Mike stoops out at oklahoma

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Now you’ve got me wondering if something happened during that rumored “halftime confrontation” that led to the OU President stepping in and making decision to send Stoops packing?
Like Texas, things are messed up when somebody lets the 'Big Hats' call the shots.
When the money guys begin playing politics and football, it want be long before one of them decides CLR should be next to go.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I wonder what the plan is for the Sooners right now. They are in the middle of a possible championship season. You can't change defensive philosophies at this point, so what change will actually make them better in the middle of this season?

This timing makes sense only if you have given up on the 2018 season or if he has become a clubhouse problem somehow.
That's what I was thinking. This seems like a team who has lost three or four games already and is ready to scrap things and start over. Frankly, it seems like something Auburn would do.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Incidentally, a rumor - and it is ONLY a rumor so far as I can tell at this point (handle with care) - is that Kelly Bryant has narrowed his choices down to two teams, Penn St and Oklahoma.

I only bring that up because with Murray gone after this year as noted, this could be interesting.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Incidentally, a rumor - and it is ONLY a rumor so far as I can tell at this point (handle with care) - is that Kelly Bryant has narrowed his choices down to two teams, Penn St and Oklahoma.

I only bring that up because with Murray gone after this year as noted, this could be interesting.
He would be a downgrade for either of those schools - major downgrade.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
University president meddling with an assistant? That's a bad look, even if it is a DC whose last name is Stoops.

Sends a message that donors are making decisions, and that opens Pandora's box.

I don't disagree that Stoops should have been gone a while back. At the end of this year, absolutely.

But now, with donors pulling Howdy Doody's strings? Jiminy Christmas, does the leadership have any idea what this says about not only the football program, but also your school?

This was a nasty rookie mistake, made by a insecure president. It could be one that exacts a toll long after Stoops is replaced. Ask UTw how that works.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
University president meddling with an assistant? That's a bad look, even if it is a DC whose last name is Stoops.

Sends a message that donors are making decisions, and that opens Pandora's box.

I don't disagree that Stoops should have been gone a while back. At the end of this year, absolutely.

But now, with donors pulling Howdy Doody's strings? Jiminy Christmas, does the leadership have any idea what this says about not only the football program, but also your school?

This was a nasty rookie mistake, made by a insecure president. It could be one that exacts a toll long after Stoops is replaced. Ask UTw how that works.
And almost zero chance this happens if Bob is still HC - not because they share a last name but because like Saban, Bob was in control of that program and had the pedigree to stand on. Riley is still so young, so new, he has nothing to fight TPTB with. It doesn't bode well for OU's future, imo.

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
If this was all about one bad performance, I'd agree with all of you. But it's not. It goes back 4 or 5 seasons, Mike was always, even back before he went to Arizona, real slow to adjust on the fly. Teams would kill us with a play over and over. It seemed to me like it was an ego thing, but I don't claim to be a coach.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's crazy because long ago, when I was still young and stupid, I thought Mike Stoops would be a great HC and Alabama should have gone after him when fRAN left. I thought, look how Bob has rebuilt Oklahoma. We get the brother and he can do the same here.

Again, I was young and stupid.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
If this was all about one bad performance, I'd agree with all of you. But it's not. It goes back 4 or 5 seasons, Mike was always, even back before he went to Arizona, real slow to adjust on the fly. Teams would kill us with a play over and over. It seemed to me like it was an ego thing, but I don't claim to be a coach.
Kinda like Gus? Keep running the same play over and over thinking it will eventually work this year because it did last year.

Keep running the same defense - eventually they will run a play that we can stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
WBS, it's not so much about the decision, but the timing and the way it came down. This is not about firing an assistant coach. It's about control of one of the most storied programs in college football history.

Stoops deserved to be gone, probably two years ago. Definitely after the loss to UGA in last year's Rose Bowl.

But he was capped literally in the middle of the season, and the executioner was not the HC (Riley), or the AD.

So who runs the program? Obviously not Riley or the AD. And the president showed either (1) a propensity for knee-jerk meddling in things about which he is not the SME, or (2) the absence of a spine stiff enough to stand up to donors for 60 stinkin' days.

Neither of those possibilities is a good model for long term success, and I hate it for a program I like a lot.

It looks a ton like last year when the aTm regent was polling the BOR as a whole to oust Sumlin after the UCLA collapse. Even if the decision is the right one, it's the wrong way to go about it.

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Sooners always lose a game or two per season that are head scratchers. Did it under Bob and still doing it without Bob.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Venables got lit up many times, switching conferences made him look a lot better.
Venables defenses do well against run-oriented & short-throw offenses, which he sees more of in the East. But even at Clemson they have not fared so well against good downfield passing teams, which he saw much more of in Big 12 but not so much at Clemson. That's what Lane Kiffin saw & exploited in CFP. That's what Spurrier's teams did to win in 2012 & 2013. That's what Pitt did in 2016 & Syracuse in 2017. TAM had success throwing downfield on Clemson this year.

Venables has been a very good DC at Clemson, but he's also been fortunate that his clemson defenses have not had to face very many of the type of offenses that he struggles to stop. Of course you could argue that a reason he runs his blitzing style is because he doesn't face many pro-style or downfield passing teams, but that's a chicken or egg argument and his failures at Oklahoma would suggest that's not the case.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Sooners always lose a game or two per season that are head scratchers. Did it under Bob and still doing it without Bob.
There is something about that game with Texas. It's very strange. Texas almost always underachieves. But somehow against Oklahoma, they are able play above their heads from time to time.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.