Question: Do you remember a time in the past when the O was ahead of the D? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Do you remember a time in the past when the O was ahead of the D?

I think 1989. Now, here comes the next question. How many of these years that people are mentioning did we win a title?

2. Advertisement

Wasn't 2014 an injury riddled season on the defensive side of the ball?

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    I think 1989. Now, here comes the next question. How many of these years that people are mentioning did we win a title?
    Conversationally that question may interest some, but it is pretty clear that this team is not like any of those previously mentioned.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Conversationally that question may interest some, but it is pretty clear that this team is not like any of those previously mentioned.
    Yes, this team is very, very talented and very well coached. However, it is difficult for some of us not to worry about the defense because when you grow up a Bama fan you learn that defense wins championships. We are in unfamiliar territory. Personally, I am enjoying watching this offense execute, but I would also like to see the defense smother some folks because I certainly do not want to see a game come down to needing a field goal. Is this being a bit greedy? Yes. What can I say? I'm a Bama fan.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Yes, this team is very, very talented and very well coached. However, it is difficult for some of us not to worry about the defense because when you grow up a Bama fan you learn that defense wins championships. We are in unfamiliar territory. Personally, I am enjoying watching this offense execute, but I would also like to see the defense smother some folks because I certainly do not want to see a game come down to needing a field goal. Is this being a bit greedy? Yes. What can I say? I'm a Bama fan.
    Did you see the stat that showed that this Alabama team is only allowing 0.9 points per possession before the game enters garbage time? That is the best in college football. Your second team has been giving up a lot of points, and your first team seems to relax a bit when the game gets out of hand. So that represents a difference from previous teams. But the stats show that this Alabama defense is among the best in the country when it needs to play well.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by BJ4TIDE View Post
    Wasn't 2014 an injury riddled season on the defensive side of the ball?
    No. But the offense lost a key play maker in Drake. 2014 defense is a lot like this year and 2010 defense in that they were very talented but very inexperienced. Plus I think by 2014 Kirby was not what he was from 09-12.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

1969 -- pre Wishbone...we couldn't stop water.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-American

I always take PFF with a grain of salt especially their college stuff but they apparently have our D as the highest graded in the country.

[The offense is going to get the majority of the praise with this team, and that’s understandable given how well they’ve played at some of the most important spots on the field. However, their defense is the highest-graded in the country, with Quinnen Williams generating another seven pressures last week against Arkansas. Linebacker Dylan Moses flashed last week, with five total stops. He’s allowed only a 45.2 passer rating into his coverage his entire career, while generating 31 stops in the process..

BamaNation Hall of Fame

2014 comes to mind.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Did you see the stat that showed that this Alabama team is only allowing 0.9 points per possession before the game enters garbage time? That is the best in college football. Your second team has been giving up a lot of points, and your first team seems to relax a bit when the game gets out of hand. So that represents a difference from previous teams. But the stats show that this Alabama defense is among the best in the country when it needs to play well.
    That is what we hope continues. However, it won't make for very good discussions if everyone just says how awesome we are and that we are unstoppable on offense and that no other team in the history of college football could stay with us. I hope we win every game by 30 points on our way to an SEC and national title, but that doesn't mean I won't continue to discuss each game and things we do well and things that concern me. This and golf are pretty much my hobbies.

BamaNation All-American

That is what we hope continues. However, it won't make for very good discussions if everyone just says how awesome we are and that we are unstoppable on offense and that no other team in the history of college football could stay with us. I hope we win every game by 30 points on our way to an SEC and national title, but that doesn't mean I won't continue to discuss each game and things we do well and things that concern me. This and golf are pretty much my hobbies.
    Idk, I'm having a heck of a lot of fun with that kind of talk

BamaNation Second Team

Agree that the defense is better than the stats show. But there are some issues on defense that we haven't seen in several years -- inside linebacker play is inconsistent to be kind, overall lack of depth, less of an outside rush than we've had in a while, now the Diggs injury. With this offense the D is probably good enough, but no question the O is carrying the team more than I have ever seen before, including all the years mentioned (I've followed Bama since the early 70s). Some of the defensive issues may be fixable on the practice field, and all the playing time that the 2nd and 3d stringers are getting may pay dividends later, but right now the gap between O and D is huge. If we had this year's D and last year's O we'd be looking at 2-3 losses this year (the horror!!)
    Last edited by Blueguitar; October 11th, 2018 at 09:27 AM.

BamaNation First Team

Despite the issues, I think the defense has heard the criticism and has something to prove...... I think they show up this weekend......