Question: Will Tua hit McElroy's wall?

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
What makes Tua more dangerous is the receivers. I have seen plays to where he could pick from more then one receiver. How can teams cover all these receivers at one time without having an elite backfield which nobody really has. Tua is also fast enough to find the one or two open to complete the pass almost at will. Just very fun to watch.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Greg took his wall with him when he left the university. He was a game manager and does not compare in any way to Tua. Tua has forgotten more about passing than “Gmac” will ever know. And frankly I’m not sure Alabama history will be kind to Greg if he keeps up what he is currently doing. After listening to Greg add the color commentary to the game on Saturday, frankly I don’t like him anymore. That’s right, I said I no longer like him. He seemingly goes out of his way to distance himself from us and slam Alabama any chance that he gets. I get not being a homer, but he seems almost by his commentary to be ashamed to have gone to school here. He obviously wants a career in big time broadcasting and for some reason feels that his past here is a liability instead of an asset. At least that’s the way he sounds to me.

The fact is, Greg lucked out by being at the right place at the right time and respect for seniority(next in line). Saban would never have recruited him.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Greg took his wall with him when he left the university. He was a game manager and does not compare in any way to Tua. Tua has forgotten more about passing than “Gmac” will ever know. And frankly I’m not sure Alabama history will be kind to Greg if he keeps up what he is currently doing. After listening to Greg add the color commentary to the game on Saturday, frankly I don’t like him anymore. That’s right, I said I no longer like him. He seemingly goes out of his way to distance himself from us and slam Alabama any chance that he gets. I get not being a homer, but he seems almost by his commentary to be ashamed to have gone to school here. He obviously wants a career in big time broadcasting and for some reason feels that his past here is a liability instead of an asset. At least that’s the way he sounds to me.

The fact is, Greg lucked out by being at the right place at the right time and respect for seniority(next in line). Saban would never have recruited him.
I agree, and I have no idea why he feels that way. It certainly wasn't a barrier in Rece Davis' way to the top...

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Theres a vast world of difference in Greg and tua where talent and skill go. I love gred and he did his best but tua was better than Greg as a freshmanhes better than an right now and we hae probably not seen a an like him at an alabama game since Brett Favre rolled into birmingham and handed us an L.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think he is trying to be like Herbie. He got credibility when the Ohio State fans turned on him from time to time.
Herbstreit got credibility by being impartial. GMac is not being impartial. He has swung too far away from Alabama. Herbstreit actually believes what he says, which creates credibility. GMac is saying things that he can't possibly believe just to sound less biased, which comes off sounding lame and insincere. No one is buying it, and it is just annoying.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He irritates fans so much they're making videos making fun of him.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1048691385690476544

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017

That seems a little harsh. Maybe I missed something during the broadcast, but I didn't think he was out of line. While he was a game manager type of QB, he did what he was asked to do quite well. And in the 2009 SECCG he really excelled. That would have been a tight game if it hadn't been for him having a career day.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
That seems a little harsh. Maybe I missed something during the broadcast, but I didn't think he was out of line. While he was a game manager type of QB, he did what he was asked to do quite well. And in the 2009 SECCG he really excelled. That would have been a tight game if it hadn't been for him having a career day.
I have no problem with what happened or even how he performed when he was a player here. It’s all of his snide comments and backhanded remarks that he has made collectively regarding our players and program since he has joined the SEC Network/ESPN that I am sick and tired of. I will never listen to him do a game again and will not watch his stupid programs on the network either.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've never seen a qb that can process information by going thru this progressions as fast as Tua. It's not just his arm talent, which is insane, but if a defense can take away his first, second or third option, he'll find his fourth in a matter of just a couple of seconds. It's one reason why he's hardly ever touched in the pocket. He gets rid of the ball so fast. And then, when he throws it, he is just insanely accurate.

CNS comparing him to Drew Brees is crazy too. Don't recall CNS ever doing this with another player.

Rolltidewill92

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 11, 2018
Tua has superb pre snap recognition, is fully exceptional at post snap reads, and when the play breaks down he knows the wide outs routes based off of scramble drills. There is no wall for him to hit in my opinion, unless they drop 8, in which case I'm sure he'll pick that up and kill the pass for a run. Maybe I'm wrong, but as of now, I feel pretty good about it.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
See LSU 2009 when Coach almost pulled the redshirt off AJ McCarron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was skimming through this thread and this is the first time I saw this mentioned. The way I remember it was that GMac had been struggling and that continued in the 1st half of the LSU game. CNS nearly put AJ in the game but decided to stick with GMac. GMac threw a pass to Julio, Julio made a great play and scored on a long TD pass and that seemed to break the slump. In the SECCG GMac played very well and I though the difference was that he was allowed to run the ball early on. In those days CNS did not want the QB to run at all and GMac always seemed to be more effective when he was able to run a few times during the game.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Like the kool aid guy in old commercial, will hit the wall and destroy it. Old farts like me remember that commercial, young folks probably never saw it or know what I am talking about

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.