Mike stoops out at oklahoma - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Mike stoops out at oklahoma

Could be that Mike Stoops lost his defensive players and not making the change risked losing the entire team due to a lack of confidence in what their staff was doing on defense. Because frankly, I've seen them do things on defense that looked like Kiffin daring Al Davis to fire him via playcalling.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Quote Originally Posted by Saban4Ever View Post
    If and when Oklahoma ever gets their defense fixed, they will be even more scary/difficult to beat. Their offense has always been great. I wonder who the next QB is behind Kyler Murray?
    It’s more of than when though.

BamaNation First Team BamaFanatJSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I wonder what the plan is for the Sooners right now. They are in the middle of a possible championship season. You can't change defensive philosophies at this point, so what change will actually make them better in the middle of this season?

This timing makes sense only if you have given up on the 2018 season or if he has become a clubhouse problem somehow.
    Perhaps this is indeed the mindset, not that they would say that publically, of course.

Considering that it appears that we might possibly have multiple unbeatens (one could argue that Bama [or UGA], Clemson, and ND look like virtual certainties at this point, with OSU probably a lock as well) and some more deserving one-loss teams (Bama or UGA, possibly PSU if it runs the table the rest of the way?), maybe OU is looking at the writing on the wall and figuring that this will be another year that the BIG12 doesn't get a team in the playoffs (I have no confidence in WVU).

If that's their thinking, getting rid of Stoops now gives them extra time to mitigate any potential recruiting damage (especially before the early signing period) that might occur if they let him go later. It also puts them ahead of the rest of the country in terms of plucking the best potential candidates off the coaching carousel to be their new DC.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Outlets are reporting that the decision to fire Stoops was made, not by HC Lincoln Riley, but OU president James Gallogly.

Odd...
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Outlets are reporting that the decision to fire Stoops was made, not by HC Lincoln Riley, but OU president James Gallogly.

Odd...
    Boosters getting involved.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Boosters getting involved.
    Yep. Ironically the same same thing that’s been killing Texas.

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

Could there be some non football issue that we are not aware of?
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

BamaNation First Team wishbonesooner's Avatar

The local news affiliates reported this morning that there was a heated confrontation at halftime of the Texas game, with one defensive starter talking about quitting. I'm not a fire somebody guy, but it did not look like things were getting better, in fact quite the opposite.
    Mike was a big part of OU coming back from the dead in 2000. I'm not a coach, but it was obvious he wasn't able to get things turned around.
    I have my standards, admittedly they're low, but I have standards!

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wishbonesooner View Post
    The local news affiliates reported this morning that there was a heated confrontation at halftime of the Texas game, with one defensive starter talking about quitting. I'm not a fire somebody guy, but it did not look like things were getting better, in fact quite the opposite.
    Mike was a big part of OU coming back from the dead in 2000. I'm not a coach, but it was obvious he wasn't able to get things turned around.
    Sounds like the inmates are running the asylum...or else CLR may not be experienced enough to keep a firm rein on his staff and players. It sounds to me like MS was a scape-goat...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by wishbonesooner View Post
    Now you’ve got me wondering if something happened during that rumored “halftime confrontation” that led to the OU President stepping in and making decision to send Stoops packing?

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    Sounds like the inmates are running the asylum...or else CLR may not be experienced enough to keep a firm rein on his staff and players. It sounds to me like MS was a scape-goat...
    We the president of OU just showed CLR who runs the football program. Now will the rest of the staff feel the need to go to the president if things aren't going their way?
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

IIRC Mike Stoops has had the reputation of being a volatile, hot head. Maybe his anger got the better of him in the locker room and he went over the edge.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"Get off my lawn." Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino

BamaNation Scout Team

Interim coach will be Ruffin McNeil.