What would the West be without Alabama?

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Could be a ton of really good teams in the SECW in 2-3 years...

TAM trending up
Arky trending up
LSU maybe getting better O side of ball
Not sure about the Miss schools, 50/50. I do like Matt Luke. thought he did a great job on the coaches NC game cast.
awburn, FunnyMaine said it best this week...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Really, this question is like asking "what is college football without Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and Clemson?"

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Really, this question is like asking "what is college football without Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and Clemson?"
without Alabama: Moving on to flag tossing as the preferred Saturday sport.

without Ohio State, clemson, and GA: Nirvana *add in Mich, PSU, Texas and USCw, you hit total enlightenment...

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well if Saban never comes to Alabama, how much longer does Tubs and Fulmer last. Does Urban Meyer stay at Florida and does Richt never part ways with UGA? Miles lasted for a while but LSU finally gave him the axe in the middle of 2016 when it seemed he was “Immune” to being processed.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
If you take away the best team from each Power 5 division, you are left with 10 ranked teams: SEC West has 4, SEC East has 2, Big Ten East has 2, Pac 12 North has 1, and the ACC Atlantic has 1. The other divisions of the Big Ten, the Pac 12, and the ACC have none. If we are comparing the SEC West this year to a few years back when other teams were national contenders, then yes, the division is down. If you are comparing them to other divisions, only the Big Ten East looks better, and the SEC East is about equal.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
without Alabama: Moving on to flag tossing as the preferred Saturday sport.

without Ohio State, clemson, and GA: Nirvana *add in Mich, PSU, Texas and USCw, you hit total enlightenment...
Sorry, but college football was built by those programs. You hate them because they are great.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Agreed, but that wasn't the question, or did I miss it?
You are right that the OP's question was a little different but 3 different posters in the thread said that the Big Ten East was better. Also, in answering the question about the best division I partially addressed the OP's question. IMO, the SEC is better in relation to the rest of college football this year than most realize. Though the SEC West sans Bama appears just OK, it is deceiving because they cannibalize each other since so many are close to the same level. 5 SEC West teams are ranked, 3 Big Ten East teams are. 8 total SEC teams are ranked. IMO, PSU is overrated but Mich is underrated.

Having said that there are no real NC threats in the West other than Bama. But IMO, the only ones in the entire country are Bama...OSU, UGA and maybe Clemson - in that order. I.e., these are the only teams that have a shot at beating Bama with OSU being the only one that poses a serious threat. And even they would need Bosa and would still have great difficulty if Bama played its A game even if OSU played theirs. They are the only program with the athletes on both sides of the ball and the coaching and the guts to give Bama a run if Bama is on. But Tua is more special than Haskins even though he is good. And Bama's WRs are really special, almost as fabulous as Tua.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yes....but now it's Secretariat and a bunch of mid-level claiming horses -- when a few years ago it was a true horse race.
When someone asks “who is Secretariat,” a reminder we are old......(happened 3 years ago with me mentioning Bartles and Jaymes).

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Remove Bama, the rest of the SEC looks much better as they will have 1 less loss a year when we are on their schedule. Seriously, remove Saban and the others look much better. This year Tua is making all of college football look inept on offense. I mean really, this team is a fighter jet, that just got rocket boosters added onto it. It really is unfair to the other div 1 teams right now. No team can score as fast as us now against even weak defenses. No way anyone outscores us facing our defense. If we hold teams to 40 or less we win period.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
After the LSU-UGA game, I suspect some might want to revisit this discussion.
You are right. I would eliminate them from possible Bama competitors and replace them with Michigan, though IMO, OSU is the primary threat. They have the most talent and a very good QB and coaches and do not fear. But something does not seem quite right with them. Maybe it's as simple as the OL or it could be some exotic psychological malady.

I'm sure my list will update shortly :smile:.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Remove Alabama and west would be easier for others to win. SEC would not have as many National Titles. SEC would fall behind 2-3 other conferences as the best. And I would have to quit watching college football.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.