Mike stoops out at oklahoma - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Mike stoops out at oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    University president meddling with an assistant? That's a bad look, even if it is a DC whose last name is Stoops.

Sends a message that donors are making decisions, and that opens Pandora's box.

I don't disagree that Stoops should have been gone a while back. At the end of this year, absolutely.

But now, with donors pulling Howdy Doody's strings? Jiminy Christmas, does the leadership have any idea what this says about not only the football program, but also your school?

This was a nasty rookie mistake, made by a insecure president. It could be one that exacts a toll long after Stoops is replaced. Ask UTw how that works.
    And almost zero chance this happens if Bob is still HC - not because they share a last name but because like Saban, Bob was in control of that program and had the pedigree to stand on. Riley is still so young, so new, he has nothing to fight TPTB with. It doesn't bode well for OU's future, imo.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team wishbonesooner's Avatar

If this was all about one bad performance, I'd agree with all of you. But it's not. It goes back 4 or 5 seasons, Mike was always, even back before he went to Arizona, real slow to adjust on the fly. Teams would kill us with a play over and over. It seemed to me like it was an ego thing, but I don't claim to be a coach.
    I have my standards, admittedly they're low, but I have standards!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

It's crazy because long ago, when I was still young and stupid, I thought Mike Stoops would be a great HC and Alabama should have gone after him when fRAN left. I thought, look how Bob has rebuilt Oklahoma. We get the brother and he can do the same here.

Again, I was young and stupid.

BamaNation All-American Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Mike stoops out at oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by wishbonesooner View Post
    If this was all about one bad performance, I'd agree with all of you. But it's not. It goes back 4 or 5 seasons, Mike was always, even back before he went to Arizona, real slow to adjust on the fly. Teams would kill us with a play over and over. It seemed to me like it was an ego thing, but I don't claim to be a coach.
    Kinda like Gus? Keep running the same play over and over thinking it will eventually work this year because it did last year.

Keep running the same defense - eventually they will run a play that we can stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FB|BB Moderator

WBS, it's not so much about the decision, but the timing and the way it came down. This is not about firing an assistant coach. It's about control of one of the most storied programs in college football history.

Stoops deserved to be gone, probably two years ago. Definitely after the loss to UGA in last year's Rose Bowl.

But he was capped literally in the middle of the season, and the executioner was not the HC (Riley), or the AD.

So who runs the program? Obviously not Riley or the AD. And the president showed either (1) a propensity for knee-jerk meddling in things about which he is not the SME, or (2) the absence of a spine stiff enough to stand up to donors for 60 stinkin' days.

Neither of those possibilities is a good model for long term success, and I hate it for a program I like a lot.

It looks a ton like last year when the aTm regent was polling the BOR as a whole to oust Sumlin after the UCLA collapse. Even if the decision is the right one, it's the wrong way to go about it.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; October 9th, 2018 at 05:30 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Sooners always lose a game or two per season that are head scratchers. Did it under Bob and still doing it without Bob.

BamaNation All-SEC

Venables got lit up many times, switching conferences made him look a lot better.
    Venables defenses do well against run-oriented & short-throw offenses, which he sees more of in the East. But even at Clemson they have not fared so well against good downfield passing teams, which he saw much more of in Big 12 but not so much at Clemson. That's what Lane Kiffin saw & exploited in CFP. That's what Spurrier's teams did to win in 2012 & 2013. That's what Pitt did in 2016 & Syracuse in 2017. TAM had success throwing downfield on Clemson this year.

Venables has been a very good DC at Clemson, but he's also been fortunate that his clemson defenses have not had to face very many of the type of offenses that he struggles to stop. Of course you could argue that a reason he runs his blitzing style is because he doesn't face many pro-style or downfield passing teams, but that's a chicken or egg argument and his failures at Oklahoma would suggest that's not the case.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Loam View Post
    Sooners always lose a game or two per season that are head scratchers. Did it under Bob and still doing it without Bob.
    There is something about that game with Texas. It's very strange. Texas almost always underachieves. But somehow against Oklahoma, they are able play above their heads from time to time.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

One would think that Oklahoma might go after Peter Golding after this season. The Oklahoma board mentioned that several time.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    There is something about that game with Texas. It's very strange. Texas almost always underachieves. But somehow against Oklahoma, they are able play above their heads from time to time.
    That game, like the OSU/UM game, features a lot of upsets. But OU could get a second shot at Texas in the conference championship game. I like the Sooner's chances in a rematch.

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

I always figured that it could be a little awkward when someone assumes a HC position, but also assumes the previous HC's staff. You have to wonder if there was some Stoops friction going on there. As in, "This isn't how we USED to do it."

Usually, when a school changes HC, the head guy gets to select his own staff. The Stoops have been in Norman for the better part of 20 years, so I'd bet Lincoln Riley was wanting to make a change. But you'd think he would have done it before the season.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    I always figured that it could be a little awkward when someone assumes a HC position, but also assumes the previous HC's staff. You have to wonder if there was some Stoops friction going on there. As in, "This isn't how we USED to do it."

Usually, when a school changes HC, the head guy gets to select his own staff. The Stoops have been in Norman for the better part of 20 years, so I'd bet Lincoln Riley was wanting to make a change. But you'd think he would have done it before the season.
    That is what makes this feel wrong. Mid-season changes like this on contending teams almost never happens.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Texas is playing much better this year. The Horns struggled early But have looked really strong since saving a poor 2nd half against Kansas State. They are clearly better than the last several years worth of shorthorn teams.