Question: When was the moment you realized that Tua was something special?

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Know for certain? His first A-Day game. Have a strong suspicion? I followed him a bit once he announced to Bama, and especially during the Elite 11. As good as he was athletically, what most impressed me was his natural leadership skills. Every time I saw a photo or video of him around other players, all the kids naturally gravitated to Tua. That skill-set alone doesn't make a great QB, but you can't be a great QB without having it. And Tua has "IT".

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
A-Day 2017 got my attention that he was Special.

The Vandy game's Spin/Throw was the 1st WOW moment where I was 100% certain he was going to be something we've never seen.

The Tennessee game's Rollout Dime through a 6-inch Window to Ruggs III was the 2nd WOW moment and had me wondering why he wasn't playing more/pushing for the starting job.

The entire CFPNCG cemented what most of us thought his potential could be.... scratch that he exceeded expectations in that moment.

But even after all that this year he has blown me away. I KNEW he was going to be Great/Special.... by my goodness he has been off the charts exceptional.

He's the best College QB I've ever seen in 35+ years. He is 100% Peerless.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
First game this year, The TD in title game was awesome, but to see him come out and not let up one bit told me this kid is for real. NC game was a flash, but now we see it is just the way he is wound up. This kid is special, I cannot believe we are the lucky ones who landed him. This will be the start of great QB's wanting to come to Bama. This shows QB's we will throw the ball.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
The Vandy game I thought, this kid is pretty good, but it’s Vandy. And stuff like that spin pass is a pick against better teams.

When he came in for the Tennessee game I was convinced he was a better QB than Hurts. Even with the pick 6 I thought he outplayed Jalen significantly, but figured maybe he just didn’t grasp the offense as well or something and that was keeping him off the field.

The NC game is probably when I decided he was more than just a really good QB. To come in cold off the bench and lead a comeback with an offense that could hardly make a first down in the first half was amazing, and where I decided he was probably a generational player. And he hasn’t let up yet this year.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Quickest release that I've ever seen in a Bama QB.
That's what I saw from him very early.
Then his field awareness was just uncanny. Combined with his confidence that only comes from knowing you have superior skills, makes him practically unstoppable.

nickcut

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 3, 2015
A-day game... his placement of the ball and touch was unbelievable. But you just don't know if his play that day was a fluke or not. He had a pass to someone, I think maybe Jeudy, where it was a soft lob compared to darts he was throwing earlier, but it was just spot on, the perfect touch needed at that time. That's when I thought, damn, this guy could be REALLY good.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I just rewatched the 2017 A-Day game (https://youtu.be/5Cl-BmH9SUI). Tua made plenty of really nice but looked inaccurate on lots of throws, too. He looked raw, which was not unexpected given that he should have been preparing for prom instead of playing college football. I don’t remember being blown away at the time.

My answer to the OP is probably the Vandy game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The Vandy game I thought, this kid is pretty good, but it’s Vandy. And stuff like that spin pass is a pick against better teams.

When he came in for the Tennessee game I was convinced he was a better QB than Hurts. Even with the pick 6 I thought he outplayed Jalen significantly, but figured maybe he just didn’t grasp the offense as well or something and that was keeping him off the field.

The NC game is probably when I decided he was more than just a really good QB. To come in cold off the bench and lead a comeback with an offense that could hardly make a first down in the first half was amazing, and where I decided he was probably a generational player. And he hasn’t let up yet this year.
I have to agree with this post. It was the NCG. The Vandy pass did have a lot of luck with it. If you look at it closely, their corner actually makes a false move back towards the goal line, leaving the receiver open in the back corner of the EZ. Otherwise, it might have been broken up or picked.

At this point, I put him on a plane with Namath, whom I watched every week and actually played golf with offseason. Joe never had the wealth of talent at receiver that Tua has. I would have loved to see him take advantage of them, if he had. People unfortunately remember Joe when he was older and crippled. Younger, he was one of the most natural athletes I've ever seen and gave "wow" moments every week. Namath, Brees and Tua have the quickest releases I've seen by quarterbacks...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The 3rd and 8 conversion in the NCG where he was flushed right, reversed field, slipped a tackle, picked up blocks from Scarbrough and an OL (Leatherwood?), then lowered his shoulder for the final 3-4 feet.

I really believe that was the play where he won the team. It was definitely the play where he won me.

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
When he stared to the right, the whole field followed his eyes, and when he threw the ball it went to the left for a national championship. Never saw a better play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.