Question: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Yeah I think we agree here.

Greg - and I love the guy, I really do - was a competent accompanying musician in the studio capable of playing out on the road. The star in 09 was the defense, Julio and - as the year progressed - Ingram.

Tua is Mick Jagger, taking a great band to legend.
This is the best analogy I have heard LOL, you nailed it.This team has won titles with so so QB's, Tua is a great QB and even if someone slows him we have great RB's and so far they have been well preserved. Our RB's will be the best rested come late season sprint for the Title. This is a 2 headed monster like no one has seen before. Our defense got a slap last week, expect to see them step it up a notch from this point.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah I think we agree here.

Greg - and I love the guy, I really do - was a competent accompanying musician in the studio capable of playing out on the road. The star in 09 was the defense, Julio and - as the year progressed - Ingram.

Tua is Mick Jagger, taking a great band to legend.
i can't wait to see tua strut around like a rooster after his next "wow" play

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Most of us remember 2009 and how GMac hit a wall in his production. Most of us agreed it was the long grind of a college football season to a new starter.

First question: can Tua avoid this wall?

Second question: does playing so little in the second half of these games help decrease his chances of his production fading as the grind continues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is an interesting thought. Not only do people "hit a wall" at times during the second half due to being worn out, but we also play tougher teams down the stretch that cause production to drop. Plus, those teams have had an opportunity to scout what we have been doing and finding tendencies. That is exactly where I think it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise with regards to Tua not playing much in the second half. Teams don't know what we are likely to do in a close game coming down to the wire because we haven't had it happen. Of course, we also don't have the confidence that comes with having that experience and coming through it successfully. I'm thinking it will be fun to watch how things unfold.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Switching it up a bit, I think the question should be, Will Tua be able to reach Greg’s wall? Despite how good Alabama has been for the past 10yrs, Greg is the only QB to lead a team to an undefeated season and a National Championship in an arguably much tougher conference at the time. AJ couldn’t do it, Blake couldn’t do it, Jake couldn’t do it, Jalen couldn’t do it. Will Tua be the first QB to break the one-loss season wall only overcome by Greg? I think it is highly likely.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
As accurate as he is, he'll hit a gnat in flight about to land on the wall.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To make a more serious reply to the OP, I think we all understand that Tua can't continue with zero INTs and his QBR as high as it is now. However, Mac is still a very poor comparison. Mac had a very weak downfield arm and he'd be the first to admit it. Once teams figured that out, they squatted on his short and intermediate routes and he resorted to dumpoffs. His list of targets was far shorter than Tua's and, with apologies to the ones other than Jones, just weren't in the same class. IOW, I think it's to be expected to see a couple of INTs and a slightly lower QBR, but I don't think there's any reason to expect the sort of slump Greg had...

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
If Tua hits his ceiling, you'll need a telescope to see it, a helicopter to get up to it, and an oxygen mask while visiting.:cool:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
There is no wall. GMac was exposed. Tua has proven his abilities against GA.
This exactly.
McElroy was to me much like Shula.
Those of us on here who are old enough to remember Shula Episode 1 - The Quarterback remember a marked drop off between season 1 and season 2. What I always said was that teams realized he couldn’t throw the ball over 35 yards with any degree of accuracy. Once they realized they had a very short field to defend his effectiveness dropped off significantly. I just don’t see anything like that happening with Tua.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mike-shula-1.html

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.