Question: When was the moment you realized that Tua was something special?

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Still wish he would have come in for the second half against the barn. Would have been priceless to watch them deflate.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Methinks you doth protest too much...Selma was speaking tongue in cheek -- he should have used blue font.
So which is it - do I protest too much or should he have used blue font?

Sorry, I'm no padre but even in jest this is over the line for me.

Y'all continue however you wish within TF.com policies.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
He was looking good in the Vandy game. But I was thinking, well, it's Vandy. When he continued to look good vs the viles, that's when I really started to believe we had someone special.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
His first pass his first A-Day the arm talent was obvious. While some plays during the season indicated he could be quite special, it wasn't until he brought the team back from 2 scores down to win that it became obvious he already was something special.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
He spin against vandy was my first inclination, but the throw to ruggs against UT was the moment I knew he was for real and the spin was not luck.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
I thought he looked pretty good last year in mop up duty and then the national championship game he looked so accurate and cool under fire, really good......but this season he's been truly amazing, like a real special, generational player.

Consider AJ McCarron's best season was 2012, probably the best season stat wise for a QB in Bama history up until that time.
67% completions, 9.3 yards per attempt, 30TDs, 3 INTs and a 175.3 passing efficiency rating.

Through 6 games this year, Tua has- 75.2% completions, 14.8 yards per attempt, 18TDs 0 INTs and a unheard of ridiculous 258.4 passing efficiency rating.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Vandy was the eye-opener, but the pass to Ruggs in the UT game was next-level spectacular. That's when I knew he had talents we hadn't seen at Bama in my life time.
This was me too. He makes these really hard throws look easy. Tua is talented in a lot of ways, but his field vision and seeing his receivers is really amazing!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I didn't see Tua at A Day, and to be honest with you, I never pay attention to A Day anyway. When he threw the Vandy pass, I had mixed thoughts - one of them being "wow" and the other one being, "but it's Vandy, that's the kind of thing that turns into a pick six if you're playing a good team."

And then I was watching from my seat against Tennessee and saw this....

And my immediate thought was, "Now I know why Jalen is the starter."

And then I saw this...

And my reaction ("Woooowww...") told it all.

I knew at that moment he was something special.

He shook off his failure and made up for it.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I knew that he was better than Jalen early on, but I really didn't have an appreciation for just how special he might be until the CFPNCG.
What's even more crazy to me is that I could see JALEN was better than anyone on the roster the year BEFORE he was named starter. I thought he was that much better than Jacob Coker. 2 years later, it was the same instinct that told me Tua was better, but Jalen had just led us to the national title game, where we lost, but he single-handedly nearly won that game with the late 4th quarter run.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
So can we say this is the first time the backup QB is not the best player on the team? :) But he could very well be becoming the most loved!!!

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I went to take Vandy game last year and was amazed. His accuracy was just unbelievable but I’m no coach so until the championship game I assumed he was making freshman’s mistakes in practice and that had to be why he wasn’t playing. He was the CBS MVP of the Vandy game. Anyone ever seen a qb doing mop up duty get the MVP from Gary?

I didn’t realize until the championship game how he was as good as I had hoped.

However, what he has done this year is way better than I hoped for at the end of last season. I keep waiting for the game when he’s off but so far Tua’s been A game every start.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
So can we say this is the first time the backup QB is not the best player on the team? :) But he could very well be becoming the most loved!!!
I had thought that would make a great thread topic. The qb and the backup at Bama always get attention.

Looking down the road, the fans perception about the competition between Tua's younger brother and Paul Bryant's grandson has the potential to be very interesting.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Watching his high school recruiting films.
I follow recruiting closely and while I won't say while watching his high school tape since he was playing in Hawaii but I will say when he won the Elite 11 competing against other great high school talent and toasting them. Afterwards Trent Dilfer said he was by far the most talented physically and mentally that had ever competed in the event and that is when I knew he would be special. TBH, I did not know it would be quite this special however.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.