Pondering the future... Bama/Saban/QB

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I don't think there is any value to playing Tua more than he is playing now. We get an insurmountable lead on the other team out put him on the shelf to avoid unnecessary injury. Cause we ain't winning a championship this year without Tua available.

Given the injuries we are continuing to sustain on defense, you can make the argument for playing Jalen even more because we are better at ball control when he is in there but not necessarily as efficient offensively.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Hey, I'm all for ball control. Win the scoreboard AND win ToP... Limits opportunities for injuries on D.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hey, I'm all for ball control. Win the scoreboard AND win ToP... Limits opportunities for injuries on D.
It also creates much closer games, in which one mistake can create a loss. I much prefer high powered offenses that score quickly.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Thats not what I'm implying here. Get up 2-3 TDs and THEN grind out the clock. 35 seconds between plays...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Tua is gone after next year. After his performances this year and potentially doing the same again next year..... hes a first round pick. No way he bypass that for senior year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thats not what I'm implying here. Get up 2-3 TDs and THEN grind out the clock. 35 seconds between plays...
It sounds good in theory, but doesn't work in reality. Alabama has found its offensive identity. You go fast, and you attack the field vertically. You do this with Tua, and then you do it with Jalen so he is ready if he is needed. For a team to be able to grind out a game, you have to develop an identity as that type of team. You have to practice that way, and play that way. That is simply not your identity this year.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Right now my hunch is that Tua will be 30-0 with 3 NC rings and 1-2 Heisman's and will be a LOCK for the Overall #1 NFL Draft Pick in 2020.

It would be almost a miracle for him come back for a Senior season. There would be nothing else to prove or show the NFL scouts.

Though he IS a mighty spiritual young man and who knows..... he and his family may pray and decide to come back so it's not 100% out of the question.

As for life around here post-Tua??

I've got my eggs in the Taulia basket. He's not 'Tua great' but he's great in his own way. He's putting up MASSIVE numbers this year in HS.

He looks like a reverse mirror image of Tua, same mechanics, footwork, release, etc everything. He's just not the same level of accurate as Tua.... but no one is there.

This is probably equivalent to this generations Peyton and Eli Manning. Both Great in their own ways and have NFL talent.

How lucky are we that both Tua and Taulia will have played for us??? I'm pretty giddy about it.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
1. Tua is gone after next year but I’ve been wrong before

2. Taulia will be as advertised, but the kicker is will we have an embarrassment of riches at WR that Tua has at his disposal?

3. I can imagine both brothers being responsible for 3-4 titles for CNS and he may elect to bang it up after this historic run, which we may never see again in our lifetime

Roll Tide

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm replying to the original post:

If Tua continues to play the way he has thus far, he should not stay in Tuscaloosa 1 second longer than he has to. He will be a very wealthy man. Teams will be vying for his services, and those at or near the top will move mountains to get him (New York Giants, LA Chargers, perhaps Tampa Bay and Miami as well).

Now, moving forward, let's temper some expectations. Tualia is VERY good....but he isn't Tua. I don't want anyone to take for granted what they're seeing right now. Tua is a once in a generation talent. However, the level of talent that Coach Saban is assembling in Tuscaloosa for such an extended period of time will likely never be seen again (only rivaled by that 90s to early 00s Miami run). Taulia can be special with all he'll have around him.

BUT....Taulia isn't the only QB in the upcoming class. As one of my really good friends (who played for Coach Bryant) has told me, he feels that the pressure to play Paul Tyson over Taulia is what will run Coach Saban out of Tuscaloosa (I disagree wholeheartedly, for the record). Paul Tyson is very good. When I saw him this summer, I thought he needed to get bigger in the lower body. He has looked much better this season than he did last season and even over the summer in 7 on 7. At best, he's AJ McCarron. At worst, he's Jay Barker. Pretty darn good either way. But side by side, Taulia is better in all aspects except size.

And even more than that, don't overlook Mac Jones. Nick is notorious for going with guys that the trusts over more talented guys (for example, nobody that knows anything about football can give me one football related reason why Hootie Jones should have been on the field over Deionte Thompson at any point last season). By that time, it will be Jones's 4th year at Alabama and he will have had 2.5 years of QB coaching from Dan Enos.

Either way, the bottom line is this, there is a reason why Coach Saban hired so many young coaches this past overhaul. Barring health issues, he has no intentions of going anywhere any time soon. And he wanted a hungry, energetic staff that was committed to proving that he is still (and will be) king of college football until he decides to leave. (Did you notice how irritated he sounded at SEC Media days when discussing coaches negative recruiting him about his age? There is a certain someone, who shall remain unnamed that got in his craw and is feuling all of this....)

Please, enjoy what we have right now. All this belly aching over giving up 31 to a team that we still beat by 34, just stop it. We are in the midst of something that will likely never be duplicated.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

If Tua continues to play the way he has thus far, he should not stay in Tuscaloosa 1 second longer than he has to. He will be a very wealthy man. Teams will be vying for his services, and those at or near the top will move mountains to get him (New York Giants, LA Chargers, perhaps Tampa Bay and Miami as well).

Now, moving forward, let's temper some expectations. Tualia is VERY good....but he isn't Tua. I don't want anyone to take for granted what they're seeing right now. Tua is a once in a generation talent. However, the level of talent that Coach Saban is assembling in Tuscaloosa for such an extended period of time will likely never be seen again (only rivaled by that 90s to early 00s Miami run). Taulia can be special with all he'll have around him.

BUT....Taulia isn't the only QB in the upcoming class. As one of my really good friends (who played for Coach Bryant) has told me, he feels that the pressure to play Paul Tyson over Taulia is what will run Coach Saban out of Tuscaloosa (I disagree wholeheartedly, for the record). Paul Tyson is very good. When I saw him this summer, I thought he needed to get bigger in the lower body. He has looked much better this season than he did last season and even over the summer in 7 on 7. At best, he's AJ McCarron. At worst, he's Jay Barker. Pretty darn good either way. But side by side, Taulia is better in all aspects except size.

And even more than that, don't overlook Mac Jones. Nick is notorious for going with guys that the trusts over more talented guys (for example, nobody that knows anything about football can give me one football related reason why Hootie Jones should have been on the field over Deionte Thompson at any point last season). By that time, it will be Jones's 4th year at Alabama and he will have had 2.5 years of QB coaching from Dan Enos.

Either way, the bottom line is this, there is a reason why Coach Saban hired so many young coaches this past overhaul. Barring health issues, he has no intentions of going anywhere any time soon. And he wanted a hungry, energetic staff that was committed to proving that he is still (and will be) king of college football until he decides to leave. (Did you notice how irritated he sounded at SEC Media days when discussing coaches negative recruiting him about his age? There is a certain someone, who shall remain unnamed that got in his craw and is feuling all of this....)

Please, enjoy what we have right now. All this belly aching over giving up 31 to a team that we still beat by 34, just stop it. We are in the midst of something that will likely never be duplicated.
Amen!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As one of my really good friends (who played for Coach Bryant) has told me, he feels that the pressure to play Paul Tyson over Taulia is what will run Coach Saban out of Tuscaloosa (I disagree wholeheartedly, for the record).
The only reason I don't see this happening is that CNS won't be bullied. And I think he's amassed enough power to stare down any of the old school boosters who are fixated on the name 'Bryant'.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
JMO, and I said this after the GA game - I think that Tua goes to the NFL as the #1 draft pick after the 2019 season. He will be 30-0 as a starter and wearing 3 championship rings. He may also be the second player in history to win the Heisman twice.
Yeah, Im going to go with " he stays for his senior year and helps the younger brother". The family is tight."

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Maybe this should be on the recruiting board, but Tua's getting us a lot of profile in the Pacific Rim. Maybe there's another Jesse Williams out there looking at Bama now?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Mack, great info as always but I would be very surprised If Enos stays around that long. The job he is doing with our QB's is getting nationwide attention and rightfully so. Somebody will lure him away.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Two things:

1) I think Tua stays at least until he gets his degree

2) I'm seeing "talk" about Kyler being the best QB right now. I think Tua separates himself from the pack once and for all when he plays a quality opponent, and stays in the whole game.
Where are you seeing this? The only thing I hear is he is a better runner and he is really really quick. If Tua could come out this year he would likely be the first pick. With him playing so little its actually enhancing not harming him. He is very efficient and it helps his stats not having to be in the game during garbage time to hand off left hand off right. Teams will be tanking next year to get Tua.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Mack, great info as always but I would be very surprised If Enos stays around that long. The job he is doing with our QB's is getting nationwide attention and rightfully so. Somebody will lure him away.
Hope you are wrong. We need to open the check book keep him around but I think you are probably right in that he will be a hot commodity.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Where are you seeing this? The only thing I hear is he is a better runner and he is really really quick. If Tua could come out this year he would likely be the first pick. With him playing so little its actually enhancing not harming him. He is very efficient and it helps his stats not having to be in the game during garbage time to hand off left hand off right. Teams will be tanking next year to get Tua.
Skip Bayless had it as a talking point today. Thats why I posted Tua needs to play a complete game, so his numbers aren't similar to Kyler...

For the record, I think Skip's wrong most of the time...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.