, and a tornado watch.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/[LEFT][COLOR=#14171A][FONT="Segoe UI"]https://twitter.com/GovernorDeal/status/1050077280339456000[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

https://twitter.com/abc/status/[LEFT][COLOR=#14171A][FONT="Segoe UI"]https://twitter.com/NWSAtlanta/status/1050102640586227713[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

So far, Clarke County schools and UGA still operational tomorrow.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.