Pondering the future... Bama/Saban/QB

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
To those that follow the game more closely than I do, this question might sound uninformed, but here goes (this is one reason I enjoy this board, to get info):

Will next season be Tua's last year at Bama, or will he be here two more seasons?

I also wonder... it's my understanding that Tua's younger brother also has the magic touch, and may well be an adequate replacement for his brother when the time comes. What is the timing here? Will the two brothers overlap, or will one be gone when the other arrives?

And my third part of the post is, if things work out this way, how many years ahead are we looking at a potential Hawaiian superstar playing QB? The reason I ask is that it has occurred to me that we may have between five and eight years ahead for Bama with this type talent at qb. At the end of that run, Saban will be in his early seventies...

I was talking to my brother-in-law about my theory...Saban may continue to amaze everybody and win and win, and then decide to go out a winner when the Hawaiian wave plays out.

My b-in-l often plays the devil's advocate. After hearing what I had to say, he reminded me we have another young qb we are also looking at...Paul Bryant's grandson. I believe ( and this a very uninformed guess) this grandson might even be eligible for a legacy scholly that wouldn't count against the team scholly limit, but that's a completely different topic.

To summarize a rambling post...(congrats if you've read this much)...

If we get lucky and get the maximum playing time out of the Tagovailoa duo, how many years is that?
Will Saban step down at that time, or will he keep on going?

Some speculation I've seen about Saban's retirement was that he wanted to put the national championship record out of reach for any other coach. Well, the table is set...
##########

A glaring side issue...I avoided Tua's last name in the post because I wasn't sure how to spell it correctly...I finally took a stab, and auto-correct replaced my attempt with Travolta. :eek2:

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1) Yes barring an injury I would suspect next year to be Tua’s last year.

2) taulia is very good.

3) I don’t really know how good taulia is, but I would say we have at least 4 years of Hawaiians at QB unless Paul Tyson wins the job.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
JMO, and I said this after the GA game - I think that Tua goes to the NFL as the #1 draft pick after the 2019 season. He will be 30-0 as a starter and wearing 3 championship rings. He may also be the second player in history to win the Heisman twice.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
JMO, and I said this after the GA game - I think that Tua goes to the NFL as the #1 draft pick after the 2019 season. He will be 30-0 as a starter and wearing 3 championship rings. He may also be the second player in history to win the Heisman twice.
That would be a tough act to follow, even for a gifted younger brother. Let's hope you are correct.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Tua has 2 years of eligibility following this year, but no one expects him to play more than 1 more. Taulia will be an incoming Freshman next season, but may redshirt and have 4 years remaining after Tua has departed. Tyson will be on the same track as Taulia.

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
I'm not too hasty to write off Mac Jones competing for the starting spot in a couple years. He showed his talent in the A-Day game, and will have two full years of working with Enos. It may very well be that Taulia or Paul Tyson are just too naturally gifted, but it may also be that Mac provides the most stability when that time comes.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
QBs are weird so there is always a chance but yeah if he keeps this up Tua is gone after next year. Heck Luck stayed for his senior year so it's always possible. But I think that's mostly a pipe dream.

His brother will be a Freshman next year and therefore likely redshirt.

I haven't watched Taulia play all that much but my understanding is while he's very good he's not Tua. And frankly I think it would be unfair to expect him to be. Tua is insanely special.

I don't think Tyson will be able to beat out Taulia. Strong arm but not consistently accurate.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
QBs are weird so there is always a chance but yeah if he keeps this up Tua is gone after next year. Heck Luck stayed for his senior year so it's always possible. But I think that's mostly a pipe dream.

His brother will be a Freshman next year and therefore likely redshirt.

I haven't watched Taulia play all that much but my understanding is while he's very good he's not Tua. And frankly I think it would be unfair to expect him to be. Tua is insanely special.

I don't think Tyson will be able to beat out Taulia. Strong arm but not consistently accurate.
When it comes to Tua, as Bum Philips would say, Tua may not be in a class by himself, but whatever class he’s in, it doesn’t take long to call the roll.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Agree that QB is the most important position on the team and in the passing game but it's easy to overlook the fabulous WR talent Bama currently has: Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith and Waddle are easily the greatest group in Bama's history. They are great and may be transcendent almost like Tua. Jeudy will likely leave when Tua does, not sure about Ruggs and don't think Smith would be first round, so he may stay. As a true fr, Waddle cannot leave til after 2020, i.e., the 2021 draft.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Agree that QB is the most important position on the team and in the passing game but it's easy to overlook the fabulous WR talent Bama currently has: Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith and Waddle are easily the greatest group in Bama's history. They are great and may be transcendent almost like Tua. Jeudy will likely leave when Tua does, not sure about Ruggs and don't think Smith would be first round, so he may stay. As a true fr, Waddle cannot leave til after 2020, i.e., the 2021 draft.
Good point. They are all very good and while they individually may or may not be on the same level as Tua they certainly something really special as a unit. I'd imagine we have the fastest WR Corp in the country.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
When Jeudy, Ruggs and Smith were signed, the staff had all of them rated as potential future first round picks. HUGE WR class that will likely be known as one of the top WR classes ever, for any school.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
While we are doing the mid season what ifs, how about Jalen taking a redshirt next season and returning in 2020? He is much improved from what I have seen.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
While we are doing the mid season what ifs, how about Jalen taking a redshirt next season and returning in 2020? He is much improved from what I have seen.
In that scenario, Jalen would be facing Tua's little brother, and CPB Grandson. Both will have time in our system. Either or both could be stiff competition.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Two things:

1) I think Tua stays at least until he gets his degree

2) I'm seeing "talk" about Kyler being the best QB right now. I think Tua separates himself from the pack once and for all when he plays a quality opponent, and stays in the whole game.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Two things:

1) I think Tua stays at least until he gets his degree

2) I'm seeing "talk" about Kyler being the best QB right now. I think Tua separates himself from the pack once and for all when he plays a quality opponent, and stays in the whole game.
He stays in the whole game and they turn him loose...............Oh Lord............he might throw for 500 yards

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.