Mike stoops out at oklahoma

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Can you hope to have a good defense playing basketball on grass?
Exactly, and the answer is no. It is an entirely different mindset. Quick scores lead to a tired defense, and having big leads leads to lack of focus and attention to detail. I think we are starting to see a bit of it ourselves. Of course, I doubt that we will abandon the idea of defense and put all of the best players on offense like the Big 12 seems to do. I'm guessing that Saban and staff manage to make our defense remain pretty salty.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wonder what the plan is for the Sooners right now. They are in the middle of a possible championship season. You can't change defensive philosophies at this point, so what change will actually make them better in the middle of this season?

This timing makes sense only if you have given up on the 2018 season or if he has become a clubhouse problem somehow.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
If and when Oklahoma ever gets their defense fixed, they will be even more scary/difficult to beat. Their offense has always been great. I wonder who the next QB is behind Kyler Murray?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Could be that Mike Stoops lost his defensive players and not making the change risked losing the entire team due to a lack of confidence in what their staff was doing on defense. Because frankly, I've seen them do things on defense that looked like Kiffin daring Al Davis to fire him via playcalling.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
I wonder what the plan is for the Sooners right now. They are in the middle of a possible championship season. You can't change defensive philosophies at this point, so what change will actually make them better in the middle of this season?

This timing makes sense only if you have given up on the 2018 season or if he has become a clubhouse problem somehow.
Perhaps this is indeed the mindset, not that they would say that publically, of course.

Considering that it appears that we might possibly have multiple unbeatens (one could argue that Bama [or UGA], Clemson, and ND look like virtual certainties at this point, with OSU probably a lock as well) and some more deserving one-loss teams (Bama or UGA, possibly PSU if it runs the table the rest of the way?), maybe OU is looking at the writing on the wall and figuring that this will be another year that the BIG12 doesn't get a team in the playoffs (I have no confidence in WVU).

If that's their thinking, getting rid of Stoops now gives them extra time to mitigate any potential recruiting damage (especially before the early signing period) that might occur if they let him go later. It also puts them ahead of the rest of the country in terms of plucking the best potential candidates off the coaching carousel to be their new DC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.