Week #7 Stats for Alabama Football

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Scoring Offense #1
Scoring Defense # 11 (Note: Miss State is #1 averaging 12.7) We will be fine.
Total Offense #4
Total Defense # 25 (Note: I'm not upset about this. I think we will be in Top 20 by the end of season.)
TOP #62
3rd down Conversion #3
4th down Conversion #24 (Note: It's weird because Bama is 2 out of 3 on 4th down, but teams above Alabama have converted over 10 times. )
Opponent 3rd down: #14
Opponent 4th down #13
Sack #10

Long Scrimmage Play # 4
Long Rushing Play #12
Long Passing Play #8
Long Punt Play #5 (Note: Tied with Auburn)
Long Kickoff Play #15

*Random Note: Alabama has attempted 11 passes with 6 completion for 60 yards in 4th quarters this season. *

There are few things we will need to clean up on Defense. Arkansas was a perfect game for the team to learn from because there was lot of missed tackles, players taking wrong angles to tackle, out of position, etc. This is correctable. It all starts with Mack Wilson and Dylan Moses and communication with secondary. They will improve. What's funny is that... we tend to play bad on 1st and 2nd downs throughout the game, but when we get to 3rd down, they are locked in. The stats above seem to suggest that we are in good shape for the most part. We just need to keep developing the players, and trust the process.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Just in the SEC

Total Offense
1. Alabama @ 567 yards/game

Total Defense
1. Georgia @ 283 yards/game
2. Mississippi State
3. Kentucky
4. Florida
5. Auburn
6. Texas A&M
7. Alabama @ 332 yards/game

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just in the SEC

Total Offense

Total Defense
2. Mississippi State
3. Kentucky
4. Florida
5. Auburn
6. Texas A&M
Does that scare you?

Just in the SEC

Total Offense

Total Defense
2. Mississippi State
3. Kentucky
4. Florida
5. Auburn
6. Texas A&M
On the defensive side, not as much separation as I thought. Plus, we really haven't played a full game on either side of the ball IN ANY GAME. Yards would be given up if you have playing 3rd and 4th string players.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
That number is skewed a bit by our 1's coming out early in games..NOT worried. We lost a corner, a very good corner, but we have 4s and 5s waiting to get in and play. Get them that time... Now is 100% better than November...when #7 could be coming back...
Does that scare you?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Just in the SEC

Total Offense

Total Defense
2. Mississippi State
3. Kentucky
4. Florida
5. Auburn
6. Texas A&M
Misdirection rushing plays from the other team are the only thing really hurting us. And even that is a bit inconsistent. I really do think we are missing Ronnie more than most people realize. He played like an LB in the Running Game. But - that's going to continue to improve. PLUS -- Jimbo and Morris are offensive minded guys.....who found a weakness and tried to exploit it and still lost by 3-5 scores....

Drew Lock is coming -- so be very afraid ;)

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Misdirection rushing plays from the other team are the only thing really hurting us. And even that is a bit inconsistent. I really do think we are missing Ronnie more than most people realize. He played like an LB in the Running Game. But - that's going to continue to improve. PLUS -- Jimbo and Morris are offensive minded guys.....who found a weakness and tried to exploit it and still lost by 3-5 scores....

Drew Lock is coming -- so be very afraid ;)
This Drew Lock line gets funnier every time you post it. :biggrin:

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
I picked these stats up from one of the stories in the weekly Tide news thread. They are season Offensive stats. I find them crazy-talk, mind-boggling...

- The Tide’s national-best 40 offensive touchdowns are on pace to break the school record of total touchdowns (74) in 2016 that included 16 non-offensive scores.

- Those 40 drives average just 5.4 plays to reach the end zone.

- In terms of time, touchdown possessions average 2 minutes, 6 seconds with an average distance of 63.5 yards.

I think it reinforces my position we score so quickly, its hard to coach up the D. JMOT

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Scare, no, concern, yes.
The scary part to me is just if this meets the issues with punting and place kicking. If the defense is struggling (someone put up a 2016 stat to try to ease our minds, but that was the season Alabama gave up 35 in a losing effort to Clemson), then the weakness in punting and place kicking could become an issue.

Basically, there are likely some teams that can score on Alabama. If they can do anything at all to slow Alabama down on offense, that could be a problem.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The scary part to me is just if this meets the issues with punting and place kicking. If the defense is struggling (someone put up a 2016 stat to try to ease our minds, but that was the season Alabama gave up 35 in a losing effort to Clemson), then the weakness in punting and place kicking could become an issue.

Basically, there are likely some teams that can score on Alabama. If they can do anything at all to slow Alabama down on offense, that could be a problem.
There is no defense this season as capable as Alabama's defense or Georgia's defense last year, and Tua put up 20 points on GA in a half. The Tua that did that was not nearly as good as the Tua who is taking the field for you right now. Your receivers are better, and your o-line is better - even your running backs are better because Bo was a step back from any of the guys getting carries for you this year.

So, IMO, if Tua is forced to play an entire game you score at least 50 points, even with a turnover or two. You should only worry if you believe that a team is capable of scoring 50+ on you. My Buckeyes are not going to do that, nor is Georgia, and Clemson won't come close.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So, IMO, if Tua is forced to play an entire game you score at least 50 points, even with a turnover or two. You should only worry if you believe that a team is capable of scoring 50+ on you. My Buckeyes are not going to do that, nor is Georgia, and Clemson won't come close.
Sometimes the ball takes a funny bounce. I get your point though, it seems unlikely that there's a problem, but first off it is within reason that a team could figure out a way to disrupt Alabama. One example would be what Miss. State did last year, where Miss. State just dominated time of possession. They had the ball for 38 minutes, despite having over 100 less yards.

Alabama already is struggling in time of possession this year, so that's one thing that can potentially be exploited. You do that, you can shrink the game, so a lucky break would be magnified along with the defense becoming worn out. The main thing though goes back to punting and place kicking. Even if Tua throws a perfect pass, it can still be dropped (or even worse tipped or fumbled for a turnover). In that case, it could be a punt or a field goal, both of which are a bad proposition.

If Alabama was great at those two things, if they still had JK Scott around I'd feel a little different, and if they had an elite place kicker I'd feel downright smug, but there are weaknesses and if those vulnerabilities come into play that could be a problem. Also, as much as I hate to say it, it stands to reason some defense is going to find a way to slow Alabama down a little, even if it's just by getting away with mugging Alabama receivers (happened last year) or just finding a way to get a lot of pressure on the QB. Also, if you tell me Alabama can score 5 touchdowns on pretty much anyone, I can buy that. 50 though? Alabama hasn't played an elite defense yet, I'm not that optimistic.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sometimes the ball takes a funny bounce. I get your point though, it seems unlikely that there's a problem, but first off it is within reason that a team could figure out a way to disrupt Alabama. One example would be what Miss. State did last year, where Miss. State just dominated time of possession. They had the ball for 38 minutes, despite having over 100 less yards.

Alabama already is struggling in time of possession this year, so that's one thing that can potentially be exploited. You do that, you can shrink the game, so a lucky break would be magnified along with the defense becoming worn out. The main thing though goes back to punting and place kicking. Even if Tua throws a perfect pass, it can still be dropped (or even worse tipped or fumbled for a turnover). In that case, it could be a punt or a field goal, both of which are a bad proposition.

If Alabama was great at those two things, if they still had JK Scott around I'd feel a little different, and if they had an elite place kicker I'd feel downright smug, but there are weaknesses and if those vulnerabilities come into play that could be a problem. Also, as much as I hate to say it, it stands to reason some defense is going to find a way to slow Alabama down a little, even if it's just by getting away with mugging Alabama receivers (happened last year) or just finding a way to get a lot of pressure on the QB. Also, if you tell me Alabama can score 5 touchdowns on pretty much anyone, I can buy that. 50 though? Alabama hasn't played an elite defense yet, I'm not that optimistic.
So basically you are worried that Alabama might lose a game in which everything goes wrong and the other team plays perfectly. Yeah, that could happen. I don't worry about that stuff.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
There is no defense this season as capable as Alabama's defense or Georgia's defense last year, and Tua put up 20 points on GA in a half. The Tua that did that was not nearly as good as the Tua who is taking the field for you right now. Your receivers are better, and your o-line is better - even your running backs are better because Bo was a step back from any of the guys getting carries for you this year.

Another one spot on. I don’t see any defense capable of keeping Bama from scoring 40+ points, anywhere in the country. I’ve said this before (CNS won’t, probably even after the season is over and stats prove it), this will be the best offense ever in Ttown, if Tua stays healthy. There are just too many weapons at the skill positions, and the Oline is as good (and deep) as it’s ever been. One or two players may have an off day, but you’d have to get to realistically impossible numbers for that to make a difference. JMO, but I don’t see it happening for at least one major reason (on the offense, anyway): leadership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I agree with this KrAzY. The one thing I have learned in sports and life, you never say never, any team can lose on a given day. I think it is highly unlikely that any defense can completely stop us, but if we were to have an off day and cough up the ball like we did against Ole Miss then we could lose. I think those who say we cannot lose because of Tua and our 50+ points a game offense have their collective heads in the sand.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree with this KrAzY. The one thing I have learned in sports and life, you never say never, any team can lose on a given day. I think it is highly unlikely that any defense can completely stop us, but if we were to have an off day and cough up the ball like we did against Ole Miss then we could lose. I think those who say we cannot lose because of Tua and our 50+ points a game offense have their collective heads in the sand.
Since no one has said that, that would be no one. Optimism does not equal stupidity, even if the concept is foreign to some.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
One big difference with our offense this year is that because we can score so quickly we not only have the ability to start the game fast but also the ability to close a deficit quickly. Look at OU vs Texas this past weekend as an example. I know OU lost but that's not the point (their D is terrible). But they went from 3 scores down(IIRC) to tied in what felt like an instant. We are capable of that and more.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Slowing Bama down ain’t gonna cut it; Bama has to be stopped, or it’s game/set/match. Anybody who thinks just slowing Bama down is a recipe for victory has their head in the sand. So I guess Bama isn’t capable of putting together 10,11 or 12 play drives.
Whatever.
I guess some aren’t listening to CNS when he says he’s gonna take what the defense gives him, whether it’s passing every down or running - it doesn’t matter to him. The problem with defending Bama is that you can’t set a defense to stop every potential play; unless you have superior athletes.
So how many teams have better defensive players than Bama has offensive players? And execute consistently better?
I’ll wait - the championship is about three months away, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.