Question: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 80
  1. #27
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,083

    Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    McElroy's Plateau


    Tua's Plateau
    Honestly, that is probably underrating Tua lol

  2. Advertisement
  3. #28
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arab, AL
    Posts
    16,145

    Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    I'm not sure why so many seem to have trouble remembering... it was a massive topic on this board. He did hit a slump in October. It was bad. We nearly lost the Tennessee game because of it (among other things, of course). He recovered nicely in November and had an MVP performance against Florida in December.

    But to answer the original question, the answer is no. I mean, none of us can tell the future, but you can be as confident as is humanly possible that it's not going to happen. Not only is Tua a Heisman candidate, but he's surrounded by a great deal more talent in a completely different offensive scheme.

  4. #29
    BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    7,974

    Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    Unless someone discovers real Kryptonite I don't see it happening this season.

  5. #30
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17,986

    Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    The long road to Tua's plateau:


  6. #31
    BamaNation All-SEC CraigD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    1,748

    Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    it's also unrealistic that his current trajectory will continue
    Respectfully...why? If his talent level is high as it has appeared, game planning alone may not stop him or even substantially slow him. If his receivers can continue to get open and Tua can continue to find and hit them, who can stop that?

    At this point itís almost comical at times. Itís almost like the defense isnít even trying. Why bother? (To use my favorite movie line ever, from Strange Brew: ďNo point in steering now.Ē). See: first play vs. Arkansas, several plays vs UL-L. Tua has such talent all over the field and is such a talent himself.

    I donít doubt that the numbers will go down somewhat when tougher defenses come around, but honestly I see it as just delaying the inevitable. Instead of a one-play, 75-yard drive it will be a 10-play, 75-yard drive with a few runs sprinkled in. I think Tua will look even MORE impressive when we actually see him engineer a sustained drive, throwing surgical passes all over the field, rather than drives like the first play vs. Arkansas. Plus, he may get to play more minutes, which will be awesome.

    Iím actually looking forward to it. I like watching him play. It makes me happy. Good times indeed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CraigD; October 10th, 2018 at 12:33 PM.

  7. #32
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arab, AL
    Posts
    16,145

    Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigD View Post
    Respectfully...why? If his talent level is high as it has appeared, game planning alone may not stop him or even substantially slow him. If his receivers can continue to get open and Tua can continue to find and hit them, who can stop that?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Steelers?

  8. #33
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    18,249

    Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I'm not sure why so many seem to have trouble remembering... it was a massive topic on this board. He did hit a slump in October. It was bad. We nearly lost the Tennessee game because of it (among other things, of course). He recovered nicely in November and had an MVP performance against Florida in December.

    But to answer the original question, the answer is no. I mean, none of us can tell the future, but you can be as confident as is humanly possible that it's not going to happen. Not only is Tua a Heisman candidate, but he's surrounded by a great deal more talent in a completely different offensive scheme.

    I never bought the notion he ďhit a slumpĒ because we werenít a QB dependent offense.

    Greg has a stellar day, maybe a career day against Arky that year. But some of his other totals even before SCAR were questionable (147 yards passing in 34 attempts against Ole Miss, most notably, and though 13 of 15, only 176 on UNT, And he fumbled in that one on the first play. Also - and I was at work - wasnít there a blatant PI that wasnít called on one of the drives in the first half against the Vols?

    Yeah, McElroy didnít do well at points there but how much of that was the increase in competition from facing lousy foes like FIU and UNT to decent ones?

    That being said.....the wonder is what happens when Tua faces genuine adversity for the first time. I think thatís probably whatís being said. We will see but he sure wasnít afraid of failure against UGA with it all on the line.

  9. #34
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,698

    Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    Most of us remember 2009 and how GMac hit a wall in his production. Most of us agreed it was the long grind of a college football season to a new starter.

    First question: can Tua avoid this wall?

    Second question: does playing so little in the second half of these games help decrease his chances of his production fading as the grind continues?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is zero things in common between Greg and Tua. Greg was a game manager, Tua is the best QB ever to play for Bama, period end of comparison.

  10. #35
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17,986

    Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I never bought the notion he “hit a slump”
    Neither did I. He continued to play up to his level, but defenses had figured out what that meant and game plans were put in place to meet that threat. The good news - Ingram was so good that no game plan could stop him. Without Ingram, your season is lost in 2009.

    GMac was never more than a good QB. He played to his potential and was lucky enough to play for Alabama.

  11. #36
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,698

    Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I never bought the notion he “hit a slump” because we weren’t a QB dependent offense.

    Greg has a stellar day, maybe a career day against Arky that year. But some of his other totals even before SCAR were questionable (147 yards passing in 34 attempts against Ole Miss, most notably, and though 13 of 15, only 176 on UNT, And he fumbled in that one on the first play. Also - and I was at work - wasn’t there a blatant PI that wasn’t called on one of the drives in the first half against the Vols?

    Yeah, McElroy didn’t do well at points there but how much of that was the increase in competition from facing lousy foes like FIU and UNT to decent ones?

    That being said.....the wonder is what happens when Tua faces genuine adversity for the first time. I think that’s probably what’s being said. We will see but he sure wasn’t afraid of failure against UGA with it all on the line.
    Amen so many talking heads talk about how he will handle good teams. Took over in National Title game when we were behind, against #2 team in the nation and ripped it up. No9w he is even better as he has more playing time. I see no one out there who can stop this offense, slow it down a bit maybe. No worries if they try to stop Tua we still have the best backs in the nation. And the defense will be better prepared as they get more filed time. 18 happens this year.

  12. #37
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    32,880

    Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I never bought the notion he “hit a slump” because we weren’t a QB dependent offense.

    Greg has a stellar day, maybe a career day against Arky that year. But some of his other totals even before SCAR were questionable (147 yards passing in 34 attempts against Ole Miss, most notably, and though 13 of 15, only 176 on UNT, And he fumbled in that one on the first play. Also - and I was at work - wasn’t there a blatant PI that wasn’t called on one of the drives in the first half against the Vols?

    Yeah, McElroy didn’t do well at points there but how much of that was the increase in competition from facing lousy foes like FIU and UNT to decent ones?

    That being said.....the wonder is what happens when Tua faces genuine adversity for the first time. I think that’s probably what’s being said. We will see but he sure wasn’t afraid of failure against UGA with it all on the line.
    yeah, i can't really think of more "adversity" to have to face than what he was thrown into last year vs uga.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

    ó Thomas Pynchon

  13. #38
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    32,880

    Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Neither did I. He continued to play up to his level, but defenses had figured out what that meant and game plans were put in place to meet that threat. The good news - Ingram was so good that no game plan could stop him. Without Ingram, your season is lost in 2009.

    GMac was never more than a good QB. He played to his potential and was lucky enough to play for Alabama.
    the barn stoned our running game in 2009. mark only had 30 yds (on 16 carries) and trent had 51
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

    ó Thomas Pynchon

  14. #39
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    639

    Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

    He can absolutely hit McElroy's wall! He can also hit his house, his car, the trees in his yard and the flower pot on his back porch. All while avoiding a defender with a spin move.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!