Mike stoops out at oklahoma

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There is something about that game with Texas. It's very strange. Texas almost always underachieves. But somehow against Oklahoma, they are able play above their heads from time to time.
That game, like the OSU/UM game, features a lot of upsets. But OU could get a second shot at Texas in the conference championship game. I like the Sooner's chances in a rematch.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I always figured that it could be a little awkward when someone assumes a HC position, but also assumes the previous HC's staff. You have to wonder if there was some Stoops friction going on there. As in, "This isn't how we USED to do it."

Usually, when a school changes HC, the head guy gets to select his own staff. The Stoops have been in Norman for the better part of 20 years, so I'd bet Lincoln Riley was wanting to make a change. But you'd think he would have done it before the season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I always figured that it could be a little awkward when someone assumes a HC position, but also assumes the previous HC's staff. You have to wonder if there was some Stoops friction going on there. As in, "This isn't how we USED to do it."

Usually, when a school changes HC, the head guy gets to select his own staff. The Stoops have been in Norman for the better part of 20 years, so I'd bet Lincoln Riley was wanting to make a change. But you'd think he would have done it before the season.
That is what makes this feel wrong. Mid-season changes like this on contending teams almost never happens.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
There is something about that game with Texas. It's very strange. Texas almost always underachieves. But somehow against Oklahoma, they are able play above their heads from time to time.
Texas is playing much better this year. The Horns struggled early But have looked really strong since saving a poor 2nd half against Kansas State. They are clearly better than the last several years worth of shorthorn teams.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Texas is playing much better this year. The Horns struggled early But have looked really strong since saving a poor 2nd half against Kansas State. They are clearly better than the last several years worth of shorthorn teams.
I agree it appears they have turned a corner that they seemed unable to under Strong. But even when Strong was the HC, they got OU a time or two that they had no business doing. I think they only beat OU once, but were close one other time.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
One would think that Oklahoma might go after Peter Golding after this season. The Oklahoma board mentioned that several time.
Why. He hasn’t even been here one season and is only Co-DC. Let the man build a resume and actually show what he is capable of first. IMO our defensive staff needs some experience anyways.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Why. He hasn’t even been here one season and is only Co-DC. Let the man build a resume and actually show what he is capable of first. IMO our defensive staff needs some experience anyways.
Golding comes to Alabama with a sterling reputation as a bright up-and-coming defensive coach. His 2017 UTSA defense ranks tied for
23rd nationally
in
yards per play
allowed. He also worked with former Alabama defensive line coach and current UTSA assistant coach
Bo Davis
. Davis’ recommendation would go a long way with UA coach
Nick Saban
, who already truly valued Davis’ player evaluations. FootballScoop.com reported that Golding previously interviewed for the Mississippi State defensive coordinator position.
https://www.tidesports.com/what-the...or-the-2018-alabama-defensive-coaching-staff/

If the opportunity is there, he will take it.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It would be nice to have a stable staff with no turnover for a couple of years, but poaching CNS's assistants makes other program's candidate search pretty simple.

champions77

Scout Team
Sep 6, 2006
Norman, Ok
I think the Poster that stated the OU President demanded Mike resign was not accurate. LR was asked that in a presser this week and he adamantly denied it. He also laughed off a rumor about Mike getting into a fight at
Halftime. I think the fact that OU finished 67th in Total d last year and are at 96th this year coupled with the embarrassing performance in the Rose Bowl.... and it was time. I know of no OU fans here in Norman that did not approve of his firing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the Poster that stated the OU President demanded Mike resign was not accurate. LR was asked that in a presser this week and he adamantly denied it. He also laughed off a rumor about Mike getting into a fight at
Halftime. I think the fact that OU finished 67th in Total d last year and are at 96th this year coupled with the embarrassing performance in the Rose Bowl.... and it was time. I know of no OU fans here in Norman that did not approve of his firing.
Fair enough, but it reeks of desperation.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Absolutely it does. Did I mention 124th in Red Zone Defense?
I get it. I don't blame you guys for firing someone not getting the job done. I think that you can still make the playoffs, but you need Texas to win out so you can beat them in the conference championship game.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
That game, like the OSU/UM game, features a lot of upsets. But OU could get a second shot at Texas in the conference championship game. I like the Sooner's chances in a rematch.
They call ‘em “rivalry” games for a reason...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IIRC Mike Stoops has had the reputation of being a volatile, hot head. Maybe his anger got the better of him in the locker room and he went over the edge.
Crazy rumors swirling that Stoops got into a fight with a LB during halftime of the Texas game...This might square with the punching the LB rumor.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.