Mike stoops out at oklahoma

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
The local news affiliates reported this morning that there was a heated confrontation at halftime of the Texas game, with one defensive starter talking about quitting. I'm not a fire somebody guy, but it did not look like things were getting better, in fact quite the opposite.
Mike was a big part of OU coming back from the dead in 2000. I'm not a coach, but it was obvious he wasn't able to get things turned around.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The local news affiliates reported this morning that there was a heated confrontation at halftime of the Texas game, with one defensive starter talking about quitting. I'm not a fire somebody guy, but it did not look like things were getting better, in fact quite the opposite.
Mike was a big part of OU coming back from the dead in 2000. I'm not a coach, but it was obvious he wasn't able to get things turned around.
Sounds like the inmates are running the asylum...or else CLR may not be experienced enough to keep a firm rein on his staff and players. It sounds to me like MS was a scape-goat...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Now you’ve got me wondering if something happened during that rumored “halftime confrontation” that led to the OU President stepping in and making decision to send Stoops packing?

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Sounds like the inmates are running the asylum...or else CLR may not be experienced enough to keep a firm rein on his staff and players. It sounds to me like MS was a scape-goat...
We the president of OU just showed CLR who runs the football program. Now will the rest of the staff feel the need to go to the president if things aren't going their way?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IIRC Mike Stoops has had the reputation of being a volatile, hot head. Maybe his anger got the better of him in the locker room and he went over the edge.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I am not going to hold my breath until any Big 12 team gets good defense.

I was surprised that they would do Bob's brother this way. He can't be happy about.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I am not going to hold my breath until any Big 12 team gets good defense.

I was surprised that they would do Bob's brother this way. He can't be happy about.
Which gives me pause to think that maybe there was something more happening here than just your defense getting man handled by your rival. Certainly there have been issues with the defense under Mike Stoops. However, given he is the brother of one of your more highly regarded head coaches in the history of the program, one would think that he would be given the rest of the year to work things out and CLR would “pull the trigger” on that decision. I’m thinking a) boosters told president he had to go b) president didn’t think CLR could make that decision or didn’t want to put him in the position to make that decision or c) something else happened with Stoops that removes that decision from CLR or the AD.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Boosters getting involved.
Either that or fire Riley - but firing him solves nothing. Firing Stoops is a bandaid.
Remember Venables? How’s he doing now?
It’s something else in soonerland - not sure at all that it’s just the coach.
Unless he started to smell moldy from being there so long...[emoji41]
Maybe there’s some kind of automatic expiration date once you land in Norman...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.