Question: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer14 View Post
    Arguably, if coach would have put him in 4th quarter, we’d have won the state rivalry too.
    But instead we got an extra week off to rest up and Gus a contract extension!
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

As accurate as he is, he'll hit a gnat in flight about to land on the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    But instead we got an extra week off to rest up and Gus a contract extension!
    And their fans still complain about all that...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

To make a more serious reply to the OP, I think we all understand that Tua can't continue with zero INTs and his QBR as high as it is now. However, Mac is still a very poor comparison. Mac had a very weak downfield arm and he'd be the first to admit it. Once teams figured that out, they squatted on his short and intermediate routes and he resorted to dumpoffs. His list of targets was far shorter than Tua's and, with apologies to the ones other than Jones, just weren't in the same class. IOW, I think it's to be expected to see a couple of INTs and a slightly lower QBR, but I don't think there's any reason to expect the sort of slump Greg had...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    And their fans still complain about all that...
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Second Team

If Tua hits his ceiling, you'll need a telescope to see it, a helicopter to get up to it, and an oxygen mask while visiting.

FB|BB Moderator

I think the consensus short answer to the opening question is, “No.”

BamaNation All-American Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    There is no wall. GMac was exposed. Tua has proven his abilities against GA.
    This exactly.
    McElroy was to me much like Shula.
    Those of us on here who are old enough to remember Shula Episode 1 - The Quarterback remember a marked drop off between season 1 and season 2. What I always said was that teams realized he couldn’t throw the ball over 35 yards with any degree of accuracy. Once they realized they had a very short field to defend his effectiveness dropped off significantly. I just don’t see anything like that happening with Tua.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...e-shula-1.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American crimson fan man's Avatar

What makes Tua more dangerous is the receivers. I have seen plays to where he could pick from more then one receiver. How can teams cover all these receivers at one time without having an elite backfield which nobody really has. Tua is also fast enough to find the one or two open to complete the pass almost at will. Just very fun to watch.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Greg took his wall with him when he left the university. He was a game manager and does not compare in any way to Tua. Tua has forgotten more about passing than “Gmac” will ever know. And frankly I’m not sure Alabama history will be kind to Greg if he keeps up what he is currently doing. After listening to Greg add the color commentary to the game on Saturday, frankly I don’t like him anymore. That’s right, I said I no longer like him. He seemingly goes out of his way to distance himself from us and slam Alabama any chance that he gets. I get not being a homer, but he seems almost by his commentary to be ashamed to have gone to school here. He obviously wants a career in big time broadcasting and for some reason feels that his past here is a liability instead of an asset. At least that’s the way he sounds to me.

The fact is, Greg lucked out by being at the right place at the right time and respect for seniority(next in line). Saban would never have recruited him.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; October 10th, 2018 at 09:53 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar

Middle school Tua > 2009 GMac

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Greg took his wall with him when he left the university. He was a game manager and does not compare in any way to Tua. Tua has forgotten more about passing than “Gmac” will ever know. And frankly I’m not sure Alabama history will be kind to Greg if he keeps up what he is currently doing. After listening to Greg add the color commentary to the game on Saturday, frankly I don’t like him anymore. That’s right, I said I no longer like him. He seemingly goes out of his way to distance himself from us and slam Alabama any chance that he gets. I get not being a homer, but he seems almost by his commentary to be ashamed to have gone to school here. He obviously wants a career in big time broadcasting and for some reason feels that his past here is a liability instead of an asset. At least that’s the way he sounds to me.

The fact is, Greg lucked out by being at the right place at the right time and respect for seniority(next in line). Saban would never have recruited him.
    I agree, and I have no idea why he feels that way. It certainly wasn't a barrier in Rece Davis' way to the top...

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar

Theres a vast world of difference in Greg and tua where talent and skill go. I love gred and he did his best but tua was better than Greg as a freshmanhes better than an right now and we hae probably not seen a an like him at an alabama game since Brett Favre rolled into birmingham and handed us an L.