Question: Do you remember a time in the past when the O was ahead of the D?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
'73. Unbelievable offense, tepid defense -- culminating in the Sugar Bowl with repeated gashings by Wayne Bullock dive plays while the back 7 was too small and slow to do anything with Dave Casper.

Maybe 1973.

Yes to 2014. I was going to say 1989 until I saw the references to 2014.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Definitely 2014, the Defense sort of got worse as the season went on, Sims, Yeldon, Henry, and Cooper had to carry the team.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I can't say 2014. I'm reminded of a few things from that year. I don't know if it ever has been. Just my opinion though.
Nick Marshall threw for over 400 yards on that defense in BDS... Sims, Cooper, and Kiffin saved Kirby’s butt that game.

Yes LSU and Arkansas were exceptions to the rule of that year, but we probably are a 9-10 win team without the offense playing at a high level that year.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
In 2007 the offense was ahead of the defense all season. That team won by throwing the ball all over the place and the defense struggled to implement Saban's defensive plan due to it being a transitional year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think 1989. Now, here comes the next question. How many of these years that people are mentioning did we win a title?
Conversationally that question may interest some, but it is pretty clear that this team is not like any of those previously mentioned.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Conversationally that question may interest some, but it is pretty clear that this team is not like any of those previously mentioned.
Yes, this team is very, very talented and very well coached. However, it is difficult for some of us not to worry about the defense because when you grow up a Bama fan you learn that defense wins championships. We are in unfamiliar territory. Personally, I am enjoying watching this offense execute, but I would also like to see the defense smother some folks because I certainly do not want to see a game come down to needing a field goal. Is this being a bit greedy? Yes. What can I say? I'm a Bama fan.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, this team is very, very talented and very well coached. However, it is difficult for some of us not to worry about the defense because when you grow up a Bama fan you learn that defense wins championships. We are in unfamiliar territory. Personally, I am enjoying watching this offense execute, but I would also like to see the defense smother some folks because I certainly do not want to see a game come down to needing a field goal. Is this being a bit greedy? Yes. What can I say? I'm a Bama fan.
Did you see the stat that showed that this Alabama team is only allowing 0.9 points per possession before the game enters garbage time? That is the best in college football. Your second team has been giving up a lot of points, and your first team seems to relax a bit when the game gets out of hand. So that represents a difference from previous teams. But the stats show that this Alabama defense is among the best in the country when it needs to play well.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Wasn't 2014 an injury riddled season on the defensive side of the ball?
No. But the offense lost a key play maker in Drake. 2014 defense is a lot like this year and 2010 defense in that they were very talented but very inexperienced. Plus I think by 2014 Kirby was not what he was from 09-12.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.