Question: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Most of us remember 2009 and how GMac hit a wall in his production. Most of us agreed it was the long grind of a college football season to a new starter.

First question: can Tua avoid this wall?

Second question: does playing so little in the second half of these games help decrease his chances of his production fading as the grind continues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There is no wall. GMac was exposed. Tua has proven his abilities against GA.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Tua has no played a full game not likely he is going to be mentally exhausted anytime soon. Looking at film will only give coordinators sleepless nights.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Most of us remember 2009 and how GMac hit a wall in his production. Most of us agreed it was the long grind of a college football season to a new starter.

First question: can Tua avoid this wall?

Second question: does playing so little in the second half of these games help decrease his chances of his production fading as the grind continues?

Really, We are in midst of something special going on and you're concerned about Tua hitting the wall? McElroy is nowhere near Tua's level.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I get what you are saying as far as a plateau effect. I wouldn't mention McElroy because they aren't even on the same planet talent wise. Greg's ceiling in his senior year was the floor that Tua started with in his true freshman spring.

I think the question of a plateau is a good one. I don't think so given that there isn't as much tape of Tua given that he's only played basically 3 full games of football given how early he is pulled and how quickly we are scoring. He's not dropping back a ton. That also adds to the fact that he should be fresh and competitive and not as mentally "worn down" by the grind of the season. I don't even think we've seen the competitive best of Tua this season. IMO we haven't seen his ceiling.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Go see Tua's tweet today about bacon wrapped french toast...I don't think there's a wall he cannot clear...he has a great sense of self...and his humility is overwhelming...seriously. He is as well grounded as any 19 year old I have ever seen...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
A bad game isn't "hitting the wall". He had a good November in 2009.
I used one game as an example. Around midseason he hit a three game wall between the Ole Miss, South Carolina and Tennessee game where he definitely struggled. Call it what you want. But normally when you string together three bad consecutive games it gets called something, a "wall", "slump" etc.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I’m not even following the alleged logic of the thread.

McElroy threw for 276 yards against LSU in a “run first” offense. He threw for 225 in the Iron Bowl. That’s from a game where Auburn sold out to keep Ingram from running. Yeah, he wasn’t so great against SC, but Ingram ran all over them. And Tennessee, well, that was back in those days their off week was always before us.

The only wall hit during an Alabama game in 2009 was Tiger Woods wrecking his SUV during the Iron Bowl.

But it fails on a number of points.

McElroy wasn’t the passer that Tua is; wasn’t as mobile; with the exception of Julio didn’t have the receivers we have now; and to be blunt the SEC of 2009 was much tougher than now.

I think the frightening thing for everyone is that the goal of every Tide QB is to win a national title. Doing that eases the pressure somewhat. Tua already did that in a game he didn’t even start. Every throw now is adding to the legend. The lack of “I have to do this” turning instead into “let’s do this” ought to frighten every opponent.

Tua and McElroy have only one thing in common: both won national titles as Alabama QB.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I’m not even following the alleged logic of the thread.

McElroy threw for 276 yards against LSU in a “run first” offense. He threw for 225 in the Iron Bowl. That’s from a game where Auburn sold out to keep Ingram from running. Yeah, he wasn’t so great against SC, but Ingram ran all over them. And Tennessee, well, that was back in those days their off week was always before us.

The only wall hit during an Alabama game in 2009 was Tiger Woods wrecking his SUV during the Iron Bowl.

But it fails on a number of points.

McElroy wasn’t the passer that Tua is; wasn’t as mobile; with the exception of Julio didn’t have the receivers we have now; and to be blunt the SEC of 2009 was much tougher than now.

I think the frightening thing for everyone is that the goal of every Tide QB is to win a national title. Doing that eases the pressure somewhat. Tua already did that in a game he didn’t even start. Every throw now is adding to the legend. The lack of “I have to do this” turning instead into “let’s do this” ought to frighten every opponent.

Tua and McElroy have only one thing in common: both won national titles as Alabama QB.
This may just be the best post about Tua and his play this year. Walls come from fear...and Tua knows no fear. I still marvel at how his parents have raised him to succeed at such a level.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Really, We are in midst of something special going on and you're concerned about Tua hitting the wall? McElroy is nowhere near Tua's level.
Well the, "when will he throw an interception" thread is already here, so I went a little farther out.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I get what you are saying as far as a plateau effect. I wouldn't mention McElroy because they aren't even on the same planet talent wise. Greg's ceiling in his senior year was the floor that Tua started with in his true freshman spring.

I think the question of a plateau is a good one. I don't think so given that there isn't as much tape of Tua given that he's only played basically 3 full games of football given how early he is pulled and how quickly we are scoring. He's not dropping back a ton. That also adds to the fact that he should be fresh and competitive and not as mentally "worn down" by the grind of the season. I don't even think we've seen the competitive best of Tua this season. IMO we haven't seen his ceiling.
I'm not comparing talent. I'm using McElroy as an example of a first year starter who hit a slump towards the middle of the season because of the fatigue associated with big time college football.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

I hope you're right.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.