What would the West be without Alabama?

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Someone brought this up at work yesterday and said the SECW has only one team that matters and that if Alabama just seceded from the SEC then we are seriously wondering who wins between 3 or 4 loss aTm and LSU for the right to get pulverized in Atlanta by whoever wins the East.

He basically said without “ Without Alabama and that lucky win over Washington by Auburn, the SECW is just like the BIG 10 West in that it’s 2 okay teams at the top, but a bunch of roadkill on the bottom.” I tend to agree that without Washington shooting themselves in the foot the West is mediocre to bad as a subdivision this year.

What do y’all think?
Would be a battle between A&M and LSU.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
With this year in mind, the SECw does not have a playoff contender without Alabama. Lots of very good teams, but next tier teams.
If Alabama wasn't in the SEC West I think LSU would be a very legitimate playoff contender. Their toughest remaining test would likely be against a team they already beat.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IMO, the SEC West is still the best division. First of all there isn't much competition. The B10 East powers are OSU, Mich, PSU, MSU, then Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland.
OSU: struggled, could have lost, to barely decent TCU; beat PSU by one; struggled, though no chance of losing, with Indiana; struggled, though no chance of losing, with Minn
Mich: lost to ND; almost lost to NW who lost to Akron and was manhandled by Duke
PSU: went to OT at home vs App State, lost to MSU who (see below)
MSU: almost lost to Utah State; lost to ASU; lost to NW

The only positive: Maryland beat Texas. That's it. That's the only feather in their hat. Just not impressed.

The SEC West:
Alabama: really has done nothing of note other than spectacularly crushing their weak schedule. Beat decent-good A&M by 22, decent Mizz by 29 and almost decent OM by 55? All 7 games essentially over by halftime.
LSU: spanked overrated Miami
A&M: could/should have beaten Clemson at home but lost
AU: beat decent-good Washington; they have since imploded
MSU: crushed poor KSU
OM: convincingly beat decent Texas Tech
Ark: like Rutgers

So, the SEC West has not done a lot, but it's much more than anyone else that I'm aware of.

In summary, the B10 East does have 2 teams in contention for the CFP, but would they be if they were in the SEC West with Alabama? IMO, no, nor would anyone else. It's almost like all of college football is down but Alabama (and Bama's D, though better than many of its fans realize, is probably thinner than any since 2007). I'm sure someone will change our perception before the year is over - I guess.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.